Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake for nightster

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Melonbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake for nightster

Hey all, I'm looking at options to replace the ugly oval intake on my nightster. I see three options on the webpage.

screaming eagle stage one air cleaner kit. This looks like it replaces the stock air filter only, and you're still left with the ugly oval.

screaming eagle heavy breather performance kit. Very nice

And a new one that just popped up. Screaming eagle sportster stage one air cleaner kit - Round. This is the one I think I like the most. I would like to leave it exposed in black. But there is no pricing on their website.

My question is, what are the differences in these kits performance wise? I understand an ECM calibration is involved, how much does this usually cost. Is there a big difference performance wise going from the stage one to the heavy breather? My only other mod performance wise is a switch to the screaming eagle slip ons. Finally, would this mess with my warranty? The bike is brand new. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't notice a performance difference past the basic stage 1 air cleaner unless you go internal with your motor mods.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Melonbob
Cruiser

So what you are saying is the heavy breather is a waste unless i'm going deeper than just changing intake and exhaust? Thanks. I'll stick with the round stage one then, I like the look better anyways.

Next question, I have the screaming eagle slip ons, if I do a remap of the ECM and later decide to switch to V&H, am I going to have to remap again?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Melonbob
So what you are saying is the heavy breather is a waste unless i'm going deeper than just changing intake and exhaust? Thanks. I'll stick with the round stage one then, I like the look better anyways.

Next question, I have the screaming eagle slip ons, if I do a remap of the ECM and later decide to switch to V&H, am I going to have to remap again?
No. first of all you are doing it the right way. You have slip ons & stock air cleaner now. You seem to understand that you will need to adjust your fuel if you add a better flowing air cleaner. Kudos to you.

You can pick up just about any aftermarket air cleaner that has a K&N or similar air filter and achieve the same thing those "stage 1" air cleaners provide. I have a thread on here somewhere showing how to make your own round air cleaner kit for around 30 bucks or so...but any decent one you buy will do the same job as the stage 1 racket.

With the new air cleaner and slip ons it is wise to adjust the fuel. You seem to be leaning toward the dealer download (not really a re-map) and that's fine. Run the bike for a while and pull your plugs to check the running condition. Rich = black & possibly wet. Lean will be white & obviously dry. Just right (or what I feel is just right) will be a tan color. Showing definitive signs of firing but not burnt. Later if you decide to swap pipes your download should be sufficient but you can put your mind at ease by checking the plugs again after you run them for a while.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM
PAsportster
Tourer

will allow engine to rev to 7000 RPM , i have this on my heavy moded bike and seems to like this setup over the heavy breather ......here is a pic of the 1 in black and a pic of my bike with (of course chrome) outter cover , you can get the same outter cover in black... this kit cost 139.99 , thats with out the outter cover , i also got the K&N filter that replaces the screamin eagle filter .....

Attached Thumbnails intake for nightster-air-filter.jpg   intake for nightster-imag0096.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Melonbob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PAsportster
will allow engine to rev to 7000 RPM , i have this on my heavy moded bike and seems to like this setup over the heavy breather ......here is a pic of the 1 in black and a pic of my bike with (of course chrome) outter cover , you can get the same outter cover in black... this kit cost 139.99 , thats with out the outter cover , i also got the K&N filter that replaces the screamin eagle filter .....
Yeah, thats the exact one I'm leaning towards, but apparently you can go with just a trim kit instead of a full cover? I'd like the filter exposed. I'm not sure what this trim kit entails, but will it cause issues in rain? (Not that I ride much in rain)

I guess I'm leaning towards getting the ecm done at the dealer because of warranty issues. I'm sure you can battle it out if anything were to happen, but considering I live in a very remote northern community, with only one dealer within a 15hr drive, I'd just rather not hassle. Will changing the intake void warranty? I read somewhere it's only covered if it was originally installed on purchase of the bike.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:43 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-30-2011, 08:07 AM
PAsportster
Tourer

Originally Posted by Melonbob
Yeah, thats the exact one I'm leaning towards, but apparently you can go with just a trim kit instead of a full cover? I'd like the filter exposed. I'm not sure what this trim kit entails, but will it cause issues in rain? (Not that I ride much in rain)

I guess I'm leaning towards getting the ecm done at the dealer because of warranty issues. I'm sure you can battle it out if anything were to happen, but considering I live in a very remote northern community, with only one dealer within a 15hr drive, I'd just rather not hassle. Will changing the intake void warranty? I read somewhere it's only covered if it was originally installed on purchase of the bike.
The kit only has the back plate , the bolts to mount it and filter , if you like it bare like the picture you can run it like that , you can get a rain sock for it , but is not included ...

as far as changing intake as a warrenty issue thats something you gotta bring up with the shop you deal with , most will warrenty the work and parts as long as it was done there...