Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another issue with my sporty no spark...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 AM
nunez8853
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another issue with my sporty no spark...

as always its an 02. ok so let me give some background info. I took the tank and fender to go get paited over 2 months ago so in that time I decided to do a wire tuck, take out all those bulky connectors, and take out my speedometer. also relocate my key switch under my seat. as time progressed everything was fine, I finely got all my stuff back today and put everything back together when a few problems arose. A busted overflow line from my tank. then my signels wouldnt work I discvered that my leaver was broken so my tail light was always on as if it was braking constantly the tail light turn flashers and over flow line I all fixed but now I cant get the SOB to fire up, It turns over but im not getting any spark from my plugs I retraced all my lines and everything is wired correctly but no dice. at first i though it was cause i flooded my cylinders but I dried out and still nothing. Now im stuck. ANY IDEAS everything works i just cant get the damn thing to spark. any and all feed back is welcomed

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

mind you my coil was working fine when i took everything apart, and i also noticed some oil on the threads of my plug

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 AM
Billy...
Cruiser

Do you have the factory service manual? There's a bunch of tests you can do to narrow down the problem. You'll need a meter and a charged battery on the bike.

You'll need to work one by one through each of the components of the ignition system to check that they're working properly not just look at the wiring to see that its connected OK.

I would guess if you've changed a whole bunch of wiring you've messed something up along the way rather than a component failing.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 AM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull out your service manual. Take the wiring diagram out and have it laminated. Disconnect all the wires. Starting with your ignition system wires, trace them out and connect them. Then move on to the next "set" of wires till you got it all back together. Mine was a bitch cause all the wires were not factory color coded. You only need two tools: ground tester and continuity tester.

I would start looking first at your ignition switch. I agree, I doubt a component just failed, something is amis with the wiring. Do the tests as mentioned above per your service manual, I bet you'll find the "hardware" to be o.k.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Last edited by marine_hm@hotmail.com; 06-18-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are the wires hooked up to the coil? They are known to loosen up and come off easy.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

ok now that its established that I need a manual, where can I get one. HD never freakin has them, evidently they are on back order for the last 3 months. and on the never the only one I can find are the parts book. how good are the han and sel manuals? Also I feel like such a douche asking but could one of you dudes throw me a bone this one time with a link or a copy of the wiring Ebook perhaps?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

ok i narrowed it down to 3 connectors not pluged one came from the speedo, nothing to do with ignition, second one came form the speedo(the one that reads the speed) then there is this other 3 prong connector on the frame in the middle of the tank above the engine with a white w/ black strip, green, and black. that one is disconnected and in the mix of things i cannot find where to hook it back up I know that need to be conneted to something

Old 06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

I cant seem to find where it go's i got my hands on a wiring diagram says it goes to the solenoid but i cant find either of the of them. what do you guys think

Attached Thumbnails yet another issue with my sporty no spark...-plug.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM
nunez8853
Advanced

all my other elecric works lights turns everything, just no freaking spark

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Billy...
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nunez8853
I cant seem to find where it go's i got my hands on a wiring diagram says it goes to the solenoid but i cant find either of the of them. what do you guys think
In your picture it looks like the connector is just behind the plug down lower under the tank. There's a bunch of wiring used to get sparks, crank sensor, O2 sensors if it's EFI, computer, VOES, ignition, condenser / coil, HT leads. It's difficult to narrow down from a picture.

Not sure where you could pick up a manual but last time I browsed on fleabay for a service manual there seemed to be plenty around. I've used the Clymer manuals. They're an ok substitute but the factory manual is more ideal.

Also a meter would be useful for tracking down electrical issues. As marine hm says, ground and continuity testing will do a lot.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Quick Reply: yet another issue with my sporty no spark...