Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   A little advice needed (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/723461-a-little-advice-needed.html)

frodin1 01-13-2012 09:56 AM

A little advice needed

I recently picked up an 03 sporty for $1000. Its been sitting a while and has 4200 on the odometer. Its missing the rear fender and I could use a new tank. Questions, Both tires need to be replaced as well, however I would like to go with a fatter tire on the rear. How fat can I go without modifying the fender? Are there aftermarket rear fenders available for this type of setup, or is this a fabrication situation? Also the tank is quite hammered, and I would like to replace it with a bigger one, but have no idea what else will fit? These are all questions that only experience will tell you. So that's why I'm asking. Im more the type of person to modify and make my own, instead of just driving around on yet another HD. Any and all advice will be considered, and I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks!

WVHogRider 01-13-2012 11:05 AM

Tank & rear fenders are interchangable on sporties from 1996 through 2003. There are aftermarket tanks & fenders available too, but they'll still need to fit a '96 through '03. They changed the frame & other stuff for the '04 sporty. I can't remember exactly, but I think the largest tire you can go with is either a 130 or 140 on the rear before the tire starts rubbing. One tire size bigger is really not even noticable. One larger tank is a Fat-Bob tank, and is what I have waiting to be mounted on mine, and I believe it's 4 gallons.

bmxatv 01-13-2012 11:15 AM

wow...an 03 for 1k bucks! damn does he have anymore? nice find.

Voony 01-13-2012 11:43 AM

bmx: how many bikes do you need?

OP: great find! Sorry but I can't help you with your questions lol.

bmxatv 01-13-2012 04:33 PM

as many as space allows at that price!

run1fsr 01-13-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1 (Post 9253825)
I recently picked up an 03 sporty for $1000. Its been sitting a while and has 4200 on the odometer. Its missing the rear fender and I could use a new tank. Questions, Both tires need to be replaced as well, however I would like to go with a fatter tire on the rear. How fat can I go without modifying the fender? Are there aftermarket rear fenders available for this type of setup, or is this a fabrication situation? Also the tank is quite hammered, and I would like to replace it with a bigger one, but have no idea what else will fit? These are all questions that only experience will tell you. So that's why I'm asking. Im more the type of person to modify and make my own, instead of just driving around on yet another HD. Any and all advice will be considered, and I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks!

Damn ... you stole that thing !!

FYI - I just installed a 140 on the rear of mine. However, you will need a spacer on the pully to prevent belt rub on the tire.

streetfighter06 01-13-2012 06:00 PM

As BMX said, you STOLE that bike. Shop ebay. Finding a tank and fender should be "A walk in the park" as Anthony Hopkins says in MI:2. I got a steal on tires on motorcyclesuperstore.com

The wider rear tire I'm uneducated on and I don't like wide tires. That's just me.