Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diabolical Tank lift and Coil relocation (DIY WIP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diabolical Tank lift and Coil relocation [UPDATE, FINISHED!]

[UPDATE] Finished, ish.

I started today by grinding off the shizz welds and just tidying up the bracket.

Once i was happy, i cleaned it up with a wire wheel.

Primed it.

Painted it

Thats all for the bracket, Now for the fun part, basically just cut off all the zip ties that hold the plastic bits onto the back bone on both sides. Undo the tank from the bottom bolt then lift out of the way. removed the seat too.

i unscrewed the ign barrel and yanked the coil out. and unplugged everything all the way down to the plugs at the bottom left (front) side of the engine, (oil filter and various other plugs, o2 sensor etc) Just unplug it all.

this is the harness unplugged

I wrapped all the colourful wires in electrical tape to hide the gayness. To make it easier i supported the tank while i fkuked about with the wires. (i used a digger air filter.... anything soft will do) WHen its all wrapped up post all the wires up over and through the left side of the tank, jiggle about till it fits well.

Then i plugged everything back in and mounted the coil and ignition to my bracket.

I needed to angle the ign barrel for now. Tomorrow I'm going to swap the ht leads around so the ign barrel sits straight and i need to cut down and tidy up the long ht lead. I just wanted it working for tonight, its friday after all....

Once all in place i just wrapped up the cables with electrical tape, tweaked here and there and added a few cable ties to tidy it all up.

I managed to tidy the collection of wires showing in this picture but forgot to get a picture of this side but you can see its now tucked away from the other side pic.

All done!

I ran out of pictures, feel free to ask any questions. Still some tweaking to go but it was a pretty straight forward process. Really happy with how it looks.

Ok, I've ordered some fun parts from the US, rigid struts, arlen ness big sucker and a licence plate relocation from somewhere in the EU. The problem with living in the UK is waiting for US parts to be delivered it can take a few weeks... sad face.

To keep busy I'm going to make my own tank risers and coil relocation bracket as the postage costs from the US costs damn near the price of the Kits. Making parts is fun too.

I started off by cutting, grinding, measuring and drilling the tank risers, i won't go into too much detail it was child's play. Founds some thin-ish steel plates (mine came from a car battery clamp) measured two inches apart, marked them, centre punched them then drilled them. Then i rounded off the edges on the bench grinder, scuffed them with some wet and dry, Primed, painted them and lacquered them with rattle cans.

This is how it came out once i bolted those suckers on....

After i started on the bracket for the coil and Ign barrel relocation.

I started off with some proper steel, aprox 2mm thick and 1inch wide. measured cut and bent accordingly to fit across the cylinders.

Once the shape was right i measured and drilled the holes.

I cut a tab of the same steel to be welded to the top this is to become the Ign barrel bracket.

Then i welded Ign barrel tab on the top and the soon to be Coil bracket on the bottom. Please excuse the Nazzzty welds ill clean them up tomorrow!

That was all for today, tomorrow ill clean the welds up and blast over them with the mig, measure and drill the mount holes, prep, prime, spray and lacquer the finished piece.

Ill update tomorrow and fit it on saturday when i have some free time at work.

Last edited by IamDiabolical; 03-16-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: [UPDATE FINISHED]
Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

^^^ Pass the popcorn

Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 AM
ahhwataday
Tourer

I used the same gauge steel and bolt set up on my lift.

For my coil, I used the stock steel backing (Locateed on the inside of the coil/key switch mount) and drilled/bolted it to the choke mount. I also notched the top so If fit perfectly. Then bolted the coil right back to it. Free, easy, looks great. I also chopped my stock plug wires. i think i need to make them a little shorter.

So far it looks good man, keep it up

Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ahhwataday
I used the same gauge steel and bolt set up on my lift.

For my coil, I used the stock steel backing (Locateed on the inside of the coil/key switch mount) and drilled/bolted it to the choke mount. I also notched the top so If fit perfectly. Then bolted the coil right back to it. Free, easy, looks great. I also chopped my stock plug wires. i think i need to make them a little shorter.

So far it looks good man, keep it up
I did think about re using the existing bracket but while the materials where free at work I'd have a go myself.
I figured I'd have to chop the ht lead for the 1st cylinder its way long!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

Updated 1st post.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Looks good sir....I love seeing people making their own parts.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
KOBRA883
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post good detail bike looks awesome!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 PM
JasonDeal
Cruiser

looks like your didn't have enough heat on some off those welds. They cleaned up nice though

Old 03-17-2012, 05:21 AM
IamDiabolical
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JasonDeal
looks like your didn't have enough heat on some off those welds. They cleaned up nice though
im not much of a welder but it would have been nice to have some nice visible welds on it. Ill get there in time!

Quick Reply: Diabolical Tank lift and Coil relocation (DIY WIP)