Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding the Sportster

Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Riding the Sportster

How often do you scrape the footpegs or exhaust on your Sportster?

The only time I have scraped the pipes on my Iron was when I hit a bump while turning a corner. The footpegs feelers on the other hand, drag quite a bit more often.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Frank B
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would scrape the pegs and the pipes on every ride on my Iron, until I put progressive springs in the forks, and 12" air shocks on the back. I took the fellers off of the pegs too. Now I don't scrape at all. It's a different bike now.
I've since changed the pipes to Bub Rinehart staggered pipes and gained some clearence there too.

Last edited by Frank B; 10-30-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I can't speel werds
Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only scrape the pegs or exhaust when I'm not properly riding. If you are going too fast for a corner and it feels like you are going to scrape a peg or exhaust, you won't if you move your *** off the seat and hang your weight off the inside of the bike. This puts the bike into a corner without needing as much lean angle on the bike.

That being said, I only scrape or drag anything when I am not riding properly.. ie. going too fast and not cornering with my weight and relying only on lean angle.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:24 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on where I'm riding. On the interstate...never drag anything. In the East TN Mountains, riding in the twisties and hills, (lookup Tail of the Dragon) I've left most of the bottom side of my pipes on those roads.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:30 AM
fiveliter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to scrape the pegs all the time when I first bought the Iron last year. No so much any more, but still do every once in a while. The bike does sit very low to the ground.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:54 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing I did when I got the bike home is pull off the peg feelers. Hated smacking my ankle on them trying to get the kickstand down. No scraping here, then again, I don't ride fast and aggressive.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
bassnsporty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have not yet, and hope I don't. I am not nearly as aggressive (read that stupid) as I was when younger.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never scrapped any part of my bike for the past 14 months. Maybe I'm not using my Sporty properly? :-)

Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

With the stock pipes I have dragged the rear slip-on a few times...not on purpose...they can pivot the rear wheel off the ground. Have also worn the slip on clamp bolts way down...again, not on purpose.

Don't mind dragging the peg feelers at all...it is sorta fun...they will fold up so the chance of pivoting the rear wheel off the ground is minimal. My sporty is my fun bike-and it's fun to make sparks!!!

I can't count how many peg feelers I have worn down to a nub before having the DK Custom pegs. Some of the DK pegs will scrap, some of them (like the Canyon Carver) have such good clearance that I have never dragged them.

I finally promised the wife a couple of years ago that I would not drag any hard parts on purpose when she is on the bike...she just never liked it like I do. lol

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

RK shocks made a huge difference, like scraping all the time before and some seldom scrapes after.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding the Sportster