Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Turn signal problem fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
97flh
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportster Turn signal problem fix

Ok, searching all day trying to find a fix for my Dad's Sportster's turn signals. I found alot of threads with the same problem but none with solutions. So i am just starting a thread to answer all of them and to hopefully help people with the same problem in the future.
Here is what happened:
My Dad got a sportster from a police auction, it was pretty beat up, spray painted green, lights and mirrors broken off and all the wiring had been cut to ****. We have been fixing it up for him and came to the wiring and lights. We replaced all the stock lights,we put wedge strut mounted dual filament lights in the back and oval dual filament lights in the front. After a day of wiring everything worked but the signals. There are running lights on all four corners but when you hit the signal button, the light comes on and stays on, no flash. But they work fine as emergency flashers.
When i was going over threads on here people where having the exact same problem and they too had replaced the stock signals. I was thinkin the turn signal module or a ground, but many other people had replaced the tsm with no luck and i knew all my grounds where good since i just rewired the bike. That lead me to the aftermarket lights, they are the common thing in all these threads. Stock signals use 1156 and 1157 bulbs, these aftermarket ones use little 12v5w bulbs, way way smaller. Well i had some load equalizers layin around that came with some led thing i bought at one time so i thought i would try em and they worked.
The fix is wiring in a load equalizer on each corner, you can get the on ebay for a couple bucks. i ordered the ones that handles two lights so i dont have to try and hide four of those things. So either order two from the link below or four of the single lead ones. Here is the link for the two light one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Turn-Sig...325e7f&vxp=mtr

They are super simple, splice one end into the turn signal wire(NOT running light) and the other to the ground. Done. I am putting one inside the headlight bucket and the other under the seat on the fender. i have a little freedom since i am rewiring the whole bike but i am sure you can figure it out. There you go, ride safe

The following users liked this post:
HOTLAP (08-05-2017)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
TheGarbon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem with my Enfields before I remove (they actually fell off on their own) the signals. If the flasher on the Sporty is a 2 wire type you can rectify the issue by going to Napa and buying a variable load flasher. They are made to work with a vehicle that you hook a trailer to but also help when you have unbalanced loads on your motorbike.

I was planning to convert over to LEDs some time in the near future. I believe with those you need to purchase a digital flasher as they draw so little they would need a balast resistor to work with a standard one. (the balast kinda defeats the purpose of the lower load)

If I am off base on this I am sure someone will let me know just how full of crap I am shortly.....

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM
tolmgreg
Stage I
Default Turn signal button

I know I am probably in the wrong forum but I have a quick question anyway. I just changed the grips on my 2008 fat bob and now the turn signal button on the throttle side sticks bad and sometimes can't even push it. Could the cable housing be too tight?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tolmgreg
I know I am probably in the wrong forum but I have a quick question anyway. I just changed the grips on my 2008 fat bob and now the turn signal button on the throttle side sticks bad and sometimes can't even push it. Could the cable housing be too tight?

yep its tooo tight - had this happen on my buddies fat boy loosen it up a bit and now it workin normal

Old 09-15-2013, 05:50 PM
tonyvisone
Advanced

just saw TheGarbon's post about a variable load flasher.

my blinker wont work unless i tap my flasher relay. im about to buy a new one, but im wondering if the variable load flasher could be something i need.

thanks,
tony

Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Ok this is funny. i bought turn signals for my 2001 Sportster 1200 and the blinkers won't blink. Now I know and with a fix to boot.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

So I bought some turn signals and their 12v 10W. I couldn't get them to blink until found this thread and bought some load equalizers. Now they work like a champ. thanks for the post.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:45 AM
italiangraywolf
Stage I
Default 96 Sportster Turn Signal Problem

My problem is different than what I've read here. When I first got the bike the turn signals would flash and not stop flashing if I'm not moving. If I'm moving they would automatically turn off after a period of time. Is that normal? Now they just started working intermittently. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 AM
Oldslvr76
Stage I
Default similar issue

Originally Posted by 97flh
Ok, searching all day trying to find a fix for my Dad's Sportster's turn signals. I found alot of threads with the same problem but none with solutions. So i am just starting a thread to answer all of them and to hopefully help people with the same problem in the future.
Here is what happened:
My Dad got a sportster from a police auction, it was pretty beat up, spray painted green, lights and mirrors broken off and all the wiring had been cut to ****. We have been fixing it up for him and came to the wiring and lights. We replaced all the stock lights,we put wedge strut mounted dual filament lights in the back and oval dual filament lights in the front. After a day of wiring everything worked but the signals. There are running lights on all four corners but when you hit the signal button, the light comes on and stays on, no flash. But they work fine as emergency flashers.
When i was going over threads on here people where having the exact same problem and they too had replaced the stock signals. I was thinkin the turn signal module or a ground, but many other people had replaced the tsm with no luck and i knew all my grounds where good since i just rewired the bike. That lead me to the aftermarket lights, they are the common thing in all these threads. Stock signals use 1156 and 1157 bulbs, these aftermarket ones use little 12v5w bulbs, way way smaller. Well i had some load equalizers layin around that came with some led thing i bought at one time so i thought i would try em and they worked.
The fix is wiring in a load equalizer on each corner, you can get the on ebay for a couple bucks. i ordered the ones that handles two lights so i dont have to try and hide four of those things. So either order two from the link below or four of the single lead ones. Here is the link for the two light one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Turn-Sig...325e7f&vxp=mtr

They are super simple, splice one end into the turn signal wire(NOT running light) and the other to the ground. Done. I am putting one inside the headlight bucket and the other under the seat on the fender. i have a little freedom since i am rewiring the whole bike but i am sure you can figure it out. There you go, ride safe
only the right turn signal works. When I push the left turn it goes to 12v constant. And the light does not work. Ground?

Old 04-23-2020, 04:26 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If you have a question, start a new thread, describe the problem and give model and year...

This thread is just a mishmash of hijacks let it die...