Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i just got a sportster WHY does every harley owner tell me your gonna want bigger

Old 08-04-2012, 05:42 PM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default so i just got a sportster WHY does every harley owner tell me your gonna want bigger

this is my first harley and every harley owner i know always say something like "your gonna ride it for a year and want a bigger one"

even the sales manager said after i signed all the papers and CAME BACK NEXT DAY said

"how u like bike?"
"love it!"
"awesome in a year or so your probably going to want a bigger one thats how it usually goes"

next door niegbor today saw me pull up in my new harley says

"yeah sportsters are great!!, you can feel out if you like harleys then upgrade to a bigger one"

i dont get it? i came from a sportbike and find the size just right, im not into big harleys YET maybe this magical year i will be into big harleys? but i find the size right, by bigger do they mean engine? becuase the 1200 isnt so bad and it might be faster than the bigger harleys do to its weight

Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 PM
gant
Road Master

i mean none of them are saying YOU should of got a dyna, but there giving me the vibe like a sportster is just for starters and then just get rid of them in a year

Old 08-04-2012, 05:50 PM
SkeletonMagoo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sportsters are not starter bikes, some people just feel the need to buy one to get the feel before stepping up. If you like the bike and thats all you need it doesnt matter what anyone else tells you.

It sounds like you have been riding a while, if you wanted a cruiser or touring bike (when you were purchasing) you would have gotten one to begin with. That may or may not change. I know a guy with 3 sportsters, that is just what he is into.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
bobby0u812
6th Gear

I was told the same thing . Didn't buy the sportster. Got a Heritage Classic instead. I think they were right. Went to Daytona last two years and rode over 1,200 miles that week. Rode so smooth ,I never felt like I had been on a motorcycle for that long.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Your first lesson on the Sportster should be to ride your own ride and not listen to other people. Post some pictures of your new bike when you get enough posts.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
gant
Road Master

Originally Posted by SkeletonMagoo
Sportsters are not starter bikes, some people just feel the need to buy one to get the feel before stepping up. If you like the bike and thats all you need it doesnt matter what anyone else tells you.

It sounds like you have been riding a while, if you wanted a cruiser or touring bike (when you were purchasing) you would have gotten one to begin with. That may or may not change. I know a guy with 3 sportsters, that is just what he is into.

yeah totally agree with you, i been riding for 10 years nothing but sport bikes, when it came time to looking at a harley i loved the old school look and size of the harley nightster, while the bigger bikes do look just as good the nightster was a better choice for me because here in california we can split lanes and i split lanes today and didnt feel any bigger than my old r1

Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM
gant
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ron750
Your first lesson on the Sportster should be to ride your own ride and not listen to other people. Post some pictures of your new bike when you get enough posts.

i already made a thread in this section with pictures , here they are

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vallejo707/7708668476/http://www.flickr.com/photos/vallejo707/7708668476/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/vallejo707/, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vallejo707/7708667566/http://www.flickr.com/photos/vallejo707/7708667566/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/vallejo707/, on Flickr

Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

It's called marketing that's why a lot of 96" bikes will be traded in for the 103" a lot of harley owners remind me of the in crowd want to be cool kids back in high school blindly fallowing the next newest trend.

Last edited by SeeMeDo; 08-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I've had my nightster for 2 & half years and it's had two make overs. Many of the guys here have had theirs for longer. I spoke to the previous owner today and he couldn't believe it's the same bike. Looked like he wanted to buy it off me I roll my eyes when people brag to me that they've gone from their sporties to a Dyna to softail. My bike is my work of art and wouldn't trade it for the world. Also my dad and I have wrenched on it for hours so when he passes away I'll have all those memories. Some of us just love our sporties. Whenever I go to the stealer I stand and look at the sporties, the low 48s the awesome paint on the 72s and so on. Good times

Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM
SkeletonMagoo
Novice

Sick scoot man, enjoy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: so i just got a sportster WHY does every harley owner tell me your gonna want bigger