Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed V&H short shots with quiet baffles

Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Iron916
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed V&H short shots with quiet baffles

So I went with the quiet baffles based on reviews from other riders stating that they were pretty darn loud and annoying to some extent. The exhaust that was on the bike previously was slip ons with baffles removed which was crazy loud with very sharp pops, plops, pops. You get the picture. So I was used to the loudness. When I installed the short shots with quiet baffles...it seems too quiet now!!! But all my friends say its still loud, but much cleaner. It's more of a clean, muscle type sound. Real grunty. In the next day or two I will upload a video so you guys have an idea.

Now my question is for all the folks with short shots with regular baffles...how are you liking the sound?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Schreff
Intermediate

I just installed mine last night. I love how loud they are... Almost wish they were louder lol... What do u have for Fuel managment? How long did it take u to install them? It took me about 4 1/2 hours by myself... It was a PITA!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Iron916
Advanced

Nothing in the way of fuel management yet. I only have an exhaust on the bike. It took me about 3-4 hours of working time. The best thing to do is read the directions before you start because I would jump ahead thinking I knew what I was doing then have to go back and change things a little for example when you put the heat shield clamps on. They have to go a certain way which I realized after I put both together, luckily not on the bike though. So I ended up wasting 15 min or so doing that.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Schreff
Intermediate

Yea I went step by step... The damn nuts at the motor were a pain... Wish I would of had another set of hands lol... Heres a pic. Im going to powdercoat or paint the heat sheilds a copper color. Which is why I went chrome.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Baffles are critical to maintain a good pulse wave.
Back pressure Is everything for sound and performance.
as Is the 1 3/4" pipe diameter that Is optimal for a sportster engine
to maintain the right exhaust velocity.

The heat shield Is the best I've ever seen on those,,
No melted boots,,,cool
V&H pipes shure are popular and they look great,,,XD

Old 04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Awesome pipes - had a set on my former 05 XL1200C w/sdt baffle & loved them. Definitely look into getting a tuner soon - especially if you plan to add breather later down the road...

Also, FYI for future exhaust work, socket swivels are your friend...trust me.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
zeke73
Intermediate

I have the short shots with the standard baffles in. I installed the pipes without the baffles first. HOLY COW were they loud. When i came back from the first test ride i installed the quiet baffles. I didn't quite like the sound with the quiet baffles so after a few weeks i installed the standard baffles and its been that way for the past year.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say quiet with the quiet baffles, it is quieter than say slip ons? Of all pipes, I would not expect for the SS to be "quiet" with quiet baffles. Any performance difference there zeke?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
zeke73
Intermediate

i didn't notice any performance difference between the quiet and standard baffles.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

V&H are louder pipes. I love my side shots and they have the baffles that came with them and they are loud. My bike sounds mean, and i wouldnt change the pipes for anyother set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed V&H short shots with quiet baffles