Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Camping gear ?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/731812-camping-gear.html)

IronBoy883 02-09-2012 08:13 AM

Camping gear ??

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around an I saw some threads on tents but all were on bigger bikes, what tents do you guys have that are small enough to store on my iron ? I am using the sissy bar and an hd travel bag. Also what othe gear is essential for camping and riding ? Going on a 5 day trip in the end of June across pa to the great lakes and looking to start buyin the gear now.

Thanks aim advance
Matt

robosmurf 02-09-2012 08:16 AM

Are you going by yourself? I have a camping hammock. It has a bug net and a rainfly, perfect for my lonely assed self.

warrick 02-09-2012 08:41 AM

Not sure what you are looking to spend, but if you want a good one, lifetime warranty, here you go....

http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-...erson-3-season

Mountain Hadwear makes excellent gear. They have pics of how small it can fold up.

John Harper 02-09-2012 08:59 AM

I picked up a similar tent made by Alpine Designs at the Sports Authority, only about $30. I've used it camping and backpacking for three years now and it's still in great condition. I've got the Hiker/Biker 2 person and also the 1 person. I'd go with the 2 person, the other one is pretty confined and you can't really sit up inside. Weighs about 3.5 pounds.

Also, I got a LaFuma down ultralight bag, only 1 pound, 7 ounces, good to 30 degrees. I actually used it at 10,000 feet one night and survived overnight lows in the low 20's once. Don't forget a pad too, Thermarest is nice.

John

warrick 02-09-2012 09:17 AM

you may have been lucky, but those things have shitty poles that break easily. My option was for a "good" tent that won't need replaced.

Keep buying over and over, or just do it right with certain things. If you are gonna use the thing, don't skimp. If it's a once a year thing, maybe, but if I was stuck somewhere with a broken pole I would be pissed...

krs1 02-09-2012 09:49 AM

My best advise to you is to go to a higher end sporting goods or camping store like REI or Whatever is in your area. You want to look at backpacking gear. Stuff that is built to get as compact as possible. I'm not saying buy from those stores because most of that stuff is exspensive but target gear you like and Internet shop for the best price. Also check of military surplus items. I have a bag, waterproof poncho/hammock, canteen and first aid kit I also roll with. Also a good knife.

I always stick a bedroll on my handle bars. I have a heavy duty serape blanket that I use for that. A lot of times it never leaves the bars but when it's cold out or when you need some extra cushion to sleep on it is great.

Gas, I have a couple of MSR bottles and a 1 gallon gas can I bring if I'm going long distance or places I have not been before.

I try not to weigh my self down with clothes. A t shirts and a flannel are about as far as I go outside of what I'm riding in.

Getting your the perfect kit has taken me years but I am finnally pretty happy with mine now. It just takes actually getting out there to figure out what you don't have and what you need to get for next time. you will always wish you have brought something you left at home.

Manninagh 02-09-2012 10:07 AM

Coleman Avior X2 tent: not too expensive, good quality, and packs down to 12 x 4 inches. Thermarest neoair mattress, fitted sheet, Ventra quilt: all you need for most conditions, comfy even for an old fat guy like me, and packs down REALLY small (pricey though). Any compact stove for which you can get fuel (Jetboil great: compact, quick, with pot/cup, but again pricey. I also take a Kermit chair, cos I'm too old to sit on the ground - made in the great state of Tennessee! I can fit all the above in one pannier on my Glide, or a Kury roll tour bag on the rack of my old Sporty.

As a tent alternative, IF you can guarantee trees or similar, a Hennesy hammock is the best night's sleep you can get outdoors - and it's bugproof.

As I say, some of this is pricey, but it lasts, it works, and you always pay for lightwight/compact. If it makes you feel better, it'll be cheaper for you in the States!

FBFletch 02-09-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by IronBoy883 (Post 9368879)
Hey everyone,

I've been looking around an I saw some threads on tents but all were on bigger bikes, what tents do you guys have that are small enough to store on my iron ? I am using the sissy bar and an hd travel bag. Also what othe gear is essential for camping and riding ? Going on a 5 day trip in the end of June across pa to the great lakes and looking to start buyin the gear now.

There are two things I learned while shopping for a tent for motorcycle camping:

1) Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

2) Two-person tents are for all practical purposes one-person tents and three-person tents are really two-person tents.

With that said, if you only plan to camp a couple of times there's no point in investing in a quality tent that's going to last you for years to come. However, if you're planning on doing a lot of camping and want a tent that's going to hold up under all conditions, I recommend looking at a Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE or 3XTE.

I bought a 3XTE for my wife and I to camp in which is the tent I took with me to Sturgis last year. The 3XTE was an good size for me and adequate size for my wife and I but, I'd like something a bit bigger for the two of us. For me, camping by myself in Sturgis it was perfect. Even with the 3XTE being a three-person tent, it packs to a very small size and can easily be strapped to a luggage rack.

lizdc 02-09-2012 10:13 AM

I wrote a bunch on camping off my sporty including our big trip to sturgis but many I went alone. I am in hurry right now but if you search for my id plus camping or tents you will find I shared a bunch of advise on gear and getting on a sporty. The most basic is 1. A medium or large duffle strapped to the sissybar(Rei has one for like $30 that is water resistant) on back seat and rei or other place for backbacking gear. Put everything inside plastic freezer bags so they are water tight. I got know for this so helped a bunch of guys figure out gear on here and also on BON. I was able to fit everything tent, stove, sleeping bag, pad, lights, clothes, and a small soft cooler PLUS a chair in the bag on my sporty. I did a ton of solo trips that way.

IronBoy883 02-09-2012 10:18 AM

Thanks guys this is really helpful ! For this trip Im going with my dad and two other friends I ride with regularly so I only need room for one, however I do plan on going on a lot of trips in the future and would like a tent big enough for me and my gf ( but small enough to fit on bike with both of us on it ). This trip is to celebrate my college graduation and hopefully I wont be bartending making enough to " get by " for too much longer hahaha Im all about quality ( thats why I bought an HD hahaha ) so I would rather pay a little more now and be able to enjoy it later ! Im a little guy 5'9 150 so unless these tents are really small I can prob fit into any of them. Thanks again and I appreciate all the advice I can get !