Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about type of paint for gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
akhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Question about type of paint for gas tank

I got this new 3.3 gas tank, want to replace my original 4.5 tank... but I want to paint my new tank myself.
Anyone out there have any experience painting their tank by spray can? If so, what did you find out will work?
Attached is the tank I want to paint.

I have spray painted with cans a lot before, but not sure what will hold up under gasoline being dripped on it.

Attached Thumbnails Question about type of paint for gas tank-e.jpg   Question about type of paint for gas tank-a.jpg  

Last edited by akhdrider; 04-09-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 AM
Robin427
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do this some times ago, now i do those jobs with a spray gun and comressed air.
i bought the color cans at the local paint shop - they mixed the color and fill it up in spray cans
this cans costs more than the cans from a DIY market but you be safe that the color resists gas and the spray nozzles make a steady surface

you also can use this i used this extra nozzles

the red one makes best result (in my opinion) - mostly mounted at the cans form the paint shop

Last edited by Robin427; 04-10-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin427
i do this some times ago, now i do those jobs with a spray gun and comressed air.
i bought the color cans at the local paint shop - they mixed the color and fill it up in spray cans
this cans costs more than the cans from a DIY market but you be safe that the color resists gas and the spray nozzles make a steady surface

the red one makes best result (in my opinion) - mostly mounted at the cans form the paint shop
This is not a bad way to go but what ever you do I'd suggest using Urethane paint. It drys fast, won't react or wrinkle if you apply several coats and is very durable.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 AM
akhdrider
Cruiser

I was told about urethane paint, how it is the best to resist gasoline.. but the only urethane paint I can find in a spray can is...
http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

I cannot afford to pay 600.00 to have a tank painted...so I thought I would just do it myself.. maybe not an option..
Thought of buying an Airbrush kit and doing it that way
Has anyone out there painted bike gas tanks using an air brush kit?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 AM
akhdrider
Cruiser
Talking

Thanks.. but I was told Acrylic paint will not resist gasoline.. must use urethane.. just what others told me.. but I do not see any urethane spray paint on the net.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 AM
cavalier2000
Tourer

you could just be really careful when you fill up with gas. When we powder coated my tank the clear said it was fuel resistant..... i don't plan on finding out.

the Japanese gas stations here fill up your stuff for you, and they have a rag with them to make sure fuel only goes where it is supposed to. So far not a drop has hit my tank (cept inside)

So paint it with what you want and be REALLY careful when filling, I bet you wont have an issue.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Robin427
Novice

Originally Posted by akhdrider
Thanks.. but I was told Acrylic paint will not resist gasoline.. must use urethane.. just what others told me.. but I do not see any urethane spray paint on the net.
thats right Acrylic paint dont resists gas...
i didin't regard the word "acryl" and use them for ohter the paints - it will also work

Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave it I like it. I did mine with self etching satin black primer rattlecan.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Robin427
Novice

if you not want a glossy paint -- whats about plastdip ..?

i dont know if it's resistant to gas

..but in this case you can remove it easily when you dont like it

Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Muskie46
Advanced

if you not want a glossy paint -- whats about plastdip ..?

i dont know if it's resistant to gas

..but in this case you can remove it easily when you dont like it
I know a lot of guys that use plastic dip and love it. Like Robin said, if you dont like it, you can peel it right off and have your old paint scheme back. I plan on dipping some areas on mine soon. you can find cans at most hardware stores for around $8 or $9.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Quick Reply: Question about type of paint for gas tank