Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Anyone Regret Buying Teir Harley? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/776350-anyone-regret-buying-teir-harley.html)

GWinkleman 06-10-2012 07:33 PM

Seems like a troll post to me. What's the point of these statements/questions? I feel like TJ is trying to get us riled up.

Originally Posted by TJ Guin (Post 9921424)
It seems alot of the parts aren't American anymore and seem to be Made In China....Is the MOCO concerned about the bottom line more?...with Willie G. retired is the future of the American motorcycle dying?

AjaBra 06-10-2012 07:39 PM

Well, I've had my problems. Nothing too major (knock on wood). Here is the difference for me... I've worked on my friends' bikes (not HD) and my own. I've found that maintenance/repair on the HD easier than on other bikes I have owned and worked on. That is what really makes it for me.

dswansbiker 06-10-2012 07:44 PM

No regrets, and no problems in the last 20 years of Harley ownership.

Pensnut 06-10-2012 07:45 PM

No regrets here! I bought my first one about two months ago.

TJ Guin 06-10-2012 08:34 PM

This is my second Harley, i bought both of them new,the last one had recuring paint issues,minor electrical, nothing to bad. Decided to trade it for the Custom just because. But now, Iv'e been dealing with leaking shifter shaft (was in the shop 3 times in 2 months ) finally got that fixed right, speedo quit working a month ago, dealer had to replace ,and now last week out of nowhere while riding the transmission starts clattering like it was out of oil, pulled over and oil tank was full. I took off again and it started up again got home and parked it,next day went to check it out and I had an oil puddle under the left side of my bike. I pulled the battery cover off and it was covered in oil, I then pulled the seat off and then noticed oil all over the top of the oil tank and all over the wiring.Air filter didn't have any extra oil than the usual that gets in it through the vent bolts(stock breather). Later that day it started running just fine. So I drained the oil to see if there was anything clogging the tank, nothing could be seen. Then I put in new oil and a new oil filter and it seemed ok. Now every couple days it starts to clattering for a few minutes then settles down. When I park it the oil leak returns. Dealership has looked at it twice and can not find anything wrong.Oil pump seems to be working fine.What gives? Did I somehow buy the only Sportster to ever be a Turd or what? Seems like it.

12limited 06-10-2012 08:40 PM

Well, I do think they have some quality control issues on some areas. They could tighten up some tolerances on the engines and other areas. I think they could do lot better with quality and tighten up some of thier dealers that think they are Gods gift here on earth. You know there are some real A$$ holes running some dealerships. But they have some really good ones too. My dealer has been great, 245 miles away from my home.
I been riding a pretty good while and this bike has had more troubles than any I ever owned before. My dealer has been great to resolve them, one was very major.
Do I regret buying it...I do not think so.
It is pretty comfortable, handles great, and feels at home on the interstates as well as the 2 lane back roads. Looks good and has a ton of accessories availble from both aftermarket and HD.
One major factor is they have the largest dealer/service network for motorcycles in the world.
I think they are relying a little to heavy on the loyal HD followers or brand reconition alone to keep them in business. I know some folks that will buy one if they have to put oil in it everyday, just because of the name on the tank. I am not that material, and can only tolerate so much from a machine.

Some of the metrics have some pretty good quality in them, but if you need some service, as simple as a tire replacement on a trip...you are just about screwed. One thing with a metric, you only need metric tools to work on it, not both sae and metric.
Some of the metic/european touring bikes now are exceeding the HD in purchase price, so it is not price that pushes folks away from HD.

What pisses me off...my son has a Yamaha Raider, 113 CI V Twin push rod engine. You do not hear the valve train, clicking or rattling nor does it sound like you broke a glass rod when you shift it either. Good looking bike, uncomfortable as hell to me. That SOB will jerk your arms off and get out from under you if you are not careful. Never been back to the dealer for nothing. I am glad he is not having trouble. He constantly remindes me of this, since mine has been back a few times for some issues.

Willie G retiring in my opinion, I do not think it is gonna make much difference. He was a good ambassador for the company but it may be a good thing for the MOCO. We might get some colors on these bikes that is more appealing to the public than before. I am not sure but heard he selected the colors for the bikes since he was an artist.
These Yellow/Charcoal - Orange/charcoal Screamin Eagle bikes definitely kept me away from them, not even a second look. Two tone orange come on now. Look at the colors that sell on the cages. Get rid of all the pin strips...let me put them on if I want them. Do they sell cages with pin strips all over them? Give me the option to delete them.
What would really be cool, is let us order the colors(with some limitations) that we want like they do for the automotive industry. They would not entertain that before I bought mine.

All brands of bikes have their little querks, some you can live with and some you may not be able to. You can get a bad apple of any brand.

pococj 06-10-2012 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by TJ Guin (Post 9921998)
This is my second Harley, i bought both of them new,the last one had recuring paint issues,minor electrical, nothing to bad. Decided to trade it for the Custom just because. But now, Iv'e been dealing with leaking shifter shaft (was in the shop 3 times in 2 months ) finally got that fixed right, speedo quit working a month ago, dealer had to replace ,and now last week out of nowhere while riding the transmission starts clattering like it was out of oil, pulled over and oil tank was full. I took off again and it started up again got home and parked it,next day went to check it out and I had an oil puddle under the left side of my bike. I pulled the battery cover off and it was covered in oil, I then pulled the seat off and then noticed oil all over the top of the oil tank and all over the wiring.Air filter didn't have any extra oil than the usual that gets in it through the vent bolts(stock breather). Later that day it started running just fine. So I drained the oil to see if there was anything clogging the tank, nothing could be seen. Then I put in new oil and a new oil filter and it seemed ok. Now every couple days it starts to clattering for a few minutes then settles down. When I park it the oil leak returns. Dealership has looked at it twice and can not find anything wrong.Oil pump seems to be working fine.What gives? Did I somehow buy the only Sportster to ever be a Turd or what? Seems like it.

First off, your oil tank & pump have absolutely nothing to do with the transmission. Tranny/primary oil is separate from the engine oil, and doesn't vent to the air cleaner, either. Clean the bike, ride 'til it clatters, immediately pull over, and locate the source of the leak. If you told your dealer you heard the tranny get noisy and you checked the tank, and they didn't explain how a Sporty oil system works, I'd go shopping for another mechanic.

Knights2TheEnd 06-10-2012 08:51 PM

I do, for many reasons

The thing I love about harleys are the sound, thats the biggest reason why I got one. AND some look really cool

I had a honda crf150 (dirtbike), and I beat that thing, I throttled the crap out of it and I always got perfect shifts, always(just lightly tap it and thats it), no matter if I was going super slow or fast, I could be going 40mph and shift all the way down to first while holding the clutch without the transmission making a noise, it was smooth as butter, you sometimes would no hear or even feel it go in cuz it was so smooth.....

First thing i noticed on a harley were BIG BUTT clicks, you CANT shift down to neutral from 3rd and up (which i liked doing down roads to save gas) cuz it makes this grinding sound that would scare anyone who doesnt ride a harley. I shift at like 2k rpms just so i get smooth shifts, I have not rode on the highway but idk how you feel relaxed holding the throttle half way back in 5th just to go 70mph..thats pathetic...

Next, changing oil is also another pathetic design by harley, when you draing your oil, your only draining 3/4 of it or less cuz the hose drain starts from the damn oil tank, the rest is in your engine! the shitty oil that you wanna change in the first place. also only 1qaurt for trans fluid? thats nothing, my crf150 held 2 i believe. 1050cc difference... There are many other reasons but those are the biggest... Harleys true newest bike was back then cuz its still the old shitty design in the 2012 bikes. Next bike I am getting might be a crotch rocket, they look fun. Or it might be a cruiser but it sure isnt going to be a harley. A damn ninja 250 is as fast as our sportsters, that 1200 is barely reaching the rear wheel.

BUT, harleys sound is unmatchable and so is the community so I dont 100% regret it, I like cursing and looking at other harleys. But my next bike deff isnt going to be a harley, thats all. Right now im enjoying what my harley has to offer

Van/TX 06-10-2012 08:55 PM

Never thought I'd ever buy a Harley. What a piece of junk I always thought. Have ridden Japs bikes for a long time. Bought a Harley about 6 months ago. I won't even get into the reason I bought it. Doesn't matter. Anyway my initial feeling was, "I've made a big mistake" even though I love the way it looks. I wasn't prepared for the user unfriendlyness and what I thought was a harsh ride. After about a 1000 miles something started changing. It started feeling good. It started sounding good. It started handling good. Another 2000 miles and I was in love with riding a bike again. Still can't believe it and can't explain it. Love this bike. I ride everyday weather permitting:icon_exclaim:

sajackson 06-10-2012 08:57 PM

No regrets here. In fact, my Sporty is one of the very few things I have purchased that I can honestly say that I've never had a single thought of "buyers remorse" about. I've only ever regretted not getting one sooner.

I'm sorry you have had trouble.