Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, intro and Sportster questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Jeff10236
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, intro and Sportster questions

So, my current ride is a 2009 Suzuki Boulevard C50SE that is dressed up like a light tourer (bags, windshield, engine guards with highway pegs, soon to be installed sissybar with backrest). Nice enough bike, but not really want I want (I'm the only owner, I bought it new in April 2010). I live in a small city within a major metro area (I'm near both Baltimore and Washington DC) and for about 80% of my riding it (and the Sportster, I'm coming to my Sportster questions soon) is just fine. However, I do like to take weekend trips from time to time and I would really like to be able to take my motorcycle on a long vacation, possibly a cross-country trip in a year or two.

For my typical around town and short highway rides my current bike, and a possible future Sporster, are perfect. I ride my bike as primary transportation when I can (or did when it was on the road- it currently needs some work). However, my 805cc cruiser is lacking a bit on long trips and I can only go about 70-80 miles before I have to find an excuse to stop and stretch my legs. However, it really isn't what I want. Obviously, with the kinds of riding I want to do (travel) something bigger would make sense. However, with my daily riding I don't want too big. On paper, it seems that a Dyna would be about perfect. However, stylistically I absolutely love the Sportsters, and like my current bike, they would be perfect for 80% of my riding (when I don't take trips). I love the look of several ways I could set up a 1200C. I also absolutely love the Iron and the Nightster. Additionally, I'm on a teacher budget, I'd really like a Harley (or Victory, but more likely a Harley), while I can probably do a Dyna and maybe a new Softail, the Sportster is definitely more comfortably in my price range.

So, does anyone here have experience with the mid-sized Japanese cruisers and Sportsters? I hear that the Sportster suspension is lacking on long rides, but mine isn't particularly comfortable either. How does the Sportster compare on a several hundred mile ride v. a 750-900cc Japanese cruiser? What can be done to make a Sportster better? With progressive shocks and a Mustang seat can a 1200cc Sportster be made at least as suitable for my longer highway trips as my current ride? Or, should I just forget the Sportster and go with a Dyna?

I haven't test rode one to see first hand, but then a test ride won't really be long enough to really get a good feel for the long-range comfort of a bike. Also, I know once I ride one I won't be able to wait to buy, so I don't want to test ride until I'm closer to buying (probably a couple months). I may rent one, but I might just save that money for accessories . Anyway, I'd love to get some feedback from Sportster owners (especially if any of you were once Japanese bike owners).

Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forums,

Sportsters are rough riding bikes, you get the full harley experience on one. Shakes rattles and rolls roughly down the road. You can do things to improve the ride, I just added progressive 412s to my 48 and it made a huge difference. But you will still be wanting to hop off every couple of hours to adjust your back and stretch as they are a raw riding bike. You will love it for that 80% you normally ride but that other 20% you will have to compromise and make stops more often. I love my 48 and wouldn't trade it for anything, I ride it all day when the chance presents itself. But I also enjoy a nice stop and stretch when the opportunity presents itself, luckily for me my 2.1 gallon tank presents that opportunity about every 75 miles or so. Your best bet would be to rent one like you were already thinking about, that will help you make up your mind.

Last edited by Captain Smooth; 04-02-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 PM
tandt
Cruiser

Welcome!

I can advise as I currently have a Nightster and owned a Kawi 900 Custom and a Kawi 800 Classic before that.

The engine on the HD is stronger and never feels 'wound out' like the Kawis did. It has something to do with gearing as well but the 1200 feels happy at 70mph where the 900 and 800 were buzzy and felt like they were working too hard.

The Nightster suspension is brutal. There's about 1.5 inches of rear travel and a bump at highway speeds becomes a "bang" as the shocks bottom out and your spine takes up the rest. Both my Kawis were more comfortable.

The Nightster is not a touring bike, or even a light touring bike. You can put bags on it I guess but I say why do so? The Nightster (and the Iron as they are the same bike/different engine) are designed for, and work well for, ripping around town with the odd short haul on a freeway. The tank is small so you won't get much more than 1.5 hours down the highway before you're looking for gas.

You sound like you need a Heritage, or a Road King. Don't try and retrofit a Sportster to be something it's not. There are guys who take a Sportster and swap out suspension, add luggage, light bars, custom seats, and more power to 'em. But if you want my advice, just take the plunge and get a medium touring HD because that's the kind of improvement you're looking for. From a 800cc Zook to a 1200 Sporty is an upgrade for sure, and you'll love the HD, but you say you're looking to do cross-country and weekend trips - I would not recommend the Sporty for those applications.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Jeff10236
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tandt
Welcome!

I can advise as I currently have a Nightster and owned a Kawi 900 Custom and a Kawi 800 Classic before that.

The engine on the HD is stronger and never feels 'wound out' like the Kawis did. It has something to do with gearing as well but the 1200 feels happy at 70mph where the 900 and 800 were buzzy and felt like they were working too hard.

The Nightster suspension is brutal. There's about 1.5 inches of rear travel and a bump at highway speeds becomes a "bang" as the shocks bottom out and your spine takes up the rest. Both my Kawis were more comfortable.

The Nightster is not a touring bike, or even a light touring bike. You can put bags on it I guess but I say why do so? The Nightster (and the Iron as they are the same bike/different engine) are designed for, and work well for, ripping around town with the odd short haul on a freeway. The tank is small so you won't get much more than 1.5 hours down the highway before you're looking for gas.

You sound like you need a Heritage, or a Road King. Don't try and retrofit a Sportster to be something it's not. There are guys who take a Sportster and swap out suspension, add luggage, light bars, custom seats, and more power to 'em. But if you want my advice, just take the plunge and get a medium touring HD because that's the kind of improvement you're looking for. From a 800cc Zook to a 1200 Sporty is an upgrade for sure, and you'll love the HD, but you say you're looking to do cross-country and weekend trips - I would not recommend the Sporty for those applications.
Is the suspension tuned much differently in 1200C than the Nightster or Iron? Of course, I do hear that no Sporty is good for long highway rides, and it does say something when even the dealer tries to steer me away, but they are calling to me. For most of the riding I do a Sportster would be fine, and I do love the style. I know my ideal would be for me to own two bikes since what I want isn't really the job for just one bike if I want a bike ideally suited for the job. I'm either going to get something great for the highway that is a bit heavy for around town, or a perfect around town and fun ride bike that isn't as comfortable on a trip (maybe instead of a new HD, I should trade my bike on two used bikes- some kind of heavy cruiser or tourer and a used Sporty).

As for the Road King or Heritage Softail, I do like that look too. However, it is heavier than I think I want for my day to day riding, and I really like the look of a more stripped down bike. I am starting to think that for a one bike that can do it all adequately situation that the Dynas may be the way to go (decent responsiveness and handling like the Sporty, but acceptable on long rides as well), but I do really want a Sporty. Maybe I really should think about a way to get two bikes more specialized to the task at hand- maybe pick up an older used Sporty for now along with either keeping my bike or better, getting a used big Japanese cruiser or tourer for my weekend trips and vacations (on a teacher's salary, if I do the two bike thing I'd have to either have no loans or a loan on only one, I doubt I'd be able to swing two used HDs, but if I went a little older on both I might be able to).

Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 AM
J3r3myC0x
Intermediate

Jeff, I would have to agree with tandt on this. I recently bought my first HD and choose the Nightster solely on the looks of the bike to be perfectly honest. I didn't even get a chance to test ride it before I took it home, but for me its a toy and not a daily rider. I did go for a ride this past week for an entire afternoon though and can tell you that my gas light goes off after a mere 100 miles and my a$$ and lower back were quite stiff/sore for a day or two after w/ the Badlander 2-up seat. (I have since ordered the sundowner deep bucket 2-up seat and am waiting for it to arrive.)

Also, I have the rear suspension on the lowest setting as well and haven't really tested it on other settings to know how much difference it makes, but can tell you that the ride is extremely rougher compared to a Suzuki Intruder 1400 that I used to own. But hey, it's a Harley. Good luck on your future decision.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Jeff10236
Intermediate

Oh, I mentioned a cross-country trip in a couple years (I'm a teacher and I'd like to throw a tent on the back of my bike and see the country before I move into administration and lose my summers off). If I get the Sporty, I don't see it as the bike I'd try to do that on. For clarity, I'm looking for it for the same jobs I'd use my current bike for- a lot of riding around town (I take my bike instead of my car whenever I can), commuting to work, joyrides on the weekend, and for weekend trips out of town. We're talking 2-4 hours on the road each way on those trips, not a full fledged vacation several states away from home (though on the east coast, 4 hours can be a couple states away). There is a slim chance I'd take it (even though it isn't ideal) on one or two longer vacations (with a lot of stops).

I would probably buy a late model used bike instead of new, though I might go new with a decent down payment. I would hope to have it paid off and be ready to also buy a bigger bike by the time the cross-country trip rolls around (and if I'm not there, I would buy a used Japanese touring bike just for that trip that I'd sell when I'm finished). I wouldn't try to make a Sporty (or an 800cc Japanese cruiser like my C50) do something that it really isn't suited for. Again, just a little clarification in case this is going into anyone's recommendations.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Jeff10236
Intermediate

Originally Posted by J3r3myC0x
... I did go for a ride this past week for an entire afternoon though and can tell you that my gas light goes off after a mere 100 miles and my a$$ and lower back were quite stiff/sore for a day or two after w/ the Badlander 2-up seat. (I have since ordered the sundowner deep bucket 2-up seat and am waiting for it to arrive.)...
I'm torn between the tanks. The 4.5 gallon tank of the Custom would mean a lot fewer stops (which can be a pain, and on a trip where you don't know exactly where the gas stations are and when you'll hit one can be some peace of mind). However, the 120-150 mile range of the 3.3 gallon Nightster might be all I could go without stopping if I got a Sportster (I know that is about the max I can do with my C50 without real pain, and I prefer 70-80 miles). I'd love to hear what difference the Sundowner has over the Badlander. Those two (plus the Brawler) are the seats I'm considering if I buy a Sportster and don't go with an aftermarket Mustang seat.

Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-03-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I have a '12 Custom. It rides better than the Iron I had by a long shot. It has the mid glide front end like the 48 (which I love), nice suspension, 4.5 gallon tank and dare I say a comfy seat with nice lower back support. This is my 3rd Sporty and by far my favorite.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 1200C's engine is the same, as far as styling goes, its a bit different than the nightster and the 48. Don't let the other guys steer you away just cuz they are uncomfortable, you need to test ride the 1200C yourself.

I own a nightster, switched out the suspension (both front and back) and I take allot of trips on it. I pack gear onto it, i 2 up. It's a great bike. I'm a big guy and am adding a tourer to my stable but I'm always going to keep my Nightster.
the 1200C tank is going to get you farther than the peanut tank on a nightter and the smaller 48 tank. so by the time you fill up at around 150 miles, you'll be wanting to stretch anyway

Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah sportsters cant tour.......especially the 48 with a tiny 2 gal tank.

Youll be stopping every 20 feet for gas, which sucks when in the boonies and the gas station hasnt been open in 5 years.

Quick Reply: New here, intro and Sportster questions