Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plasti-dip front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:49 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Default plasti-dip front end

Im working on finalizing my black out plans, and the last step seems to be the front end. (this is an older pic, just a reference for the forks/trees)

now since its a Roadster its a bit harder. Dual brakes, calipers, ect.
I just swapped over to black directionals and brackets for the front too, so they kinda look out of place now..
But what I was thinking was plasti-dip-ing it. figured I could mask off the wheel and rest of the bike, pull off risers, then spray the trees, and forks, without too much issue.
questions I have:
Would it be worth while to remove the stem / trees from the bike first? I have never messed with it, so Id rather not.
Same question with the wheel. Feel like it hard for a novice with no specialty tools to remove and reinstall the wheel. Id be afraid of f-ing up the bearings.
Plasti-dip vs Paint: I figure since its 'removable' and can be 'built up' with additional layers itll stay better looking longer. No one seems to be complaining about the durability of it.

Last edited by slvrscoobie; 02-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:01 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I have dipped the entire front end-everything, without taking off anything up front, except my front fender.
Take you time masking....cover the tire and wheel, frame, etc, real good and spray away.
Make sure you get 2-3 bottles and spray from all angles. Top, bottom, left, right, back and front.
Wait a while then repeat, then one more time.
You can even do levers, but need to use bed liner to handle the constant pulling from your hands-which peels off the plasti dip. Bed liner holds strong.

The following users liked this post:
slvrscoobie (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:15 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

I got the black handles, so its just the trees ect. thanks. Figure I could do this when NJ warms up enough it'll actually dry hah
then Ill be Done!!
*not*

Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM
ksummers
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just take the front end off and have it powder coated. I did it this winter, no specialty tools needed. The powder coat will look way better and last way longer than plastidip.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Russty__
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Friends don't let friends Plastidip!

Id 3M Wrap everything you want black.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM
slvrscoobie
Road Master

Originally Posted by ksummers
Just take the front end off and have it powder coated. I did it this winter, no specialty tools needed. The powder coat will look way better and last way longer than plastidip.
But I need to take apart the forks and springs, adds a lot of complexity to it or I would have done it with the other parts I just coated.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:53 PM
shaunwerkz
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about doing this as well. I'd like to see how it comes out.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:45 PM
ksummers
Cruiser

Its not that complex, i just read the manual and watch some YouTube videos a few times to get comfortable doing it. My front end was covered in plastidip when i bought it and it looked like ****. I was so much happier with the powder coat and i know that it wont rub or peel off like plastidip will.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:46 PM
ksummers
Cruiser

Plastidip just looks so cheap.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 AM
RoyP
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

plasti dip isn't near as durable as powder coat but it's easily reversible if you later decided to go back to the original look. peels right off.

Quick Reply: plasti-dip front end