Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmet for sporty

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Full Face Helmet for sporty

I normally wear an OUTLAW open face helmet with a pair of sunglasses but after last winter and running into rain, wind (blowing dirt), cold and bugs (and those damn bugs hurt when they hit you in the cheek) I'm thinking of getting a full face helmet for next winter, I was looking around and found a Torc T10b I like this because of a few reasons the Bluetooth being able to answer the cell phone, talk to the passenger and even listen to MP3 all while riding. (link below).

My question, is this a good helmet and/or is there another better that can do allthe same things??

TORC T10B Prodigy Full Faced Helmet with Blinc 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth Technology (Black, Medium) : Amazon.com : Automotive TORC T10B Prodigy Full Faced Helmet with Blinc 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth Technology (Black, Medium) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM
redrub
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ib5150
I normally wear an OUTLAW open face helmet with a pair of sunglasses but after last winter and running into rain, wind (blowing dirt), cold and bugs (and those damn bugs hurt when they hit you in the cheek) I'm thinking of getting a full face helmet for next winter, I was looking around and found a Torc T10b I like this because of a few reasons the Bluetooth being able to answer the cell phone, talk to the passenger and even listen to MP3 all while riding. (link below).

My question, is this a good helmet and/or is there another better that can do allthe same things??

TORC T10B Prodigy Full Faced Helmet with Blinc 2.0 Stereo Bluetooth Technology (Black, Medium) : Amazon.com : Automotive
This wasn't what you asked but I gotta know.....

I have yet to see one cager driving and talking on a cell phone have enough situational awareness to do both. Not one! I can't do it you can't do it the lady in your blind spot in the left lane can't do it either.

Bikers have been getting slaughtered the last few years. The evening news says the rider didn't wear a helmet. But they never mention the person that ran them over was talking on the phone. The phone lobbies are telling you not to text because they want you to use their products as much as you possibly can. By separating texting and talking keeps the devices legal in the hands of drivers. If you look around you can spot a driver on the phone by the way they drive, just like you can spot a drunk.
So you're in a cage talking to your boss about whatever you have on the desk at work, or the OL telling you what kind of tampons you need to pickup on the way home.....Did you notice that person next to you who is just as distracted? or that Honda passing you at that moment?

:rant off:
Why would you ever want to answer or make a call while riding?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by redrub
Why would you ever want to answer or make a call while riding?
Probably because it is important to him. Talking on a cell phone, with his passenger, or listening to music seem to be his priorities.

Ron

Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I get on my sportster to get away from things like phone calls. I would have no idea about a helmet that can do those things. It's hands free so i don't see it as being as dangerous as actually holding a phone while texting in a car. I can however tell you that a full face helmet is nice. particularly at night when the bugs are out.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM
redrub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by IRON1250
I get on my sportster to get away from things like phone calls. I would have no idea about a helmet that can do those things. It's hands free so i don't see it as being as dangerous as actually holding a phone while texting in a car. I can however tell you that a full face helmet is nice. particularly at night when the bugs are out.
I agree with all of that even wearing helmets. I would even consider the BT for the music part.
As much as I like to listen to music it is different from talking to someone. Having a conversation with someone sitting next to in a car, or behind you on a bike can be a distraction. The difference is when they are with you they are also aware of things like weather, traffic, speed limits and road hazards...

Its a sweet helmet, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread but I do want folks to think about the whole cell phone thing and how they they relate to us bikers...

Sorry!

Last edited by redrub; 04-21-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: didn't edit after all!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

If there was a 500 dollar fine if you caught using your cell phone while driving it wouldn't take long before folks got the message. Unfortunately we live in a society of irresponsible drivers who simply don't care. They can't breath without a cell phone. My cell phone is for emergency calls and for times I don't have access to a phone at all. I'm a daily rider and I'm not interested in taking or receiving calls when I'm out on the road enjoying the ride. They can leave a voice mail which I can choose to respond to if I so desire.

As to helmets are are a lot of great helmets but they don't fit all head shapes/ types. HJCs fit my scull shape perfectly but some others don't no matter what the size. Its best to try before you buy. Many helmets have the ability to have wireless communication with a passenger If your 2 up touring. I'd never order a helmet online without actually trying it on first. Ride Safe!

Future phone technology is going to make it impossible to use your phone in a moving vehicle and I'm totally ok with that. Sprint already offers that technology for parents to keep kids off the phone while driving.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
redrub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
If there was a 500 dollar fine if you caught using your cell phone while driving it wouldn't take long before folks got the message. Unfortunately we live in a society of irresponsible drivers who simply don't care. They can't breath without a cell phone. My cell phone is for emergency calls and for times I don't have access to a phone at all. I'm a daily rider and I'm not interested in taking or receiving calls when I'm out on the road enjoying the ride. They can leave a voice mail which I can choose to respond to if I so desire.

As to helmets are are a lot of great helmets but they don't fit all head shapes/ types. HJCs fit my scull shape perfectly but some others don't no matter what the size. Its best to try before you buy. Many helmets have the ability to have wireless communication with a passenger If your 2 up touring. I'd never order a helmet online without actually trying it on first. Ride Safe!

Future phone technology is going to make it impossible to use your phone in a moving vehicle and I'm totally ok with that. Sprint already offers that technology for parents to keep kids off the phone while driving.
We can only hope!

X2 on first trying them on first. Go to all the dealers and indy's in the area to try them on first. Order on line after you make a decision or better yet try to get the local guy to get you the best deal in his store.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

My wife and I both wear Schuberth flip-ups, with blue tooth, but we only use that as an intercom.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I ride my bike to get away from my wife (she won't ride with me), so why would I want to give her the ability to call and bitch at me even more while I'm in my bliss of bike riding.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM
ib5150
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is getting people killed when it pertains to cell phones is one hand on the starring wheel the other on the cell phone and/or dialing a number again one hand on the cell phone and No eyes on the road, the same goes for texting.

That is why it is legal in all the states to use a hands free device such as a Bluetooth or a Bluetooth incorporated into a vehicle or Helmet, where a call can be either answered or dialed hands free without the operator even having to take their eyes off the road.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmet for sporty