Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Oil leak ....out of vent??

Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM
mikeallenbrown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Serious Oil leak ....out of vent??

Took my bike out for a ride. Parked it so I could stretch. As soon as I shut it off I heard a gurgle noise ...never heard that before!! Got off the bike and looked down the left side and oil was coating everything....and dripping all over the place. Drove it back home (about 25 miles). Bike sounded and felt fine. Oil light never came on (bulb is good).

Started looking for where the oil was coming from and discovered this open hose which I believe is the oil tank vent. It appears oil was coming out of here as the entire back side of the battery was coated and everything was dripping downward and rear ward. No oil around the cylinders or tranny. Looked in my service manual and there are no clear pictures, that I could find, that helps me identify this hose. Hard to trace back also because of the frame. But I'm pretty sure this is the oil tank vent. When cold, the oil level is 1/3 up the way between the two notches on the dipstick. Must not of been a big leak as the oil level appears pretty much the same.

1) What could be the problem here?

2) Just for my information, does the oil light come on when the quantity is low or when there is a pressure drop?

Name:  IMAG0917.jpg
Views: 4501
Size:  124.0 KB

Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Bagger Jim
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Any oil leak will look catastrophic. Kind of like a mosquito bite in bed. Looks like you lost a quart of blood, but not really. As far as the light, I'm pretty sure it kicks on when the pressure gets too low. Can't really help you on where it's coming from tho...

Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeallenbrown
When cold, the oil level is 1/3 up the way between the two notches on the dipstick. Must not of been a big leak as the oil level appears pretty much the same.

1) What could be the problem here?

2) Just for my information, does the oil light come on when the quantity is low or when there is a pressure drop?
The oil should be measured when hot and the bike upright. It should come to about 1/4 to 1/2 way up between the marks. If it is reading 1/3 up when cold, you probably have a ton of oil in that tank and it is spewing out everywhere when hot.

I bought my bike from a guy who filled it when cold, and it spewed everywhere on the test ride. Drained over a quart out, and then took it home all fine. I'm still cleaning oil from that day.

Also, the oil light is a pressure switch. When there is not enough pressure (less than 8 psi or so) it goes on.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 PM
mikeallenbrown
Cruiser

Thanks for the info .... I bought the bike from the dealer. They said they performed an oil change. I didn't realize the oil needed to be hot to accurately see how full the tank is. Also, I've been measuring the tank while it was on it's kick stand ....so if I were to level the bike the oil will come up even more. Next time I ride I'll check it...sounds like I have too much oil (oil comes out of the air cleaner too....)

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, sounds like the dealer put too much oil in it.

I'd siphon a bit off until you are reading 1/3-1/2 up the stick when fully hot.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 PM
misput
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It is my understanding the oil should be checked immediately after shutdown because it begins to run down into engine case. As long as it is showing on the stick it is ok. I never fill mine above the mark on the stick. Cramming a piece of air cleaner quality foam rubber into bottom edge of air cleaner keeps bike running cleaner also.Serious Oil leak ....out of vent??-harley-two.jpg

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 AM
mikeallenbrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by misput
It is my understanding the oil should be checked immediately after shutdown because it begins to run down into engine case. As long as it is showing on the stick it is ok. I never fill mine above the mark on the stick. Cramming a piece of air cleaner quality foam rubber into bottom edge of air cleaner keeps bike running cleaner also.Attachment 203922

Thanks! ....I'll be buying a breather kit here soon enough so the oil leaking out the air cleaner won't be a problem for long. I'll be riding today so I'll check the oil level afterwards

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by misput
Cramming a piece of air cleaner quality foam rubber into bottom edge of air cleaner keeps bike running cleaner also.
great idea even more restriction on air flow...

Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My oil check procedure is to shut the bike down, let it sit for 30 seconds, and then check the oil hot, bike ON the jiffy stand.

Some will tell you it needs to be upright, others on the stand, it doesn't matter that much as long as whatever procedure you use is the one you *always* use. Be consistent and you will find the sweet spot on the dipstick that works for your bike.

FYI: The owners manual is the final authority for on the stand vs off. Mine says on the stand, so that is what I go with.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 AM
mikeallenbrown
Cruiser

Duh ....I should have read the manual in the first place...didn't think to for just an oil level check, lol

My manual says get the bike up to normal operating temp then let the oil settle (doesn't say for how long, but a minute or two should do). Check oil level with bike level on a stand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious Oil leak ....out of vent??