Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 Performance Question

Old 09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
KDN33
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what a friend of mine who works at a Harley shop recommended...

From personal experience, the Power Commander will most always yield the best results...especially when doing a Stage I filter with pipes. Yes, the Dyno tune only needs to be done once, and it should yield some additional performance, although I am not exactly sure how much. When you have your bike on the Dyno it will show exact results, meaning how much horsepower and torque your bike will be getting. I would most definitely recommend the Power Commander/Fuel Pack over the download. The download is not always accurate.

A buddy of mine runs the Fuel Pack and works great. I had a Power Commander and it was fantastic.

The Power Commander needs Dyno time and will fit the best. The Fuel Pack you can dial in the designated numbers and no Dyno time required. So I guess it would depend on exactly what you were seeking. I say spend the money on the Power Commander and have it Dyno'd, but that’s just me.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have emissions testing where I live so a power commander or similar is tempting.

However, since I plan to move to the Seattle area, where I believe they do have emissions, I think I'm going to keep the bike street legal and let HD tune me with a SERT to preserve the emissions warranty.

Of course, that won't happen until I get a 1200 conversion, so its a long ways off.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am converting my 2012 Iron this winter with the SE 1200 kit, OEM 1200 EFI download ( my dealer says that is the only download available unless I get the SERT and Dyno which up here in Canada will cost me $1000)and black SE shorty slip ons with buckshot heat shields.

After reading ALOT of the relevant threads in this forum I have decided to initially go with the X14ied to enrichen my fuel mix so it is not running too lean. I have read too many good things about the X14ied to ignore the option, and it is only $100. If after riding that for a while I decide it doesnt run well enough (which I doubt) or I want a bit more power, I will save up and consider an after market tuner.

Last edited by Mich; 09-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I want to do the SE 1200 conversion over the winter on my 2012 Iron. Is this going to be a big difference in power? I know our Irons are geared differently, but would test riding a Nightster be a good indication of what to expect?

Old 09-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Mich
Road Master

the power increase after the conversion will be significant and riding the nightster will will give you an idea what I am talking about, even with taller gearing.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Outtakes
I want to do the SE 1200 conversion over the winter on my 2012 Iron. Is this going to be a big difference in power? I know our Irons are geared differently, but would test riding a Nightster be a good indication of what to expect?
I started from the stock 883 that measures out to be 47HP/50 Torque.
I then had a stage 1 performed with dyno tuning that bumped me up to 57HP/55 Torque.

Followed up with the SE 1200 conversion and another dyno tune that gained me 77HP/70 Torque. However, I went with the SE Pro Tuner and it really hasn't been dialed in right. Saturday I will get another dyno tune by Doc's Performance Tuning (http://www.docsperformancetuning.com/About_Us.html) with the TTS Mastertune. Doc swears by it and has pointed out the many issues with the Pro Tuner. (not going to get into arguments, but I found his reasoning sound) I follow up with my findings as I'll have experience with both tuning devices soon.

Though, don't let numbers be the only deciding factor. Tuners will always post different numbers, but the truth is in the ride. I felt a tremendous jump in power and torque that still leaves me smiling. I honestly feel that the Iron should be a 1200 out the gate as it feels natural for the bike. My only wish is that there was an easier way to get the longer gearing of the Nightster in an Iron, but not so much as me willing to give up my Iron.

In short, it is definitely worth the upgrade cost to get double the performance; though, be ready for a sharp decline in you MPG! As a
side note, I'd look at ordering the kit from Zanotti (http://shop.zanottimotor.com/) due to being able to score the entire SE kit for $975 shipped vice the $1,200+tax from the dealer direct.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Mich
Road Master

Wahlumsurfer, have you considered increasing your front drive pulley a few teeth to make your gearing a bit taller?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
I am converting my 2012 Iron this winter with the SE 1200 kit, OEM 1200 EFI download ( my dealer says that is the only download available unless I get the SERT and Dyno which up here in Canada will cost me $1000)and black SE shorty slip ons with buckshot heat shields.

After reading ALOT of the relevant threads in this forum I have decided to initially go with the X14ied to enrichen my fuel mix so it is not running too lean. I have read too many good things about the X14ied to ignore the option, and it is only $100. If after riding that for a while I decide it doesnt run well enough (which I doubt) or I want a bit more power, I will save up and consider an after market tuner.
I don't recommend that.

I asked Nightrider directly, which Xied I should use for my 2012 Iron and here is his response:

The XiED is proving to be the better choice on the 2010 > later XL's. On the earlier sportsters, I had to limit the closed loop AFR with the X14iED because the AFV (adaptive fuel value) was getting pushed too high and open loop AFR's at high RPM were actually going too rich. So far we are not seeing that on these late model bikes.
Based on that, I suggest you contact him and ask about what is best for you after the 1200 conversion.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:14 PM
GodIsStevePerry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
I don't recommend that.

I asked Nightrider directly, which Xied I should use for my 2012 Iron and here is his response:

Based on that, I suggest you contact him and ask about what is best for you after the 1200 conversion.

I also have a 2012 Iron and spoke with Nightrider yesterday. They also told me the XiED is the better choice for the 2012 Irons as opposed to the X14iED.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:54 AM
ironcrab
Advanced

The power difference is a big improvement. I haven't tried a 1200 to be able to compare, but I don't experience any issues with the gearing. Cruises along just fine on the highway and is quick of the mark.

As far as MPG, I haven't calculated what the mpg's I am getting, but before conversion the low fuel light would come on at ~100miles. After the conversion, its the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Iron 883 Performance Question