Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Air Filter Upgrade (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/724182-air-filter-upgrade.html)

aklim156581 01-16-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by NRHS (Post 9266419)
If you want the best air cleaners made go here:

http://nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml

We make these in house in Colorado out of billet aluminum.

Your test results show it is better than the SE unit. Which one? The Stage I or the Heavy Breather?

Also, the thing I like about the HB is that the PVB seems to not need to be vented into the intake. Is that the same with the hurricane units? Why do we need the breather kit to pump crankcase fumes back to the combustion chamber or what exactly does it do? I'm curious.

aklim156581 01-16-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkman73 (Post 9266468)
I noticed a huge difference after installing the SE breather. I had SE IIs and X14iEDs on the bike already, then when I installed the SE breather it really brought the bike to life and is a very noticable difference.

Stage I or Heavy Breather? I'm a little new to the terminology. SE II?

CanuckSporty 01-16-2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 9266497)

SE II's are slip on mufflers

CanuckSporty 01-16-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkman73 (Post 9266468)
I noticed a huge difference after installing the SE breather. I had SE IIs and X14iEDs on the bike already, then when I installed the SE breather it really brought the bike to life and is a very noticable difference.

I noticed the biggest difference after tuning it properly. The point is whichever aftermarket AC one goes with, the performance gains with be the same.
Getting it tuned properly will make the biggest difference IMO.

CanuckSporty 01-16-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by NRHS (Post 9266527)
Our dyno testing was against the Stage 1 SE ac. The heavy breather is a nice piece but it does route the breathers back into the intake just like stock. the Hurricane flow units require a breather kit as we route the breathers outside of the ac which gives more power and does not put all that crap back into your intake which has a tendency to cause build-up on your pistons.

That is probably the most important thing to look for in an AC. I didn't realize yours did that. I'll have to reconsider.

I have an SRT8 Jeep and to even get anybody to tune it they require a catch can be installed to keep oil out of the intake.

Is there a picture of this somewhere? and the other breather kit?:

Billet mini catch can by Golan, chrome plated, uses standard 3/8 fuel line, used to catch any blow by oil that come out breathers

aklim156581 01-16-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by NRHS (Post 9266527)
Our dyno testing was against the Stage 1 SE ac. The heavy breather is a nice piece but it does route the breathers back into the intake just like stock. the Hurricane flow units require a breather kit as we route the breathers outside of the ac which gives more power and does not put all that crap back into your intake which has a tendency to cause build-up on your pistons.

Are we saying "outside" as in it doesn't go into the combustion chamber at all? If so, I know what I am buying come spring. Do you have install instructions for both the breather and the filter?

Sharkman73 01-16-2012 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 9266497)

SE II slip-ons, SE Stage 1 breather kit not the heavy breather. I am still using the factory cover(ham can) with the SE kit.

aklim156581 01-16-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkman73 (Post 9266764)
SE II slip-ons, SE Stage 1 breather kit not the heavy breather. I am still using the factory cover(ham can) with the SE kit.

Thanx. A little confusing at times

Screamin' EagleŽ Street Performance Slip-On Mufflers - SportsterŽ Shorty Dual

http://www.harley-davidson.com/media...pacer_e204.gif
Street legal high-flow mufflers are factory tuned to deliver an aggressive exhaust note and improved performance comparable to Screamin' EagleŽ II mufflers. Chrome-plated mufflers feature a new ballistic-shape inlet and a deep embossed Screamin' EagleŽ signature script. 50-state street legal on stock '07-later XL model engines.

CanuckSporty 01-16-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 9266825)
Thanx. A little confusing at times

The Street Performance slip-ons are the newer version of the SE II's. I have them and am happy with the sound. They are not overly loud; If stock is a 1 these are about a 3-4.

aklim156581 01-16-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CanuckSporty (Post 9266954)
The Street Performance slip-ons are the newer version of the SE II's. I have them and am happy with the sound. They are not overly loud; If stock is a 1 these are about a 3-4.

Is there some glossary for terms for the newbie or does it have to go one phrase at a time? :icon_goofygrin::icon_nic: