Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   DK Customs Thunder Torque Inserts Review (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/799852-dk-customs-thunder-torque-inserts-review.html)

DK Custom Products 04-04-2013 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muskie46 (Post 11119735)
So, i installed the D&K Thunder Torque inserts yesterday (the W118's) and Holy Shit! The 2 1/2" Cycle Shack slash cuts sounded "OK" before the inserts (a lot better then stock) but once i threw the inserts in, they were like completely different pipes out to kill someone. With the cone facing the end of the pipe, i have a deeper rumble and it is loud. Up here in northern wisconsin, deer are around every corner, so loud pipes really do save lives. If your on the fence about theses inserts, do it. D&K has a great product here.

Hey! Thanks for the awesome review!!! Those little things really are awesome. Its amazing to me how one little thing can drastically change the sound of the bike. Plus, the little extra umph doesn't hurt either.... :)

iwantmybeerbackplease 04-04-2013 02:14 PM

Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the OP need a free flowing a/c to feel the real improvement that the Thunder Torque inserts make? Seems like the factory lean condition should be addressed before feeling much of a torque improvement?

-Beer

Muskie46 04-04-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease (Post 11121021)
Pardon my ignorance but wouldn't the OP need a free flowing a/c to feel the real improvement that the Thunder Torque inserts make? Seems like the factory lean condition should be addressed before feeling much of a torque improvement?

-Beer

I wasnt able to get on the bike yet to see how much of a difference was made torque wise, but they improved sound and tune quite a bit which to me is worth the $30 alone.

DK Custom Products 04-04-2013 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by iwantmybeerbackplease (Post 11121021)

-Beer

You will feel an improvement in low and mid range torque with the TTI's in the exhaust, even with the stock air cleaner. This is because it increases the exhaust gas velocity.

With a HiFlow A/C, you will feel an even better improvement.
But the TTI's make the exhuast work more efficiently regardless of the A/C.

JayPMack 04-05-2013 11:40 AM

So, if you install them in the stock exhaust w/o baffles, then you will need to drill a hole in the slip-on? Will a standard drill get through the slip-on, or do you need something a little more powerful?

DK Custom 04-05-2013 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JayPMack (Post 11124703)
So, if you install them in the stock exhaust w/o baffles, then you will need to drill a hole in the slip-on? Will a standard drill get through the slip-on, or do you need something a little more powerful?

Yes, you will need to drill a hole for the TTI. A standard hand held drill has no problem drilling thru them.

Here's a video that may be helpful to you-

JayPMack 04-05-2013 12:24 PM

Yes, you will need to drill a hole for the TTI. A standard hand held drill has no problem drilling thru them.

Here's a video that may be helpful to you-

Converting Stock Harley Exhaust Slip-ons - YouTube

Thanks Kevin, I already watched the video, but it doesn't show any actual installation of the TTI's, hence the question. But if a basic cordless drill can get through, then I think I got it from there. Will be ordering some very soon.

Mac10 04-05-2013 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by JayPMack (Post 11124827)
Converting Stock Harley Exhaust Slip-ons - YouTube

Thanks Kevin, I already watched the video, but it doesn't show any actual installation of the TTI's, hence the question. But if a basic cordless drill can get through, then I think I got it from there. Will be ordering some very soon.

I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.

JayPMack 04-05-2013 05:28 PM

I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.Thanks for the tip Mac10

Mac10 04-05-2013 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JayPMack (Post 11125928)
I used a handheld drill to open up the hole on the slip on. Except a used a bevel bit which is a cone shaped bit. But you can use a 5/16 bit to open her up. It's only a hair off.

Thanks for the tip Mac10

No prob. It's an easy install and you'll be happy with the results.