Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Derby cover oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Changing the Derby cover oil

ha! i searched for info and im sure there is none because its so easy, i just want to check first:

To change the fluid that is behind the derby cover i am going to do this, please someone tell me if im forgetting something:

1. Drain old oil out by taking the bolt off the bottom. Then replace bolt.
2. Take derby cover off (yeah what a pain in the *** that was)
3. Take a funnel and pour a quart of HD SPECIAL FORMULA SPORT-TRANS FLUID (Gear and chaincase lubricant) in while bike is upright.
4. Replace derby cover and start bike up like normal, ride down the street then come back because its raining.

DID I MISS ANYTHING? am i using the right stuff? Do i have to replace the gasket? Or can i just wipe the old one off and reuse?
Feel free to laugh at my superiour technical terms like "Derby cover oil"
Thanks guys.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:04 AM
hdpig
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing the Derby cover oil

you forgot to put your wet weather gear on so you don't have to come back

Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

ha yeah, i have to buy some first.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:07 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

anyone? or is there a link here somewhere someone can point me to? I know i need a service manual but right now im broke and have to get this done by this weekend. just someone replying yes i got it all would help.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM
DJJSR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do not have to remove the derby cover to fill the oil. You can fill it through the primary chain inspection hole. If you do remove the derby cover, be aware that there is a spring and nut for the clutch adjustment behind that cover that may fall out. Just be sure you put them back in place when you put the cover back on. Also be sure the quad ring (gasket) is in the proper place when you put the cover on.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

thank you. Is there a way to check the level of the fluid in there?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Run the bike up to operating temperature, turn it off, and then drain the old fluid.

You don't need to pull the Derby cover unless you want to check out your clutch linkage adjustment at the same time you do the fluid change.

When I first got my 2005 Sportster I heard all kind of things when it came to the correct amount of fluid to add; 28 oz, 32 oz, and about everything else.

I decided to verify the amount, so on the first change I pulled the Derby cover (with the bike in a level position) and added fluid until it was at the correct level. On my bike it took exactly 1 quart to bring it up to the correct level.

So I no longer pull the Derby cover when changing primary/tranny fluid. I just unscrew the 2 screws holding the primary chain inspection cover, remove the solid gasket behind it, pour in 1 quart of my 'fluid of choice', and I'm good to go.

Saves messing with (and or replacing) the O-Ring gasket behind the Derby cover, and makes the procedure much easier and quicker.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltlick

thank you. Is there a way to check the level of the fluid in there?
I can't find a way to check the fluid level without removing the derby cover. It is unnecessary to remove the derby cover to change primary oil. A good practice, check for oil leak every trip, you will be find. The primary oil is no gonna go anywhere if there isn't a leak to begin with.
Have fun! Alex

Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

From the Redline Oil website:

MTL is the correct product for Big-Twin primary chaincase. Big-Twin transmissions should use Red Line Heavy Shockproof, while Sportster and Buell Tranmission should use Red Line 75W90 GL-5 gear oil.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:24 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

So i trade one problem for another. I replaced the gear oil, got the new derby cover back on, got my battery tender on (after cross connecting the terminals with my wrench and almost blowing myself up) and go to start up the bike....now the clutch dont work. You pull on the handle and no resistance. Im wondering what the hell i did now. Ill have to talk my wife into sitting on the bike again so i can remove the derby cover and see if the linkage came loose....in the beginning it seemed so simple...replace the derby cover...i had no idea id stip out a screw, have to dremel it out then dump oil out all over the place, have to replace the oil then this. Good lord.

Quick Reply: Changing the Derby cover oil