Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 sportster won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
BD INC.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1200 sportster won't start when hot

My bike's been at the dealership for over a week now & they claim they haven't been able to find the problem. I'm hoping one of the local experts on here may have experienced this problem & know the solution. It's killing me having my bike in the shop for this long.
I have a 2000 Sportster 1200 Custom. When cold the bike starts & runs perfectly, but once the bike is warmed up/hot it will not restart if I shut off the engine. I was having to wait 20-30 minutes after shut-off to get it to fire back up. So far, HD has replaced my plugs & plug wires, the coil, ignition module, petcock(?) . They tell me that they are following the HD flow chart to figure out the problem, and have now moved on to saying that it must be electrical.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
BD INC.
Novice

4200 miles on the bike in case it helps with an answer.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Hot start problems are often a symptom of too high compression. Any custom work done to the bike? Cams? Pistons? Headwork?

Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Thats usually the sign of a weak or bad coil.......

Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
BD INC.
Novice

to my knowledge there has been no work done to the cams, pistons, or the heads. HD claims that they replaced the coil and still have the same issue.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Or possibly a weak battery. Hot motors often take more power to turn over and the battery has to have enough power to both turn the starter and fire the plugs. I've seen bikes that would seem to crank the motor fine but not have enough additional power to adequately fire the plugs (weak spark).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
BD INC.
Novice

You'd think that HD would've checked the battery, but that could very well be the problem. I'm waiting on the service manager to call me back again, and when he does I will ask him if they have checked the battery.
I appreciate all of the responses greatly!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:22 PM
BD INC.
Novice

well, I didn't hear back from the service manager at AD Farrow Harley Davidson, so I tried calling them back but was put on hold for 10 minutes & then hung up on... I was really expecting better service from them. Can't say for sure whether they've checked the battery or not, but if anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Can anyone tell me if this could in any way be a carburetor problem?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BD INC.
well, I didn't hear back from the service manager at AD Farrow Harley Davidson, so I tried calling them back but was put on hold for 10 minutes & then hung up on... I was really expecting better service from them.
They've made a lot of changes recently, and I haven't heard very much good from them in the recent months. I've had a few guys come to me with simple problems that AD wouldn't even look at for weeks.

Where about are you located? I'm about 20 miles south of AD Farrow. I do a lot of work on bikes and I'd be willing to take a look at it if you ever get it back. Sportsters are a specialty of mine (seeing as I ride one daily).

Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
BD INC.
Novice

Scuba-I live in Pickerington, and my bike is currently at AD (Broad ST.). Honestly, I'd prefer to find someone to work on it rather than their shop, especially after this. I'm going to see what tomorow brings with them, and if they don't have a good answer for me tomorow, I'd like to try to hook up with you & have you take a gander at it. I'll keep this post updated if/when I hear anything, or I'll try to message you after I hear from them tomorow. Thanks again, Scuba!

Quick Reply: 1200 sportster won't start when hot