Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible bad stator, looking for verification

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Earnie1200C
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the CE regulator from Dennis Kirk today and it should arrive on Tuesday. I plan on put it on the bike in place of the stock regulator and use it as a back up regulator.

I didn't hear anything today from CE about the bad stator. But it did only arrive at CE at 10:30 this morning. Hopefully I get the replacement stator by Tuesday so I can put it all back together in time to leave for BBB in Fayetteville on Thursday morning.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Rokrover
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So all these stator problems have got me wondering what is the failure mode? From the pictures it looks like the output wires are burning and shorting out.

Certainly the H-D regulator drawing max current most of the time could be one culprit. Another possibility is the insulation is failing under a combination of heat and primary oil chemistry? It would be good if someone could make any correlation to eliminate the source of premature failure.

With all the labor involved it might be a good time to upgrade the clutch as well since the spring plate seems to have a similar short life span according to posts here.

Cheers, RR

Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Kevin W. Woodson
Stage III
Default Stator

My what are cycle is having the same symptoms whenever I disconnect the stater from the voltage regulator the bike dies how did you check the AC I was able to jump over it and got between 14 and 30 V AC there's no voltage coming from the voltage regulator all the threads are saying that the resistance through the stator should be 0.1 omg but when I ring through the stater I'm getting in 1 Kohm
I just keep seeing that it says to disconnect the stater and check the AC voltage but with the stater disconnected the bike Does not run

Originally Posted by Earnie1200C
Looks like I have a stator that has gone bad. I rode to work yesterday morning and before I turned it off I saw the check engine and battery lights on. They must have just come on before I pulled into the parking lot because I didn’t see them prior to getting to the parking lot. At lunchtime I borrowed a volt meter from the maintenance shop to check the battery. The battery had 12.82 volts with the bike not running. I then started it and ran it up to 2000RPM and the volts didn’t go up. I then decided I would deal with checking the stator when I got home with it.

I rode it home the 17 miles from work hoping it didn’t die on me. It made it home with the check engine and battery light on the entire time. I got it in the garage and turned a fan on it to cool it down while I went into the house. When I got back to it the battery was drained down to about 11.5 volts so I removed it, cleaned the battery posts and put it on a 6 amp charger for about an hour. While it was charging I cleaned all of the cable ends and check the terminal ends to make sure they were good. After charging, the battery was back up to about 12.6 volts. I put it back in and made sure all connections were tight. I started it up to make sure it was charged enough before checking the stator. I disconnected the regulator from the stator and connected my volt meter to it, started it and the stator output was only 2 volts AC. I checked to make sure the volt meter probes were getting good contact and the volts never changed. I then turned it all off and connected the battery tender up to it to charge the battery back up. So it looks like I need to replace the stator. Is there any other tests that I need to do to make sure the stator is the problem? If it needs replaced I’ll use one of the Cycle Electronics stators as many of you have suggested to others to use. Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make sure I included everything.

By the way it’s a 2006 Sportster 1200C with just under 34,000 miles.

Thanks for your help,

Earnie

Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin W. Woodson
I just keep seeing that it says to disconnect the stater and check the AC voltage but with the stater disconnected the bike Does not run
That's because your battery is dead. With a (good) charged battery it should continue to run for at least 20+ minutes.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Kevin W. Woodson
Stage III

I had a good batt and a jumper cable attached to it still died when disconnected I'm getting a max of 30VDC and the resistance is 1.011 K ohm if I disconnect the DC side of the voltage reg the bike does not die and I get 0 VDC when connected VDC did not increase with rpm

Old 09-05-2017, 05:11 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I went to Deals Gap in Tennessee in May with a couple of guys that race Ducatis. As we were loading our bikes on the trailer, one guy told me that my Sportster was going to fall apart before we reached the other end of the Dragon. Well, we rode the Parkway, Tail of the Dragon, and the Skyway and I kept up right up with them. At the end of the ride at dinner there was much respect for my bike the rest of the week.
3 weeks today I will be in the US riding the Dragon, on a Sporty...I could almost hear the shock in the dealers email when I said I didn't want a glide but a Sportster..can't wait

Old 05-05-2022, 09:50 PM
Kerry dickerson
Stage I

Originally Posted by Earnie1200C
Looks like I have a stator that has gone bad. I rode to work yesterday morning and before I turned it off I saw the check engine and battery lights on. They must have just come on before I pulled into the parking lot because I didn’t see them prior to getting to the parking lot. At lunchtime I borrowed a volt meter from the maintenance shop to check the battery. The battery had 12.82 volts with the bike not running. I then started it and ran it up to 2000RPM and the volts didn’t go up. I then decided I would deal with checking the stator when I got home with it.

I rode it home the 17 miles from work hoping it didn’t die on me. It made it home with the check engine and battery light on the entire time. I got it in the garage and turned a fan on it to cool it down while I went into the house. When I got back to it the battery was drained down to about 11.5 volts so I removed it, cleaned the battery posts and put it on a 6 amp charger for about an hour. While it was charging I cleaned all of the cable ends and check the terminal ends to make sure they were good. After charging, the battery was back up to about 12.6 volts. I put it back in and made sure all connections were tight. I started it up to make sure it was charged enough before checking the stator. I disconnected the regulator from the stator and connected my volt meter to it, started it and the stator output was only 2 volts AC. I checked to make sure the volt meter probes were getting good contact and the volts never changed. I then turned it all off and connected the battery tender up to it to charge the battery back up. So it looks like I need to replace the stator. Is there any other tests that I need to do to make sure the stator is the problem? If it needs replaced I’ll use one of the Cycle Electronics stators as many of you have suggested to others to use. Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make sure I included everything.

By the way it’s a 2006 Sportster 1200C with just under 34,000 miles.

Thanks for your help,

Earnie
I just had same issue on 2000 roadking. At 43000 miles went for a 200 ride. Half way into it i noticed a popping when I let off and a feeling of somewhat loss of power. When I stopped. Battery was dead ( new battery) and ck engine light was on. Charged it to full 12.78 volts and flew home ( 60 miles) at 80mph. By time I got home my headlight look like a flashlight. After cking plug dc volts and stator ac amps. Had oil inside plug.. Realized stator and regulator were toast. When removed it stunk like burnt trans fluid. Some magnets on rotor had chips in them, none cracked. So I didn't replace it. Hope it holds. Im gping to go ahead and buy one have on hand. Tomorrow finish up assembly and oil and start up. I think its going to be good.