Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   best handle bar speakers for a guy with crappy hearing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/882888-best-handle-bar-speakers-for-a-guy-with-crappy-hearing.html)

mtnbikeadam 06-15-2013 11:20 AM

best handle bar speakers for a guy with crappy hearing

im looking for some decent speakers i can mount on my sportsters handlebar. dosent have to be the best sounding as my hearing isnt the best to begin with. but i would like to at least be able to plug my phone in and hear most of a song doing 60mph. what are your guys suggestions? :icon_jammin:

mikek87 06-15-2013 11:22 AM

The boom audio I have hward are great but pricey

mtnbikeadam 06-15-2013 11:40 AM

anyone try these? they seem too cheap to be good but im thinking about giving them a try.

Baldy 48 06-15-2013 11:47 AM

I'm using really comfortable ear buds I bought at Radio Shack for $30.00. My I-phone has that I-pod built in and I get my music from I-tunes.

06Sporty75 06-15-2013 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mtnbikeadam (Post 11414586)
anyone try these? they seem too cheap to be good but im thinking about giving them a try.

Amazon.com: PYLE PLMCA30 Motorcycle Mount Amplified 200-Watt Stereo Sound System with Dual Handlebar Mount Speakers: Car Electronics

there's 114 customer reviews on amazon, should give you a good idea.. pyle makes lower end stuff, but it's still decent stuff. but it looks like it's getting some poor reviews on amazon.

Also consider a Bluetooth system for your helmet, I've got a UClear and i'm pretty happy with it. but If you have a really loud exhaust then it probably wont do much good.

HarleyScuba 06-16-2013 12:15 PM

Helmet speakers and a pocket amplifier.
No extra crap hanging off the handle bars.
Amp:
This amp, Fiio E5, is about the size of a matchbook, but I find it sufficient. It won't get ear-bursting loud with my MP3 player, but loud enough. It helps when connecting my MP3 player to my truck's stereo input jack, too. With a full charge on the built-in battery, it'll last me all day (I turn it off during smoke breaks).
If you want louder, but about twice the size of Fiio E5, go with a Fiio E11:
I've tried a few different sets of helmet speakers and I haven't noticed where the 50 dollar sets are any better than the 20 dollar sets. I've considered dis-mantling a set of studio headphones for the speakers.
Some States may deem helmet speakers illegal. They're legal where I am, but wearing two ear-buds is not. Go figure.
Get an in-line volume control cord to put between the ampflifier and helmet speakers. Much easier to adjust than the volume button on your music source (MP3 player, Walkman, Victrola, etc.). Something like this:
Anything from Radio Shack is complete garbage. Don't try it. Sad, but true.