Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini-apes on 07 XL1200L

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Mini-apes on 07 XL1200L

Hi everybody,

Has anyone of you installed mini apes on your sportster? I am referring to this ones: www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184680 3&default=none.

I was wondering how much taller they are compared to the stock bar on my 07 XL1200 Low. I am attaching a pic of my current handlebar.

Also, when someone refers to, say, 12" apes, what does the 12" refer to, the height or the width of the bar?

I'm not very knowledgeable on these so ,thanks for your expertise on the matter!

Attached Thumbnails Mini-apes on 07 XL1200L-handlebar.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a referral to the heigth

Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

If you want to see what 10" apes look like on a Sportster, check out the picks in the "72" thread. Those bikes come stock with 10" apes.

I've been seriously considering going that route if I can get rid of that butt ugly handlebar riser and NOT have to replace any cables.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
Hi everybody,

Has anyone of you installed mini apes on your sportster? I am referring to this ones: www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444184680 3&default=none.

I was wondering how much taller they are compared to the stock bar on my 07 XL1200 Low. I am attaching a pic of my current handlebar.

Also, when someone refers to, say, 12" apes, what does the 12" refer to, the height or the width of the bar?

I'm not very knowledgeable on these so ,thanks for your expertise on the matter!
I have these mini-apes on my Sporty Low, but in black. They are quite a bit higher than the stock bars. I added 2.5" riser extensions to make them even higher.

As nc883 said, refers to the height.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Thanx for all the info. I took a look at the 72s thread and yeah their stock handlebars look great. That might be what I need.

Kevin, do you know what height are your mini apes? Other than being taller, do they reach back more? I am wanting to get rid of my stock handlebar because although I like its height (I am short) I find that I am reaching forward to grab the handles. On long trips my shoulders go all stiff and hurt.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Thanx for all the info. I took a look at the 72s thread and yeah their stock handlebars look great. That might be what I need.

Kevin, do you know what height are your mini apes? Other than being taller, do they reach back more? I am wanting to get rid of my stock handlebar because although I like its height (I am short) I find that I am reaching forward to grab the handles. On long trips my shoulders go all stiff and hurt.

Thanks!
Best I can measure they are about 9". They are about 4" taller than your stock bars. And since they come off the trees angled back, that will put them closer to you, even if you keep them at the same angle. You can also rotate/adjust them back toward you further.

They weren't quite right for me, which is why I used the 2.5" riser extensions.
This is the way that has always worked for me to get the most comfortable handlebar position-
  • Sit on your bike
  • Have someone hold it up straight for you
  • Put your feet on the pegs
  • Close your eyes
  • Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
  • Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:53 PM
ev0lution7
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put 12in mini apes on my 1200C I converted it to the "iron" or "regular" riser.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 AM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
  • Sit on your bike
  • Have someone hold it up straight for you
  • Put your feet on the pegs
  • Close your eyes
  • Put your hands out to where it is most comfortable to hold them
  • Open your eyes...where ever your hands are, that is where you want the handlebar grips to be.
I know, I read your instructions from a previous post of yours Earlier today, even the dealership wasn't sure what was the official length of these mini apes. Did you have to buy longer cables?

Originally Posted by ev0lution7
I put 12in mini apes on my 1200C I converted it to the "iron" or "regular" riser.
Cool, now if I could only decide whether to get 10 or 12, I'd be good to go. Did you have to buy longer cables?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I know, I read your instructions from a previous post of yours Earlier today, even the dealership wasn't sure what was the official length of these mini apes. Did you have to buy longer cables?

Cool, now if I could only decide whether to get 10 or 12, I'd be good to go. Did you have to buy longer cables?

Stock wires are long enough, throttle cables are long enough, but you may need to re-route them, clutch cable is long enough, but you may need to re-route it, front brake line is border line, probably should get a new one, that is what I did, although a lot of guys just bend them a little to get the extra length needed.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Stock wires are long enough, throttle cables are long enough, but you may need to re-route them, clutch cable is long enough, but you may need to re-route it, front brake line is border line, probably should get a new one, that is what I did, although a lot of guys just bend them a little to get the extra length needed.
Thanks for the valuable info! The dealer is telling me I need to get all new cables because the cables are specific to handlebars. What a crock...

Quick Reply: Mini-apes on 07 XL1200L