Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you pick your handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How did you pick your handlebars?

I'd like to swap out my bars, but am not sure the best way to know what to get. I've ridden a 1200 Sporty with drag bars, and liked it, but I don't think I'd like it on a longer ride. I was very happy with the positioning of the stock Fat Boy bars. I'm 5'9" and definitely prefer function over form.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comfort led me to keeping my stock buckhorns. If it feels good, who cares what it looks like?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

I don't like the stock ones on the Sporty, but I liked the stock ones on the Fatboy I used to have.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
nciron883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be honest i bought my 10" z's because they looked sweet and then when i put them on i couldn't believe how comfy they were, too bad some **** ran a stop sign and i had to lay the bike down. but i rebuilt it with some local 10" z's but they are not straight up like the licks were, they flair out a bit but still very comfy.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
Old 02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
I'd like to swap out my bars, but am not sure the best way to know what to get. I've ridden a 1200 Sporty with drag bars, and liked it, but I don't think I'd like it on a longer ride. I was very happy with the positioning of the stock Fat Boy bars. I'm 5'9" and definitely prefer function over form.
Finding the perfect handlebar position for You-

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-

Sit on your bike
Have someone hold it up straight for you
Put your feet on the pegs
Close your eyes
Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them

Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Good video. I'm leaning towards some mini apes or similar, maybe Z bars, at this point, but I've not ridden with any of them.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
I went to the local dealer and sat on their "make it to fit" bike. However, they had a Fatboy set up. Then I did sort of what DK Custom suggested, i.e. closing my eyes, holding my arms out, etc. while changing out both a few seats and handlebars. Then I had my seat modifed slightly instead of purchasing another seat all together. Next step, I replaced the handlbars though I ended up with a slightly different versioin than what could be just popped in and out of the "fit" bike. One of the salespersons did hold the handlebars out on the "fit" bike though so I could get an idea of what they were like compared to the Harley options already set up for the "fit" bike. If a local dealership near you has one of the "make it to fit" bikes set up near you (or whatever it is called), it would be worth a trip to try out the different bars and seats.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Finding the perfect handlebar position for You-

This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-

Sit on your bike
Have someone hold it up straight for you
Put your feet on the pegs
Close your eyes
Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them

Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.
I did the same thing, but I had a spare set of grips to hold on to when putting out my hands. I also put a piece of scrap 2x4 under my kickstand, which put me really close to being level. Once if figured out where I wanted my hands I used a yardstick to measure the width, and a ruler to compare the difference in height compared to stock. I wound up with 32" drags, 4" pullback.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM
pbr rebel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an ape hanger law here and everyone wuz mounting Burly 14nz so I found sum 13nz Factor Spec bars that fit me perfect.

Quick Reply: How did you pick your handlebars?