Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low idle, bad TPS, bad O2 sensor, or bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle, bad TPS, bad O2 sensor, or bad...

Alright, here's my problem. I have an '07 883R with stock pipes and the S.E. air cleaner and the idle on the bike is very low. Not all the time, which is freakin' frustrating as F@*k!, but its getting worse and worse. I have done some research on this wonderful forum and have come to the conclusion that it could be a bad throttle position sensor (TPS) a bad crank position sensor (CPS) or that my Oxygen sensors could have gone south. (oh yeah, O2 sensors). I do have two codes that come up on the speedo diag display-whoever figured that out, genius! P0132 and P0152 which translates to Front O2 sensor High and Rear O2 sensor High, right? Also, I'm getting terrible gas mileage and when I first turn on the bike in the morning it smells like exhaust. I mean, I know this is a motorcycle and it should smell like exhaust a somewhat but I mean it smells up the whole garage! So if anybody has had experienced the same thing and has had it resolved, I'd love to hear from you. I don't mind running over to H-D and picking up and installing the TPS CPS or the O2 sensors but I don't want to if I don't have to. I have the manual and it just covers replacing these parts and not testing to see if they are good to go or not. I've checked the connections and they all seem alright. Air filter looks good. I don't know what else? I'm thinking that maybe the O2 sensors are not bad but something is making them read high? Sorry for the stream of consciousness writing but I just want to be sure that I put everything out there so I can get some good feedback. And please, please for the love of everything good in the world do not reply with "have you searched the forum?" because I have and maybe I missed something real obvious, but if I did just point me in the right direction. Thanks, jc.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Quite frankly the quickest way of getting to the bottom of the problem is to get your bike properly tested, to diagnose what is wrong. A local indy or dealer can do that if you can't. It could be something really simple and quick to put right, or something has failed and needs replacement. Your gas mileage could be the cause of the O2 sensor problems, so one of those other sensors could have gone down.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

you need to find out why it is running rich...and because it is running rich in both cylinders, I would guess its not the injectors...my guess is the fuel pressure is too high, and because there are no codes I would guess that the other stuff you mentioned is fine...

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate

@grbrown, I didn't want to take it in to the dealer but that might be what will end up happening. I consider myself pretty handy but I'm a little over my head.

@mrfikser, quick question: if the pressure is high then wouldn't the idling be high as well? I don't wanna sound dumb, but I'm just trying to figure this out in my head which is difficult since my knowledge of motorcycles is pretty limited. High fuel pressure would cause a misreading somewhere and the engine would idle low?

I'm actually taking a motorcycle class at my local junior college so I think I'm gonna pick up the electrical diag manual from my local hd and see if my instructor has any insight into this problem on Tues. I'll let y'all know what happens even if i just end up taking it to Oakland HD because I know youre both dying to know! Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

the idle would not go up because the amount of air is limited by the throttle body...So, instead it just runs more fuel in the same amount of air, which equals rich..when the fuel pressure goes up the injectors, which still open the same length of time allow more fuel to pass in that same amount of time....check the bypass hose to see if it is kinked...also check the throttle body, it may be gummed up, give it a good spray with CRC in all the ports etc. and move the slide up and down...don't use carb. cleaner or PBlaster they are bad for it....it may just be oil and crap caught up in the idle bypass port(or whatever it is called).....don't be afraid to spray the crap out of it...then start it up and spray it some more, stick the straw that is attached to the can in the holes and let her rip..

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh, and buy a manual for the bike, the HD one is the only one worth having and it has the schematics in the back..

Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[deleted] because i'm a moron.

Last edited by schwingding; 03-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate

Alright, so I know it's been like three weeks since I wrote this post but I just thought I'd write out an update for this problem I was having. So I removed the air filter to take a look at what the throttle body looks like, and it was dirty. I cleaned it out and cleaned the air filter element. After that I looked at the spark plugs and the rear plug was not lookin so good. I replaced both spark plugs since it's been a while. Still low idle. I ended up testing the voltage on the O2 sensors like the elect diag manual says to do. The front sensor was fine: small voltage at idle while it increased when I gave it some gas. The rear sensor was all over the place with voltage ranging from .04v to .49v at idle. When I hit the gas it got even worse so I ended up replacing the rear O2 sensor. It idles fine now but I checked the diag codes thru the speedo and I'm still getting 132 and 152-front O2 sensor and rear O2 sensor. Maybe it takes a while for the little computer to recognize the new sensor? I have class again on Tues so maybe I can get my instructor to help me out again. That's it I reckon, and again thanks for all the input. peace

Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Did you clear the codes?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 AM
jcasarez2000
Intermediate

Yeah, I sure did. I cleared the codes right after I replaced the O2 sensor this morning then went for a pretty good ride mixing city riding with highway riding. It felt way way better and didn't feel like the idle was low at lights or stop signs. I get back home and check to see if there's any codes and the same two had popped up. I cleared them again and figured I'd go for a quick ride tomorrow morning to see if they come back. It's not idling low any more, but the codes are popping back up.

Quick Reply: Low idle, bad TPS, bad O2 sensor, or bad...