Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   What's the best solution for passenger seat in an Iron (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/767219-whats-the-best-solution-for-passenger-seat-in-an-iron.html)

felipesimon 05-16-2012 02:44 PM

What's the best solution for passenger seat in an Iron

Hi guys, I've been reading a lot here and in other forums about having a passenger seat installed in solo bikes like the Iron. The thing is, I'm trading in my car and getting an Iron and my gf will ride with me from time to time, and we intend to take on short trips more often (100 mils), but long trips also (400 miles), from time to time.

So I'm looking for something that she'll feel safe in, maybe something that can easily be switched back and forth, and probably a sissy bar for her to feel more secure when riding and not feel like she's going to slide off the bike.

I'm from Brazil and options here are limited, unless I can manage to import seats and whatnot. I've taken a look at buttybuddy and it seems like an easy enough option for that, plus a sissybar.

Thoughts?

felipesimon 05-16-2012 03:22 PM

Yeah, I won't forget the foot pegs. Are you saying that long trips would not be a good idea? Wouldn't that depend on the comfort of the seats, among other variables?

barbs3131 05-16-2012 03:25 PM

The sundowner seat is a pretty comfortable one for two people, and like NRHS said, you will need to get the passenger peg mounts and pegs. Also, a sissy bar will help with your luggage options as well for your longer trips. If you search around eBay I am sure you will be able to find some steals!

felipesimon 05-16-2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by NRHS (Post 9809426)
The Iron is what is considered a "low" model. the suspension is very stiff due to the shocks being so short. this causes it to have quite a harsh ride especially for a passenger. If you really want to do this look for a seat that has Gel in both seats.

Thanks all for the advice so far.

I live in Brazil and initially, the Iron had a very stiff suspension as it was designed to ride in smoother roads than the ones we have here. I was talking to the salesman at the H-D store and he told me they changed that in the '12 model, and that there's also a shocks replacement that completely changes the bike, especially in my case. I'm thinking of investing on that in the future.

The sundowner looks like a good option for me, since I'm also having forward controls on mine (sadly the 48 model is not sold here, or I'd be getting that one).

My main doubt is: how easy is it to change from the original to the 2 up seat. Would it be practical to exchange those back and forth once a week on average?

grbrown 05-17-2012 06:48 AM

The version of Iron we get here in the UK has better ride height than the US models.

Comfort on a low riding bike like a Iron starts at ground level. The stock tyres are very stiff and ride quality can be improved with more compliant tyres like Avons. Next up are the shocks, which are bargain basement, not top drawer! Better quality shocks (not Harley) will significantly improve ride quality, as long as you don't try to keep the low look. Finally the seat is the cherry on the icing. Even a superior seat will only be as good as the tyres and shocks. On a new bike I suggest you look at shocks first.

On my SuperLow I have fitted longer rear shocks, with more travel, plus better fork springs and lifted the front around an inch. My bike is now a Super-not-so-Low! It doesn't ride much better than stock, but at least when it hits bumps I have more travel before it bottoms out.

Better still buy a different model of Sportster! I really feel for this poor woman you call your GF. Has she any clue what you are planning? Don't buy a bike until the two of you have ridden together. If you are buying new insist the dealer provides you with a demo bike with a dual seat.

And give your GF a hug from us - she is going to need it..... :icon_hug:

Rog48 05-17-2012 07:53 AM

Ive got the mustang seats. Ive taken the GF on a 200 mile day trip, at the end of the day she said she was starting to feel her ass but she wasnt sore. I can go from 1 up to 2 up in about 5 min which includes remounting the foot pegs and mounts.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-O...2/IMAG0282.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-n...2/IMAG0287.jpg

Raven10 05-17-2012 08:27 AM

Has anyone here ever gone from a solo spring saddle to a 2 up seat and is that difficult to go back and forth?

JasonDeal 05-17-2012 02:13 PM

hook her up with some speed skates and a tow rope...lol

but seriously the suspension is really stiff, hope you like giving massages

Certainteed 05-17-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by felipesimon (Post 9809883)
Thanks all for the advice so far.

I live in Brazil and initially, the Iron had a very stiff suspension as it was designed to ride in smoother roads than the ones we have here. I was talking to the salesman at the H-D store and he told me they changed that in the '12 model, and that there's also a shocks replacement that completely changes the bike, especially in my case. I'm thinking of investing on that in the future.

The sundowner looks like a good option for me, since I'm also having forward controls on mine (sadly the 48 model is not sold here, or I'd be getting that one).

My main doubt is: how easy is it to change from the original to the 2 up seat. Would it be practical to exchange those back and forth once a week on average?

if you're trading your car in for a harley, you really should consider a bigger bike. take a look at the decked-out 1200's, or a dyna. you'll be a lot happier.

grbrown 05-17-2012 03:01 PM

felipesimon, I've just checked the H-D Brasil website and like us here in the UK you get the 883R. Our North American friends don't get that model. That is the one to go for, with a Sundowner seat or similar. That is the most suitable Sporty for the two of you IMHO. Look after that lady of yours!