Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 Sportster 883 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down in Wilmington, dang. All of the advice you've received on here regarding it being fuel related sounds right to me. Once you're done with the battery, I'd look in that direction.

Last edited by nc883; 03-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by pin6pts
@ Charley: Yes, check the tank has gas, fuel stem is ON (tried RES too). Set to RUN (it cranks but doesn't start). I think it was pretty sudden when it stalled, more like hitting the kill switch than running out of gas. The battery was reading 12.18 volts after trying to start it so many times, and dropping down to 9 volt when actually trying to start it.

@nc883, RTP.

I went and got a battery charger and charging it now. The battery was reading 11 volts which didn't seem like enough to start the bike. All the accessories and lights are working though.
Good choice. A full battery should measure 12.8 volts.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
pin6pts
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charged the battery and nothing. Got some starter fluid, took of the air filter and spray some in the intake. It started up for literally a second and then stalled out again. So I am pretty sure it is a fuel issue. Just don't get it though, how could it start up and run fine to work, then start up fine after work, just sat for 8 hours, then have a fuel problem? The bike only has 4000 miles on it and was fully serviced at a HD shop 1100 miles ago. I said I wanted to learn all about this bike, so I should be grateful that God is allowing me this opportunity to learn. First week of 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky though...

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pin6pts
I am really new to all this and need a pretty high level of detail. Do you mean the air filter when you say air cleaner? If so, do I need to take off the air cleaner back plate as well? When looking at the carb, how do I check to make sure it is getting the fuel it needs?
I assume you have a air cleaner cover of some sort installed. Remove the cover and then the air filter. Kneel down and while looking at the carb give the throttle a twist. You should see a fuel spraying into the carb. If you see no fuel that would indicate a fuel problem. No need to remove the back plate at this time.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM
nc883
Road Warrior

Did you look at your fuel cut off switch? Should have a 1/4" or so fuel hose clamped to the bottom of it, to feed the motor, and a smaller vacuum line hooked to it as well. Maybe somebody messed with your ride and took one off? Plus, like the previous post, check for fuel getting to the carb when when you twist the throttle.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

so you tested with starter fuid and it fired...that tells me you are not getting fuel from the tank to the intake...pull off the fuel line with the petcock in the off position, then turn it on ..fuel should run out...if it does, hook it back up and turn the fuel back on... and open the float bowl drain, you can get to it from the left side of the bike between the cylinders with a long screwdriver ..its a screw on the side of the float bowl...when you turn it a few turns you should get fuel out of the hose that is attached to bottom of the carb (it may take a minute or 2 to come out), it will run out near the front of the bike, just follow the hose and see where it ends...if you dont get fuel there it is likely your float is stuck in the up position or you have some crap stuck in the line...try tapping on the float bowl with the butt of the screwdriver...if that doesn't work you will need to take the carb off and disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if fuel comes out...if no fuel there, blow out line, if yes fuel open carb float bowl and see whats up...be careful not to bend the float of the carb, the adjustment is critical for the bike to run right....go try this stuff and report back...also catch the gas that drains from the carb (if there is any) in a glass jar....it may be full of water which you will be able to see as a line in the gas...hell, the gas tank may be full of water and you just think you have fuel....I had that happen to car once, stumped the **** out of me for several days...it smelled like gas, pumped into the carb like gas, but was just water...

Last edited by mrfikser; 03-15-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by mrfikser
so you tested with starter fuid and it fired...that tells me you are not getting fuel from the tank to the intake...pull off the fuel line with the petcock in the off position, then turn it on ..fuel should run out...if it does, hook it back up and turn the fuel back on... and open the float bowl drain, you can get to it from the left side of the bike between the cylinders with a long screwdriver ..its a screw on the side of the float bowl...when you turn it a few turns you should get fuel out of the hose that is attached to bottom of the carb (it may take a minute or 2 to come out), it will run out near the front of the bike, just follow the hose and see where it ends...if you dont get fuel there it is likely your float is stuck in the up position or you have some crap stuck in the line...try tapping on the float bowl with the butt of the screwdriver...if that doesn't work you will need to take the carb off and disconnect the fuel line at the carb and see if fuel comes out...if no fuel there, blow out line, if yes fuel open carb float bowl and see whats up...be careful not to bend the float of the carb, the adjustment is critical for the bike to run right....go try this stuff and report back...also catch the gas that drains from the carb (if there is any) in a glass jar....it may be full of water which you will be able to see as a line in the gas...hell, the gas tank may be full of water and you just think you have fuel....I had that happen to car once, stumped the **** out of me for several days...it smelled like gas, pumped into the carb like gas, but was just water...
No, fuel should not run out of the petcock doing that unless the bike has an aftermarket petcock. The stock petcock is vacuum controlled and won't flow fuel unless the motor is turning over and creating enough vacuum to actuate it. The lack of vacuum from a cracked, broken, or disconnected vacuum hose is more likely the culprit.

Last edited by cHarley; 03-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
pin6pts
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She’s running!!!!

Took a good look at the fuel value and the hoses. No fuel was spraying in the carb when I cranked the throttle, so problem was before that. Guess the large hose coming out of the bottom of the fuel value which goes to the carb is for the fuel. The little hose that goes to some connector joint and the carb as well, was stuck between the engine and the choke. The choke has a plastic tube that holds the cable I think, and at the end of that is a bolt, assume to adjust the choke. Anyway the suction hose off the fuel valve was wedged between the engine and that bolt, so I freed it. Only to find the darn thing severed nearly in two. Got some electric tape wrapped around the hose and plugged her back in, doused the intake with starter fluid and bingo. Started, ran for a minute, then took her around the parking lot a few times. Totally stoked!!!!! Was able to get her home.

Thank you everyone for all your help. Actually, know a good place to get a replacement hose without going to a HD shop? Imagine I can get any correct gage hose and cut it to fit. The protective plastic sleeve only covered about half of the hose, so I will need to find one of those too to prevent this from happening again.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Good deal. You can buy the vacuum hose at any auto parts store.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM
nc883
Road Warrior

awesome!

Quick Reply: 01 Sportster 883 won't start