Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Quick questions in regards to Air filter maintenance (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/687549-quick-questions-in-regards-to-air-filter-maintenance.html)

jckazz333 09-12-2011 10:27 PM

Quick questions in regards to Air filter maintenance

Whats up everyone,

I have a very quick question about air filter maintenance. I put a K&N Air charger on my Iron and it did not come with any maintenance instructions. Can anyone suggest how often I should clean the filter and whether or not I have to add oil to the exterior of the filter periodically. My filter has completely dried out (It was originally redish and now its completely white).

Thanks,

parabellum_9x19 09-12-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by jckazz333 (Post 8811109)
Whats up everyone,

I have a very quick question about air filter maintenance. I put a K&N Air charger on my Iron and it did not come with any maintenance instructions. Can anyone suggest how often I should clean the filter and whether or not I have to add oil to the exterior of the filter periodically. My filter has completely dried out (It was originally redish and now its completely white).

Thanks,

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

jckazz333 09-13-2011 12:10 AM

I only have to clean and re-oil every 50,000 miles?! A buddy of mine recommended to re-oil every time the filter dries out and turns white.

WVHogRider 09-13-2011 07:00 AM

If it's an exposed filter, you'll need to clean & re-oil way more often because it catches more road debris/dirt/bugs. I clean and re-oil mine atleast every motor oil change, (~3-5K miles).....Hell, with mine being exposed, I have to re-oil after every rain storm I get caught in.

Gpsjr10 09-13-2011 08:57 AM

I ride to work alot and it is a very dusty enviroment, I clean and oil mine at least once a month. The kit is about $10 and it is good for at least 20 cleanings.

sbergloff 09-13-2011 09:45 AM

If it's white, the oil is gone. You shouldn't run these type of filters without oil, so clean and re-oil when your filter no longer appears red. If it's exposed like mine, you'll need to do it about as often as you change your oil. Grab some K&N filter cleaner and a can of K&N oil, and follow the instructions on the bottles.

cotnballs 09-13-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by sbergloff (Post 8812531)
If it's white, the oil is gone. You shouldn't run these type of filters without oil, so clean and re-oil when your filter no longer appears red. If it's exposed like mine, you'll need to do it about as often as you change your oil. Grab some K&N filter cleaner and a can of K&N oil, and follow the instructions on the bottles.

You are incorrect, after you apply the oil the filter will turn back to a gray color in a short time riding. It does not mean the oil is gone, its suppose to do that. If its visibly dirty you can clean it but 10k plus between cleanings depending on riding conditions (and size of fliter) is perfectly ok.

sbergloff 09-13-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cotnballs (Post 8812587)
You are incorrect, after you apply the oil the filter will turn back to a gray color in a short time riding. It does not mean the oil is gone, its suppose to do that. If its visibly dirty you can clean it but 10k plus between cleanings depending on riding conditions (and size of fliter) is perfectly ok.

Are you sure about that? I've got a K&N filter on my truck, and it still appeared red after 50,000 miles. It was just dirty as Hell. It's the same oil on both filters. I think the exposed element is causing the oil to wash off in rain/wind/debris.

I actually have a can of filter oil with me, and it does clearly state "Red uniform color of oil indicates a properly oiled filter." I interpret that as it needs to be re-oiled when it turns white.

WVHogRider 09-13-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by cotnballs (Post 8812587)

Sorry, but you are wrong/incorrect.....It should stay a redish color. If it's grey, all your oil is gone from the filter.

Rog48 09-13-2011 10:51 AM

The only reason the oil has color is so you can see if you have everything coated correctly. K&N themselves say under normal conditions 50K miles. They even say you only need to clean and re-oil if you cant see ANY of the steel mesh on the filter. Oil doesnt evaporate, the only way it will leave the filter is if its washed away, I dont think rain would be enough. Try washing the filter (or anything oiled for that mater) with nothing but a gentle stream of water..........bet the oil wont come off.