Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM
erwindaveo
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust question

Do I have to get my new 48 tuned if I install slipons. I have heard it both ways. Please help!!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

The general opinion says that if that's all you're doing no.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and my opinion is probably not as long as you dont also change the air sucker...

that said, why not? a good fuel tuner will make your bike run like a rocket- you are riding a bike that you cant control the settings on. it is factory tuned for the best fuel economy. that means it isnt running to perform- its running NOT to perform. if you change the pipes, you have better back pressure but the engine is sure wishing it could match the outflow with the inflow. give it some better inflow and you will really see the problem that i am describing (the engine will run however it will have stalls from time to time and you wont know when it decides to stall- experience talking here).

my fav tuner is on my bike- it lets you tune exactly how you want and to make easy changes any time. very much like a carb adjustment. its a tfi techlusion tuner. and its inexpensive. the perfect combo for your bike is pipes, big sucker and the tfi. easy to tune for your pipes and easy to change if you add a sucker later...

Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 PM
erwindaveo
Stage IV

Thanks for the input. All I want is the sound. Not really looking for the performance just yet. I just don't want to hurt my current performance/ warranty from harley.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erwindaveo
Do I have to get my new 48 tuned if I install slipons. I have heard it both ways. Please help!!
You will feel it if you need to get it tuned, but most likely you wont need it

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely don't need anything to put slip ons on. I also have a 48. I put an open element air cleaner on mine with stock mufflers. Noticed a bit of a stutter or hesitation in certain speeds. Knocked out the baffels in stock exhaust and it seemed to run better, but not as good as stock. Put x14ieds on and that really helped, but still not as good as stock. I put on some vance and hines short shots with competition baffles and now it runs great! Running no baffles is what really jacked up the performance. I've got a oil temp gauge and it runs about 170. I wouldn't mind getting a powervision someday but they r spendy. Just took mine in for dealer service and switched the air filter back to stock and removed the ieds. I left on the slipons and they didn't say anything. If you r switching a baffled slip on for a baffled slip on noworries.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No tuning needed for a set of crap on's I mean slip on's. I but the bike would just just fine with a set of slip on's and a high flow AC, but tuning just make it run that much batter.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a poster above who has a broken keyboard (no uppercase) and claims your bike is factory tuned for economy. Plain wrong. Your bike is tuned for low emissions.
Performance-wise the first thing you should do is getting a tuned ECM. Whether it is tuned on a dyno or auto-tuned is not relevant. A properly tuned ECM will run your engine cooler, give better throttle response and more horsepower. And will not comply with emission standards.
After replacing your ECM you can further increase the performance by getting a good intake and exhaust.

OTOH, if you just want to replace your pipes for looks and/or sound don't bother cashing out for tune.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Performance-wise the first thing you should do is getting a tuned ECM. Whether it is tuned on a dyno or auto-tuned is not relevant. A properly tuned ECM will run your engine cooler, give better throttle response and more horsepower. And will not comply with emission standards.
After replacing your ECM you can further increase the performance by getting a good intake and exhaust.
Since his concern is the warranty, I am not sure how he can do it. SEPST from HD will still void the warranty if I am reading it right. I don't think he has many options unless he is willing to sacrifice the warranty if necessary.