Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Iron 883: Eames Edition (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/816771-iron-883-eames-edition.html)

beau_cauchemar 10-18-2012 03:11 PM

Thanks for the compliments and feedback you guys! I'm glad many of you dig it.

I didn't elect to do the pipes wrapped or in black due to wanting them to stand out for the sake of some visual contrast. This bike is already black enough and unless I was going for all-or-nothing-black-everything (which would have defeated the purpose of the bike being different anyway) I need some contrast. The Scotch Brite was to make a flat metal finish that would compliment the bike's flat paint. I'll probably even Scotch Brite the push rods as well at some point just to be consistent. Besides the brushed steel look really adds a high-brow finish that should stand out. And considering the nice lines of the exhaust emphasizing forward motion it really helps add some beautiful aggression that is otherwise blended away in favor of an overly uninspired, all-black look.

I've thought about using wood elsewhere on the bike but I felt than anywhere else might approach being tacky or overdone. Wood is already an uncommon material to have on a bike so I didn't want to push it. I also only wanted to use surfaces that could very well be made out of real wood without looking unnatural and the slightly curved side panels fit this criteria. I used the approach that good design happens not when there is nothing left to add but rather when there's nothing left to take away. Basically I only wanted to make changes that looked as though it might have come from an exclusive-level factory rather than put together in a driveway.

And don't get me wrong this bike gets ridden hard. I've only had it since March of this year and already have nearly 12k miles.

Livia329 10-18-2012 04:12 PM

I admire your creativity with this one!

Sensei Jim 10-18-2012 05:47 PM

Nice.

NicoBomber 10-18-2012 06:38 PM

I dig the bike but anyone who will pay $4000+ for a chair is a sucker.

beau_cauchemar 10-18-2012 07:01 PM

You can't put a price on an icon of design that looks as great now as it did in 1956 and is permanently featured in the Museum of Modern Art. This is a timeless future heirloom that is well worth the money spent. Enjoy your Rooms-To-Go living room...

squirrelrequiem 10-19-2012 07:07 AM

Hey, I'm sitting on one reading this!

aqcr_28 10-19-2012 07:47 AM

the ride looks pretty solid dude...

since the chair was the inspiration behind the mods, maybe look into an RSD A/C to replace the stock one.... they have ones that are similar to the design of the chair legs...

beau_cauchemar 10-19-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by squirrelrequiem (Post 10459731)
Hey, I'm sitting on one reading this!

Nice! Can't say I was surprised seeing that it was someone from the design-conscious UK. :)

Originally Posted by aqcr_28 (Post 10459816)
the ride looks pretty solid dude...

since the chair was the inspiration behind the mods, maybe look into an RSD A/C to replace the stock one.... they have ones that are similar to the design of the chair legs...

Good call! I'm a bit broke right now but that's a great suggestion from a keen eye.

And speaking of keen eyes I happen to notice that the front slip-on had something sticking out only to discover that my baffle screw went on a holiday. Guess I'll be heading over to the hardware store now... (For the record I love these slip-ons. Miles better performance-wise than the baffle-less stockers I was running with lollipops before these. And the sound is excellent, too.)

beau_cauchemar 10-19-2012 04:39 PM

So I was coming back from picking up the bolt that I needed for the baffle and low and behold after making a U-turn on the way home I noticed my exhaust tone was slightly lower all of a sudden. Pulled over only to realize that my baffle had fallen out. :/ A car even stopped behind me and yelled that it was by the curb a little ways back.

After playing a quick game of real-life Frogger I'm glad to say that I won't have to order a new one and will be damn sure these things are screwed in tight this time.

For your health!

NicoBomber 10-19-2012 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by beau_cauchemar (Post 10458447)
You can't put a price on an icon of design that looks as great now as it did in 1956 and is permanently featured in the Museum of Modern Art. This is a timeless future heirloom that is well worth the money spent. Enjoy your Rooms-To-Go living room...

Art or not, you can avoid a "room-to-go" look and not drop 4 grand on a single piece. In fact I thought was the true benefit of possessing taste and an eye for design - forgoing having to pay for style. People w/o these assume it has to come with a big price tag. People with it know it doesn't and know where to look and how to make a room look good on the cheap. Anyway, not about to take a photo of my rooms to prove my design or taste credibility to a stranger. I stand by my claim that those chairs are overpriced and overrated, as with most pieces geared toward the rich - yes, even if deemed art by big institutions, you still just paid 4 grand for a chair . . .a chair that 90% of rich people will have in their home already. It's not unique, and if anything just illustrates to those in the know that you thought you could buy style/are a generic rich asshole. haha