Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Power (Not battery related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Buckley29
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power (Not battery related)

Hey all,

I just finished stripping my bike down and doing a complete engine rebuild. I have everything put back together for the most part (without any left over bolts or pieces ) except I have one little problem. When I turn the key in the ignition, I have no power whatsoever. No lights, no dash, no horn.

So far I checked the voltage on the battery (12V) and checked and rechecked my battery connections. I didn't touch any of the front end wiring, but did have to disconnect the engine side connectoins such as the speedo sensor and cam position sensor to remove the engine so im guessing the problem is back there somewhere.

From my understanding the power goes through battery to the starter, then to the main circuit breaker, and from there up to the ignition where it is dispursed out to the lights/horn/ignition module/ect. I double checked the connections at the starter and they seem to be tight and corrosion free. Any other ideas what I can do next? I'm a bit stumped, electrical systems aren't exactly my nitch haha.

Thanks guy.

Last edited by Buckley29; 12-29-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you traced power up to the fuse box with a (light) tester? You need to find out whats hot and whats not. Start back at the battery again and work your way up..... The speed sensor or the cam position sensor would not keep the motor from turning over......

You also need to post the specs of your bike IE: Year and model.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Buckley29
Intermediate

Haha I was hesitant to post my model/year since I drive a 2000 Buell Cyclone. I know a lot of Harley enthusiests arn't big fans.

How would you go about tracing the power? What junctions would you test at?

If I bridged the terminals of the circuit breaker with a wire could I use that to bypass it to rule that out as the problem?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckley29
Haha I was hesitant to post my model/year since I drive a 2000 Buell Cyclone. I know a lot of Harley enthusiests arn't big fans.

How would you go about tracing the power? What junctions would you test at?

If I bridged the terminals of the circuit breaker with a wire could I use that to bypass it to rule that out as the problem?
If the circuit breaker is tripped, it is tripped for a reason ... dont jump it out. I assume that you have a manual with electrical schematics. Get a good electrical meter and start tracing out components on the ignition system of your bike.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Buckley29
Intermediate

Originally Posted by run1fsr
If the circuit breaker is tripped, it is tripped for a reason ... dont jump it out. I assume that you have a manual with electrical schematics. Get a good electrical meter and start tracing out components on the ignition system of your bike.
Alright I'll take your advice on that one and won't bypass the breaker. I'll buy a light tester after work today and go to work.

I have another question tho if you guy dont mind. Could a voltage regulator problem cause all power to be cut?

I do have a manual, but the schematics in the one I downloaded are awful haha.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckley29
Alright I'll take your advice on that one and won't bypass the breaker. I'll buy a light tester after work today and go to work.

I have another question tho if you guy dont mind. Could a voltage regulator problem cause all power to be cut?

I do have a manual, but the schematics in the one I downloaded are awful haha.
Buy a decent electrical multi meter ... not a light tester.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Buckley29
Intermediate

I do have a multimeter but wouldn't it be easier to check for current in the wires by piercing them with a light tester? Not quite sure how I would go about testing the wires with a multimeter without actually stripping the insulation (it has a much broader tip).

Sorry I don't have much experience with electrical systems.

And thanks for the quick replies.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

dont cut wires just check the end of the connectors for power (12V)

as said DONT jump no relays

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

check all fuses?
i mean not look at them test with a meter

Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Buckley29
Intermediate

Alright thanks guys, i'll give that a shot this afternoon and i'll get back to you.

Im anxious to get this thing started to see if the engine rebuilt and new cam position sensor fixed my missing problem or not :P

Quick Reply: No Power (Not battery related)