Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Khrome Werks 2.5" or 3" slip-on? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/890190-khrome-werks-2-5-or-3-slip-on.html)

Thingfish 07-11-2013 07:34 PM

Khrome Werks 2.5" or 3" slip-on?

Trying to decide between slip-ons for my 2013 seventy-two. What are the sound/tone and performance differences between the Krome Werks 3 inch tapered muffler and 2.5 inch tapered muffler? Is the 3 inch deeper toned? Does it cost torque? This will just be a stage 1 bike.

Also interested in American Custom mufflers if anyone can compare with Khrome Werks. Which is deeper toned? Is one louder than the other?

Cycle shacks don't grab me, and I have tried to listen on YouTube, but videos are very inconsistent depending on camera quality and location.

Any info appreciated, thanks!

edgeofinsanity 07-11-2013 09:38 PM

I did a sound comparison with the Khrome Werks slip ons and Cycle Shack mufflers. I used the same camera, in the same position, same bike, tried to duplicate the two clips the best I could. The Khrome Werks I had were the 2.5 HP Plus slash cuts, so its not apples to apples, but these clips should give you an idea...

Thingfish 07-12-2013 12:33 AM

Thanks. I did see your vids, but not side by side. From the videos it confirms I prefer the Werks, although both sound nice. Any idea how the 2.5" compare to the 3"?

harleyglen 07-12-2013 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thingfish (Post 11515363)
Thanks. I did see your vids, but not side by side. From the videos it confirms I prefer the Werks, although both sound nice. Any idea how the 2.5" compare to the 3"?

I dont know about the 3" but ive got the 2.5" slash cuts on my iron and they sound great but a tad too loud for me so I put their noise reduction baffles in and its perfect now

DrewBone 07-12-2013 06:12 AM

One of the best kept secrets out there is Khrome Werks! Soooooooo many people just go for the obligatory V&H, Rush, Cycle Shacks, SE, etc. like a bunch of sheep for cryin' out loud that on principle alone I just had to look for something else!!! And I'm really glad I did. I'm running the KW 3" tapered's here on my '883. To me, they sound great, not raspy in the least, with a deep tone that got even deeper after I flashed a new MAP with my Power Vision tuner. And they're not too loud by any stretch of the imagination...my imagination that is...

I've never heard the 2.5" versions in person, and I think that's the only way to definitively compare them to the 3" or anything else for that matter, as sound is subjective, iPhone videos suck, and pc speakers suck. As such you're never really getting a good representation of the sound unless you're standing there next to a bike running, so that means that my recommendations you can throw out the window too, hahahahaha.

But seriously, I chose the 3" because the 2.5" just looked too narrow, making the exhaust like an extention/elongation of the engine pipe [read: heat shields], and I didn't want "drag pipe" looking exhaust, in fact I wanted to simulate the factory exhaust as I really like the way the tapered mufflers "flow" out the back and make the bike look lower. Since I never cared for the way the baloney cut & slash down mufflers end so abruptly it was a no brainer for me to get the tapered ones...but that's just me, weird, LOL.

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either...make a happy choice!!!

...hmmmmmmm...2.5" :icon_look: 3.0" ???

=8^)

Thingfish 07-12-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by harleyglen (Post 11515372)
I dont know about the 3" but ive got the 2.5" slash cuts on my iron and they sound great but a tad too loud for me so I put their noise reduction baffles in and its perfect now

Originally Posted by DrewBone (Post 11515663)
One of the best kept secrets out there is Khrome Werks! Soooooooo many people just go for the obligatory V&H, Rush, Cycle Shacks, SE, etc. like a bunch of sheep for cryin' out loud that on principle alone I just had to look for something else!!! And I'm really glad I did. I'm running the KW 3" tapered's here on my '883. To me, they sound great, not raspy in the least, with a deep tone that got even deeper after I flashed a new MAP with my Power Vision tuner. And they're not too loud by any stretch of the imagination...my imagination that is...

I've never heard the 2.5" versions in person, and I think that's the only way to definitively compare them to the 3" or anything else for that matter, as sound is subjective, iPhone videos suck, and pc speakers suck. As such you're never really getting a good representation of the sound unless you're standing there next to a bike running, so that means that my recommendations you can throw out the window too, hahahahaha.

But seriously, I chose the 3" because the 2.5" just looked too narrow, making the exhaust like an extention/elongation of the engine pipe [read: heat shields], and I didn't want "drag pipe" looking exhaust, in fact I wanted to simulate the factory exhaust as I really like the way the tapered mufflers "flow" out the back and make the bike look lower. Since I never cared for the way the baloney cut & slash down mufflers end so abruptly it was a no brainer for me to get the tapered ones...but that's just me, weird, LOL.

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either...make a happy choice!!!

...hmmmmmmm...2.5" :icon_look: 3.0" ???

=8^)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good to know about their baffle option, and that they aren't raspy. That's my least favorite pipe sound. Both Cycle Shack and SE have a raspy quality to my ears that I want to avoid. Drew, I know what you mean about the thinner shape. I've emailed Khrome Werks and asked them about the differences. I'll post anything they tell me here. I'd love to hear them in person, but I haven't found one person with them locally let alone two with different sizes ha!

I've got V&H big shots on my Dyna which sound great, but I'm going for something a bit mellower on the 72, but still deep and rumbly.

edgeofinsanity 07-12-2013 12:27 PM

The baffles that came in my KW slip ons were wrapped with fiberglass, the Cycle Shacks are just steel baffles, no wrapping. I think that's were a lot of the sound (and volume) difference is from. Like you said, the Cycle Shacks have more of a "metallic" sound, quite a bit louder as well. I couldn't tell any big difference in performance between the two, I feel I have a slightly better throttle response with the Cycle Shacks, but that's it.

I was at least the second owner of those Khrome Werks slip ons, possibly the third. They had a lot of miles on them, the only reason I replaced them is that they were getting a bit scratched up and looked out of place on my otherwise clean bike, and I noticed I was starting to blow some of the fiberglass packing out of them. I found the Cycle Shack exhaust for $80 shipped on Amazon and jumped on it, but didn't see any issues as far as quality with Khrome Werks.

xl8832007 07-12-2013 01:18 PM

Was that the full exhaust of the cycle shacks for $80! ?

Thingfish 07-13-2013 02:57 AM

Thanks Edge.

edgeofinsanity 07-13-2013 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by xl8832007 (Post 11517118)
Was that the full exhaust of the cycle shacks for $80! ?

Yes, it was, I bought them last Fall, two sellers on Amazon had them for that price. I couldn't pass it up. Full one-piece exhaust pipes with heat shields and everything.