Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my custom pipes on EFI 883(pic)... issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 PM
FOURSIXTEEN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my custom pipes on EFI 883(pic)... issues?

okay so here is the deal. my buddy made me some custom pipes with a biltwell kit for my 2012 iron 883 and they turned out awesome, but i am idling a little rough right now but going the bike runs fine. just curious what the side effects are from running this open pipe type setup are? these are pretty much identical to a set of sik pipes. i know you guys are gonna say torque cones. which i have but i couldn't tell a difference with or without them, also the pipes do not fit correctly with the torque cones installed because of the thick lip on them so i am not running them. can the computer compensate for these pipes? they are the only performance mod i have everything else is stock.

any feedback would be great just want to get some knowledge about this set up with EFI.

here are some pics. they are still not fully finished so the fitment is not 100 percent perfect. the main issue right now is the O2 sensor bung not being in the right place and the sensor is buried into what looks to be the ignition something or rather i am not sure if this is bad to run with it being like that so any input on that would be nice too. it will be fixed this weekend so will just be like that for a few days

i know its best to get a programmer or tuner or whatever you wanna call it, but will it hurt to run it without one for a little while? i mean it runs pretty damn good... and what about these vied's or xied's?

i have "lollipops" or whatever the street lingo is for them. i havent put them in yet but i can if that would help. i REALLY dont want to have to put that joke of a stock exhaust back on... **** was WAY over engineered... have to take half the bike apart to get it off....

Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
spader2
Intermediate

so you have no piggyback of any kind? power commander, or even a harley reflash?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:39 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

I've never owned a fuel injected bike friend, Im sorry Im no help on this one...But I have to say what a BEAUTIFUL set of pipes, Might wan't to talk to your friend to see how he'd feel about making another set, I can think of a few guys on here that'd think twice about drag pipes for a set of those Best Wishes. -Joe

Old 10-03-2011, 10:48 PM
FOURSIXTEEN
Intermediate

no i have nothing at all fully stock bike. besides these. thus the reason im asking questions about it. idk how bad this is to be running.

if anyone wants a set of pips just private message me. sportsters only though because thats all we have to mock stuff up on.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 PM
spader2
Intermediate

you are going to be running lean as hell, so yes, very bad for the motor.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 PM
FOURSIXTEEN
Intermediate

okay so will something simple like vied fix this? or do i really need to get a PCV?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what I would do:

1) Make some "lollipop" or "thumbscrew" baffles. They will help get you some backpressure (your rough idle is due to a lack of backpressure and being lean).

2) Install a set of XIEDs. You can try the VIED, but my advice it to just drop on the normal XIED and see how that goes. If that doesn't do it, I'm sure you will be able to sell it off here for just a few dollars loss and go get a VIED.

Those pipes are mean as f&^k. I bet they are seriously ear splitting too.

The baffle should look like this:

Old 10-04-2011, 03:10 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Those are some bad *** looking pipes!

Yeah, you need to get some back pressure and do something to richen it up. Depending on if you are going to do a high flow air filter and how much back pressure...the ied's may or may not be enough.

Kevin
Drawing - FREE Custom Foot Pegs

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good job on the pipes. they look really good man. slap the lollipops in and go get a new download for the ecm @ the dealer. however, for the price of the download you could prolly get a used or even new pcIII/pcV. you'll need one anyway down the road when you get rid of the ham can and put a better intake on it. good luck.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They look great! The O2 looks to be resting on the starter and IMO I would not like that as all that is keeping the POS cable form touching the O2 is the rubber boot on the POS cable end-or that's how it looks in the pic. I am a fan of open pipes so I would not do a lollie Pop as it will take some sound away, but it's up to you. Pipes like that are hard to tune, I have open pipes, but mine are alot longer. I have a PC III and they did tune it for the open pipes and SE open stage I AC set up I have and the bike runs great. For right now are you going to hurt the engine running the pipes and no tune? I doubt it, but I would get some sort of tuner and a good AC to complete the package.

Quick Reply: my custom pipes on EFI 883(pic)... issues?