Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too big for the Iron???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM
fahba
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too big for the Iron???

hey fellow sporty enthusiasts, I'm having a bit of a problem. I recently got an iron 883 and man it's beautiful. its my first bike and I love the way it looks. The problem im having tho is that on long rides it's not comfortable. I'm a lanky 6'3 and the last thing i want to do is part ways with the bike. I def need forward controls and a new seat but is that enough. Should i just get a bigger bike and if so what? Nothing has the same visual appeal as the Iron. What should i do????

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forward controls will make a huge difference.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ +1. a seat that sits you back a lil further will help too. maybe get a pillion and ride from the rear fender, lol. just kidding. check the forums for the badlander seat or some of the mustangs (might want to start a new thread but search first). this is always a big topic of discussion on the boards. good luck bro and welcome from killadelphia!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm 6'1"+ and I'm very comfortable with my forward controls. I have the stock seat, but as BMXATV mentioned, there are other seats that may extend your reach even further. If that isn't enough, changing your bars could provide even more reach by adding some apes or drag bars. Don't get rid of your bike....make it fit you and good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^agreed, bars could also help, just do your research before you buy. one of my pet peeves about buying parts is theres no way to tell whether you'll like something or how it will feel without buying it! sux! needless to say, you'll be posting on the classifieds to sell stuff a lot of you can't leave your bike alone like me, lol. good luck bro!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
fahba
Stage IV

awesome thanks a lot guys! sounds like i have a nice winter project ahead of me. I'll keep you posted

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm 6'2'' barefoot and ride an 883. A good comfortable seat, forward controls, and possibly handlebar upgrade (coming for me this winter) and you will be extremely comfortable.

I will never understand people who "grow out" of Sportsters...

Old 11-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
I'm 6'2'' barefoot and ride an 883. A good comfortable seat, forward controls, and possibly handlebar upgrade (coming for me this winter) and you will be extremely comfortable.

+1 I don't understand that either how anyone could "outgrow" a Sporty. I love mine for what it is. Sportys are awesome in every form and the best part about them is there are unlimited possibilites for customization.

Try different setups until you find what works for you. I have found and bought many barely used like new parts and accessories on Craigslist for 1/4 price of new & if you try something and don't like it, you can always sell the parts on there or on this site.

Try the forward controls first the go from there. I've rode Sprotys with mids and I'm just all cramped up, but the forwards completely change the bike without stretching you out too far.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl

Well I dont think people "grow out" of sportsters because of how tall they are ... has more to do with the mid section ! lol Ive let some of my 6ft plus friends who are big guys sit on my bike and well the frame is almost on the ground with stock shocks haha

Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I've seen "extended reach" forward controls... If they're available for the Sporty, it'll give you an extra 2-3" of legroom. If that doesn't work, you need to put footpegs on your front axles

Mini apes and a mustang saddle should give you longer comfortable rides... either way, good luck and see you on the open road...

Quick Reply: too big for the Iron???