Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amsoil 20w50 for primary/ transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

spram some butter flavored pam in there you'll be fine

Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Syn3 in the motor and Formula+ in the primary/trans. In my electra I am using Amsoil in the motor this run to try it and so far so good.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
zolone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sucessfully maintenced my bike today without going to harley and i feel accomplished i ended up going with the amsoil and everything was fine no slipping of the clutch or anything. thanks for your replies!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

+1 cHarley

Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but you've had one brain fart too many. All Gear Oils DO NOT contain molybdenum.
Amsoil Gear Oil, that I recommended, has no molybdenum and neither does Mobil-1 Gear Oil or HD's Formula+ Gear Oil (which is now the primary/tranny oil recommended by the MoCo for
Sporties).

BTW, 80,000 miles on my bike, original clutch, all running Mobil-
1 75-90 GEAR OIL.

Right. I've had one brain fart too many,however you don't see me recommending gear oil in the primary. Pretty sure Harley doesn't recommend it either.
Do whatever you want with your bike.
Does that gear oil you are using have a JASO stamp on it. You know,the one that means it's good for wet clutches.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Right. I've had one brain fart too many,however you don't see me recommending gear oil in the primary. Pretty sure Harley doesn't recommend it either.
Sorry, but you are extremely misguided. Most Gear Oils do not contain moly (a friction modifier). You seem to be confusing Gear Oil with automotive Motor Oils many of which do contain friction modifiers, moly being the most common.
Harley ABSOLUTELY does recommend their Formula+ Gear Oil for use in the Sporty primary/tranny.

Does that gear oil you are using have a JASO stamp on it. You know,the one that means it's good for wet clutches.
Ah yes, it carries the JASO label, if it didn't I wouldn't have been using it (quite successfully) for the last 80,000 miles.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Big_Redneck
Tourer

All I know is that Amsoil is really good s**t...

Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

I realize that you must not be an old member on this forum but if advice is coming from cHarley, you can bet its great advice. he's been on this forum longer than most and has helped me out of many jams. I promise you, he knows what he's talking about. just so you know.

Last edited by guitarman023; 03-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Cazimere
Road Captain

Originally Posted by guitarman023
I realize that you must not be an old member on this forum but if advice is coming from cHarley, you can bet its great advice. he's been on this forum longer than most and has helped me out of many jams. I promise you, he knows what he's talking about. just so you know.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
ahhwataday
Tourer

The hell with what Harley recommends, I listen to cHarley. He doesn't lie to me to get all my money for poor quality and customer service

Quick Reply: amsoil 20w50 for primary/ transmission