Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Vs. Dyna. Beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

My sporty is great for around town and curvy back roads. Of the air cooled Harleys its the one that likes to spin and be run hard. I've done freeway slogs with it, and it takes some getting used to. Depending on the model, some wind protection may be advisable. My uncle has a 91 Low Rider that I can ride at my leisure. First time on it I could feel the "lower" weight, but it wasn't uncontrollable. I barely felt any shakes with the rubber mounted engine, and I found myself hitting the rev limiter a time or two. Definite advantage in top gear cruising torque and comfort. Enough suspension and seat to make it enjoyable, yet I could still feel the road.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I love my Sportster and ripping around on it. I can also see where someone would like the Dyna having rode them. Go to Total Motorcycle .com and you can look up the specs on about any later model Harley. Includes lean angles and such. Might help with your search. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had $25k credit at my local dealership, I'd leave with a Nightster and a 48. That said, I'm only 6'2" 210 lb. If I were any bigger, I think I'd have to force myself upon a Street Bob and sink a LOT of time and money changing the things I don't like about it such as the tank and rear fender / strut area. Then I'd have to do cams and maybe headwork if the cams "required" it to get that punch back.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you've been already riding for a while with more agile bikes than Harleys, I'd bet you'll find the Sportser a most suited bike for you. this doesn't mean that the Dynas are difficult or intimidating at all, they are just different. Ask the Softails or the Touring guys and they say they love the agility of the Dynas and many have bought a Dyna in addition or traded down from a Touring to a Dyna as they missed the sportiness of the Dynas. I ride a Dyna myself. For you there's only one way to find out: test both. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnanimous_j
Wow. Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. I'm actually surprised that most of you recommended the Dyna. But I will obviously try both before I buy.

How does the Dyna do handling wise? Everyone talks about how comfortable it is for longer trips, but can you lean the thing? I'm nervous about going from a 450lb to a 700lb bike.

Most of my riding friends have the SV650's and Ducatis. They don't ride too far over the speed limit (they aren't squids), and they aren't knee draggers, but they are quick, nimble little bikes with really fast 40-60 roll on speeds. Would I get left in the dust if I rode with them on a Dyna?
I understand your concerns on the weight issue. I went from a '72 Triumph Bonneville to a '06 Low Rider. Weight issue went away early on - not a problem after a couple days. Took longer to become accustomed to the left side shifting.

Both the Dynas and Sportsters are quick and nimble. You won't have a problem keeping up with your friends.

I'd vote for Dyna, but be sure to test ride both.

Sammi

Old 01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as the owner of both i believe i can chime in on this one
when i bought my dyna (an 03 wideglide) i was actually looking to buy a sportster, but i got swept up in the whole "too small for you" thing. i guess i never completely got that urge out of my system, because i recently purchased a 2012 sportster superlow. the dyna has been a good ride, but far from what i would consider bulletproof, but that has a lot to do with my chronic case of can't-leave-sh*t-alone. the sportsters on the whole seem to have far fewer problems over the long run (other than rocker box leaks and the odd electrical gremlin). the dyna has had problems with the primary leaking (does this every 2500 miles no matter what i have done) and starter issues (the late model clutch basket with the fine teeth in my opinion is junk- swap to the earlier style). the handling is all sportster hands down- my dyna had a wobble issue when i bought it and i spent a lot of time and $$$ fixing that. the sportster has been rock solid on the highway and around town (albeit with limited cornering clearance- easily remedied with a longer set of shocks). in the power department i cannot comment on a bone stock dyna, but mine spanks my 883. the sportster will comfortably cruise at 90mph, but it is turning a lil over 4k to do so, and accelerating beyond that is not as swift as i would like (but nothing is lol). bottom line is ride them both and see what works for you and the type of riding you do.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
John Hyatt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going with a Sporty get a 1200 Custom no reason to mess with an 883.

The Best deal all around for a Glide is the FXD that being if your torn between the two. You can go anyplace with an FXD real easy to fit it with what you want. They are the basis for all chopper builds when they first started after the early Sportsters, big frount end,lots of room for ell/trans/ back drive / real fast motor/ great look and not bad at all handling.

IMO the FXD line was one of the best things Harley ever did for itself and for the Rider

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

Change is Change and Money is Money but what sticks to the Bee is what makes the Honey.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

You got to ride both and decide for yourself which you like best. I regularly ride a Sporty, a Dyna Wide Glide and a Bagger.

I like the Sporty best.

Devin, my biz partner and the D in DK, rides the same 3 bikes regularly and he likes the Dyna best. We are the same height at 6'.

Just a matter of personal preference.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

If I had only one bike , it wouldnt be a sportster.
that being said , I love my sportie, had it since new ..
But if its gonna be a ride over a hundred miles , its the Fatboy for me every time ..

Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think for your size and weight the Dyna would be a better overall bike for you. If you go Sportie, you're going to want forward controls and Road King Air Shocks. At 230 I was bottoming out my stock Sportster shocks and if I ever rode 2-up you'd have sworn we were on a hardtail. Got RK Air Shocks and that all went away.

Now I have both and have put about the same number of miles on both. I like my Sportster on twisty mountain road anyday. It will leave my Dyna in the dust both in speed and conering ability. But on the highway the Dyna is a much better cruiser. It's more comfortable and stable. Can't go wrong with either really.

Quick Reply: Sportster Vs. Dyna. Beating a dead horse