Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb pouring fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb pouring fuel?

ok guys, never been much of a carb guy (can't even spell the whole word) but here's what I have going on... bike ran fine last fall, put it in my laundry room for the winter and brought it out this spring.. first couple of rides, I noticed after I parked it, given a few minutes it would shoot fuel out of the overflow. There's a guy at work that's knowledgeable so we pulled the carb off, cleaned it, blew it out.. but did not mess with the pin holding the float in... put it back together and it seemed good (actually seems great tons of power)... a day or so later, I park it and smell gas, it's pouring out the overflow tube again... what is going on? currently I just shut the petcock off half a mile from the house and it don't leak, but that's only gonna be good as long as I remember to do that.

any idea? 04 sportster, stock carb, etc.....

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without looking at it, it sounds like the float is sticking and the needle & seat are not sealing......

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
JohnJohnson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
Without looking at it, it sounds like the float is sticking and the needle & seat are not sealing......
Steve, thanks! is it a combination of both or one of them? I was thinking float was sticking but because we cleaned carb am thinking the seal may be alright?

what are the fixes? major, minor?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Sportrider79
Cruiser

Same issue i had on my 2000. Float is either stuck too high. (low if your looking at it upside down) so the needle is not shutting off the fuel flow or the tip of the pin is worn on the bottom of the float. Get a new pin and check the hight. should be level when its closed position

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
+1 - the float is sticking or trash is getting between the needle & seat.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by JohnJohnson
Steve, thanks! is it a combination of both or one of them? I was thinking float was sticking but because we cleaned carb am thinking the seal may be alright?

what are the fixes? major, minor?
replace the needle and the pin holding the float. the float should be fine as long as it doesn't have a crack in it or anything. It's pretty cheap, head for the dealer.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

1. Turn gas off overnight!

2. Follow advice as above. You need to strip your carb again and study the float chamber, float and needle closely.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Odds are you have a grain of crude that's lodged in the rubber seat of the float needle valve or the rubber has hardened, or rotting away and not sealing anymore.

Float adjustment is critical and could be off just a nitch.

The tank vent may be cruded up and causing the pressure to build, and then to release when parked, like a belch, letting some gas to flow out the overflow.

Truthfully you should use your petcock to shut off the fuel whenever the bike isn't running. Auto shut off is one benefit of vacuum petcocks on newer bikes.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 04-24-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Sportrider79
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Odds are you have a grain of crude that's lodged in the rubber seat of the float needle valve or the rubber has hardened, or rotting away and not sealing anymore.

Float adjustment is critical and could be off just a nitch.

The tank vent may be cruded up and causing the pressure to build, and then to release when parked, like a belch, letting some gas to flow out the overflow.

Truthfully you should use your petcock to shut off the fuel whenever the bike isn't running. Auto shut off is one benefit of vacuum petcocks on newer bikes.
I went to a vacuum valve but I still turn it off manualy, Now if I can remember to turn the damn thing back on when I go to ride I get about a block before I get reminded again

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely it's dirt gunk as said before,a quick run on the highway,run it out to the rev limiter and it might clear it. Have had it happen a time or 2,other wise dig in,basically what everyone else said

Quick Reply: carb pouring fuel?