Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To drill out baffles, or not to drill out baffles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
sickboy949
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drilled 1"out washer located 12 " inside pipe with 1" hole saw and 12" extension. On my 2009 nightster can't afford new pipes and I LOVE it 100 times better !!! Don't know y the he'll I waited

Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM
sickboy949
Tourer

Also I was told by the myth the man mreed that if u leave stock air u don't have back presur prob and he was right!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doobs48
I guess I don't understand how clown shoes would make my bike louder.
the wont. but everyone will know you're a man who does his own thing despite what common sense might dictate.

my stock exhaust is leaking at the crush gasket. sounds like garbage and plenty loud. the bottom line is: you wont be happy with holes in your baffles so just save your ducks and get an exhaust that you like.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

I have drilled the baffles, removed the baffles, had straight pipe welded in hollowed out mufflers. It was all a waste of money and time. Forced me into buying pipes... It's a Science .

Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
I have drilled the baffles, removed the baffles, had straight pipe welded in hollowed out mufflers. It was all a waste of money and time. Forced me into buying pipes... It's a Science .
This is the experience that many, if not most people have too.

Exhaust design involves crazy math and science. You can gut a stock muffler and make it louder, but louder does not equal better.

Human beings have frequency characteristics that we find pleasing and ones we find very unpleasant. You can look into the phenomenon of "odd harmonic distortion" in guitar amps as a good example of how sometimes our ears just hate certain sound characteristics.

A muffler that is purpose built to sound awesome will always get you that "feeling" that you just can't get from making physical alterations to a stock muffler.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a stock gutted muffler and a expensive performance muffler is mechanically no different. the sound might be different because of the noise bouncing around different inside,but free breathing is free breathing.i think sportster mufflers sound great with the plugs knocked out of the center,it makes them glass packs,and is the way the pipes are designed..the plugs are just a bad after thought to meet epa regs. some people say it will sound bad and tinny. but that is only true on touring bikes,they have actual chambered mufflers. the rest of harleys have true glass pack mufflers. i have used opened up sportster mufflers on a lot of different projects. if you cut the whole baffle out it will be loud and some people love it. i think it just sounds obnoxious loud myself.what ever you do,you should find a cheap take off set to mod and keep the stock ones.the noise ****,s are going to be on the way real soon, and stock muffs are going to be sky high$
you might loose a few peak hp but will never know it unless your ridding on a dyno..most bikes feel like they have more power by the seat of the pants with open pipes, just because you feel the rumble. its not a race bike, you can only ride it to 70mph anyway

Last edited by j1mmy; 09-13-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM
WVNightster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have said go with a cheap set of slip-ons if money is a factor right now.If you want loud I would sugest V&H short shots.I ran the short shots on my old Nightster with no baffles and they were loud!!!!!But due to the shortness of the pipes it gave it a higher pitch sound more so than a deep rumble.If you go with slip-ons you will be allright with the stock tune but if you go with a full set of pipes you want to get a free flowing A/C and some type of tuner to open the bike up.Good luck

Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 AM
emilio gonzalez
Intermediate

Originally Posted by certainteed
the wont. But everyone will know you're a man who does his own thing despite what common sense might dictate.

My stock exhaust is leaking at the crush gasket. Sounds like garbage and plenty loud. The bottom line is: You wont be happy with holes in your baffles so just save your ducks and get an exhaust that you like.

sorry bud but i believe you are wrong, or maybe u like your harley to sound like a scooter ??

Old 09-13-2011, 09:05 AM
emilio gonzalez
Intermediate

I drilled mine out on my 48 and i was really happy until i got aftermarket ..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
a stock gutted muffler and a expensive performance muffler is mechanically no different. the sound might be different because of the noise bouncing around different inside,but free breathing is free breathing.i think sportster mufflers sound great with the plugs knocked out of the center,it makes them glass packs,and is the way the pipes are designed..the plugs are just a bad after thought to meet epa regs. some people say it will sound bad and tinny. but that is only true on touring bikes,they have actual chambered mufflers. the rest of harleys have true glass pack mufflers. i have used opened up sportster mufflers on a lot of different projects. if you cut the whole baffle out it will be loud and some people love it. i think it just sounds obnoxious loud myself.what ever you do,you should find a cheap take off set to mod and keep the stock ones.the noise ****,s are going to be on the way real soon, and stock muffs are going to be sky high$
you might loose a few peak hp but will never know it unless your ridding on a dyno..most bikes feel like they have more power by the seat of the pants with open pipes, just because you feel the rumble. its not a race bike, you can only ride it to 70mph anyway
From a performance point you are right, but I'm not sure why so many people drill their baffles and end up saying that the pipes sounded louder, but not better?

I think I'm headed for a set of SE slip ons.

Quick Reply: To drill out baffles, or not to drill out baffles