Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Imaposer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imaposer
Old thread I know, but a good one for me to find! I recently got a new 48 and have been researching various upgrades that I plan to do as money allows. I had been thinking about doing something to improve the brakes. A few days ago I stumbled upon this thread, and last night I ordered the caliper from cyclepartsforless. Then today it occurred to me that I'll need pads too. I'd like to get everything together so I can hopefully do the swap this weekend....

So, what pads are you running with this caliper?

I've read numerous threads recommending using Lyndall Golds as an upgrade for the stock 48 caliper, but it doesn't appear that Lyndall offer their pads for the XR caliper. Should I just pick up stock H-D pads, or is there something better? Cheaper?

Nevermind. My caliper came in today.

I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to find that it comes with a set of pads pre-installed.

Hope to get it mounted up tomorrow night after work. Not sure when I'll get a chance to bed the new pads in and test it out with this weather though... Maybe this weekend at some point...

Attached Thumbnails XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48-caliper1_zps2de24277.jpg   XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48-caliper_zps31e06213.jpg   XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48-caliper1_zps2de24277.jpg   XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48-caliper_zps31e06213.jpg  

Last edited by Imaposer; 01-24-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM
Imaposer
Intermediate

Last edited by Imaposer; 01-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Imaposer
Intermediate

Hmmmm.... My pics won't show up. They did in the preview but not after I made the post...

My avatar isn't showing either....

Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread I know, but a good one for me to find! I recently got a new 48 and have been researching various upgrades that I plan to do as money allows. I had been thinking about doing something to improve the brakes. A few days ago I stumbled upon this thread, and last night I ordered the caliper from cyclepartsforless. Then today it occurred to me that I'll need pads too. I'd like to get everything together so I can hopefully do the swap this weekend....

So, what pads are you running with this caliper?

I've read numerous threads recommending using Lyndall Golds as an upgrade for the stock 48 caliper, but it doesn't appear that Lyndall offer their pads for the XR caliper. Should I just pick up stock H-D pads, or is there something better? Cheaper?
Don't feel bad for bringing this thread back alive...as I almost forgot about it myself. Thanks for all who took the time to further my original post and provide part numbers. This by far, was one of the smarter mods I've done...especially since I have now done some pretty extensive engine mods and the bike scoots so much faster now, I need to be able to stop better as well. It is unbelievable how much better brake control you have with the XR caliper...99% of the time I don't even use the back brake and I clamp hard down on the front and it stops so well now.

I am only using the stock HD pads for this caliper...unless something would be cheaper to run, can't see needing anything else....
Thought I would add some pics...changed the rotor also...

Last edited by WildThang; 01-24-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 AM
cripple
Cruiser

Well I am definitely doing this. Just want to check, the brake pads are the same on the XR and sportser calipers?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 AM
WildThang
Road Master

Originally Posted by cripple
Well I am definitely doing this. Just want to check, the brake pads are the same on the XR and sportser calipers?
Maybe of similiar material...but different part numbers I believe

Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by WildThang

Wow, outstanding job on your 48 Incredible!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Imaposer
Intermediate

Yes, that is one outstanding looking bike!

What coil relocation kit are you using? And, did you do a tank lift and wire tuck as well? Sorta hard to see from that angle.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
WildThang
Road Master

Yes, that is one outstanding looking bike!

What coil relocation kit are you using? And, did you do a tank lift and wire tuck as well? Sorta hard to see from that angle.
DK Customs coil relocation. With my drag bars, IMO, any tank lift would have destroyed the lines of the bike...so I just tucked the wires....

Last edited by WildThang; 01-24-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Imaposer
Intermediate

Yeah, I've been debating that issue myself. There's a part of me that likes the TL and a part that doesn't. Mainly I don't won't to loose any of my already dismal tank capacity and from what I understand, you loose some with a tank lift.

But, another thing is the wire tuck. I don't want to cut the factory harness or remove any factory connectors, and from what I understand you really need to do a tank lift to do a wire tuck with everything intact. Is this not true? Any info or pics on how you accomplished yours?

Quick Reply: XR LH Front Brake Caliper swap on 48