Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a 72

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 72

Hello everyone. I used to frequent these forums quite often when I owned my 883 from 2008-2011. I have the itch to ride again and I am looking for another bike, but with more oomph than my previous 883. I loved the narrow frame of the 883 so I think I have decided I want to stick with the Sportster. I have always eyed the Nightster as it just has that down and dirty look to me that I love. The 72 has recently caught my attention as well, with that classic bobber look. These are obviously two completely different bikes and if money weren't an issue, I would probably own both! I am thinking the 1200 will be enough power for my 6' 1" 160lb self to have some fun with, right?

I have been searching the classifieds and have come across a few lookers that I would like to share with you for some comments and input...

First up is a 2008 Nightster with 2000 miles for $7000:

"2008 harley davidson sportster Nightster 1200N. the bike is in perfect condition only 2000 miles. extras include rush exhaust, burly bars 14'' apes, detachable wind shield, detachable lunch rack. 7000 obo." I have yet to contact this person.

Second is 2012 72 with 3300 miles for $8500:

"Selling my 2012 sportster 72 tons of extras on it. Vance and Hines short shot Pipes, screaming eagle heavy breather air intake, 14 inch apes with all chrome controls And grips. Also has forward controls, aftermarket pegs, custom seat, headlight basil And smoked blinkers with basil. Tons more accessories too much to list. Beautiful bike with 3300 miles. A must see 8500 or best offer thanks " I have inquired about the bars and was told they were just a cheap pair the guy's uncle picked up for him. They look like Burly Gorillas to me but I am no expert on bars.

Next is a 2013 72 with unknown miles for $11000:

"I have a 2013 Harley davidson that i bought new and road it for one summer. Im not sure how many miles are on it i have to look at it. It has new vance and hines pipes, new intake, after that was put on it was brought to harley to get remapped. I got injured and will not ride ever again. The price is 11,000 i am neg but its like a new bike. i have started it and made sure it was well kept for. (the spot on the gas tank was just my hand its not stained)"

Last is another 2013 72 with 24 miles for $9999:

"Brand new! 24 miles! THINK SPRING, now is the time to buy. Black denim and chrome. Title in hand." Basically a used bike, brought home off the lot. I have yet to hear back from this person.

I think I am learning towards the first flat black 72, the one for $11000. The V&H big radius pipes look awesome, the intake looks clean, and it was remapped by Harley (does this mean it was dyno tuned? Is this a positive or negative vs. getting the fuel pak or powercommander?)

Any comments are welcome. Again, I loved the size of my 883, just wished it was faster and maybe a little lower, which I think the 72 inherently is? I really want that big Harley sound, the 883 didn't really give it, but I have a feeling the 1200 will. Of course it will not be like the 103 cu in bikes though. ...Thanks!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 PM
MoBillyAla
Tourer

Received 116 Likes on 63 Posts
Default black 2013

If money isn't the deciding factor, and everything is advertised correctly I think the black 2013 is the best deal. Also try to talk him down starting at $8500. I say this because it is basically brand new, and you don't have to undo someone else's "upgrades" that you don't like... The 72 is a great bike and with the right touches to fit your riding style I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

*Edited as I wanted to clarify I meant the Black 2013 with 24 miles with asking price of $9999.

The Big Blue Pearl paint is amazing esp in sunlight, but me personally I don't see too many of the current owners "upgrades" as something I would keep. So just like a trade in at a dealer they would add zero to the deal. It all depends on the OP and what they want on their bike. Either way I guess its a moot point since none of the other sellers will contact him back.

Last edited by MoBillyAla; 04-15-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

The best deal imo is the Blue 2012 one. Looks the best, has all the right stuff on it, and probably will sell for $8k or close to it. Much cheaper with low miles. Why pay 3k more?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
The best deal imo is the Blue 2012 one. Looks the best, has all the right stuff on it, and probably will sell for $8k or close to it. Much cheaper with low miles. Why pay 3k more?
Have to agree with OddJack. $8500 OBO means the price is negotiable.
You can find leftover 2014 OTD with full warranty for the price of the 2013.

Last edited by Guzzi; 04-13-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blue 2012 is probably the best overall value factoring miles and mods, you could probably snag it for $8,000 if the seller is motivated. I love my Seventy Two, can't go wron with any of them. Good luck and let us know which one you pick up.

Last edited by partlowr; 04-13-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:08 PM
LunaticFringe
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the blue 2012 has some real money in it, that's a $450 air cleaner on there. easily another $600 in the bars & chrome hand controls, if the master cylinder is chrome, that's another $400. plus I'm not really a fan of demin black, especially on the 72. but the 72 will fit you better, escpecially with the apes.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:17 AM
ripto
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. I was liking the blue one but I'm not sure if I like the apes he has on it. They seem really wide for the Sportster frame. They look like Burly Gorillas which are better suited for bigger bikes imo. I may see it in person this weekend. That seller is also the only one actively replying to my emails.

I love the flat black demin on the others though. I will have to see how this all plays out. I know I would do intake/exhaust/remap, so that is something to consider on the ones that already have those.

Questions:
1. How tall are the standard 72 mini-apes?
2. Is there a difference between have the bike dyno'd and when someone says they had the computer remapped by Harley? Are the fuel pak and powercommander just canned tunes?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't let the bars be the deciding factor. The owner just may have the original set laying around. If not, bars are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 AM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripto
Thanks for the replies. I was liking the blue one but I'm not sure if I like the apes he has on it. They seem really wide for the Sportster frame. They look like Burly Gorillas which are better suited for bigger bikes imo. I may see it in person this weekend. That seller is also the only one actively replying to my emails.

I love the flat black demin on the others though. I will have to see how this all plays out. I know I would do intake/exhaust/remap, so that is something to consider on the ones that already have those.

Questions:
1. How tall are the standard 72 mini-apes?
2. Is there a difference between have the bike dyno'd and when someone says they had the computer remapped by Harley? Are the fuel pak and powercommander just canned tunes?
The stock mini apes are 10 inches.

Fuelpaks are not canned tunes, Vance and Hines sends you specific mapping codes for whatever type and combination of modifications you have.

There is really no need to have a bike dyno tuned these days if you are using a Powercommander or Fuelpak, all you need to do is go to the Fuelpak website or contact technical support tell them the exact combination of modifications you have, brand and model pipes, baffles/no baffles, type of air cleaner etc. and they will e-mail you the exact mapping setting for your bike and those mods, they have already done all the work. A friend of mine got conned into a dyno tune by the dealer I did put the mapping on his bike that Vance and Hines sent me last spring, over the winter he brought his bike in for winter storage and they sold him on a "tune up" and dyno tune. they charged him over $200 for the dyno tune and the bike only ended up making 2 extra hp and 3ft lbs LESS torque....sorry but 2hp and less torque is not worth $200-$250 and for all we know the difference could have just been barometric pressure and temps. All that really tells me is that the dealership tuned it for peak hp and paid no attention to the overall curve. I will take a nice curve with steady power all the way up over a peaky bike any day of the week

Carb jetting used to mean big bucks for Harley service departments but now days people can do it themselves with Fuelpaks and similar mapping devices, the dealers service departments are losing out and trying to push the dyno tuning garbage. Don't get me wrong there is a time and place for dyno tuning, like if you change your heads, cams, pistons or do other internal motor work, but there is simply no need for dyno tuning/testing for simple bolt-on intake and exhaust mods.

Last edited by partlowr; 04-14-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM
ripto
Road Master

Thanks for that info, I see I was wrong about the fuelpak and PC. Things have come a long way in the short 4 years I have been away from motorcycles. I know if I were to get a new bike, I would be doing intake/exhaust/remap at a minimum. It sounds like this would cost around $1000. I may see if the 24 mile 72 is available and could come down to be near the cost of the blue 72. I think I just like the flat black better, but I will need to wait and see the blue one in person with the 14" apes. I will keep everyone updated.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a 72