Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering lock or no steering lock; Safety Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Holywater
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steering lock or no steering lock; Safety Issue!

I have a '12 Nightster, HD installed a new fork lock on my bike which promptly failed less than 24 hours after installation causing my bars to lock in the center possition while riding and causing me to lay down the bike...

Yes, HD is replacing the lock for free, along with all other scratched/broken parts.

After searching google for potential fixes I learned about others that had their fork locks fail typically while parked, not while riding. And there didn't seem to be many cases of sportsters failing. Only Road kings and such where the ignitions were tied in with the fork locks.

It's making me think, do any of you run without fork locks (and why)? And what issues could come from not having a fork lock inplace (could road grim cause issues)?

I thought of maybe plugging the hole with something to keep the grim out. I know they make fork lock covers for other model HD's but I haven't found any for the Nightsters.

Last edited by Holywater; 07-29-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Swapped 'Steering' for 'Fork'
Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but what is a steering lock? I have a lock on the right side of my forks which can lock the forks ONLY when the steering is turned all the way to the right. You cant straighten the steering while this is locked, so you wouldn't drive off with it.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Holywater
Advanced

Fork lock****** my bad.

Yeah thats what I'm saying. The lock appeared to function propperly until I was down the street!

I rode home just fine after the install from the HD dealer. I got home, locked the forks like normal and crashed for the night. When I woke up to go for a ride the next morning the lock wouldn't unlock and obviously the bars wouldn't turn. The lock cylinder would only turn half way before stopping.

I tried a few times with all 4 of my spare keys. Also flipped the keys over and tried that way. Nothing worked for about 20 minutes. Eventually it did unlock just fine with out a hammer or lube or a cheater bar or otherwise forcing the lock. The mechanism turned over with ease just like it's suppose too. I tested the bars to make sure I have full range of motion in both directions and I did. No hang ups or signs of issues at all.

So I started it up and took off. I made it around the corner before the forks literally locked. Dead straight at about 20mph... Prior to this the bike was in mint condition. Stock with no modifications. All service was done at the same dealership. I picked it up and moved out of the road. At that point the bars could only move from center to far left. I couldn't turn the front wheel to the right at all. And the fork lock wouldn't turn at all at that point.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never use locks on my bikes. I hear too many horror stories like this. If someone wants a bike bad enough, they will get it IMO.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Holywater
Advanced

So what do you think, ditch the lock or just never use it?(I use a disc brake lock religiously)

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

ps Not trying to be a D here, but if something on the bike isn't working properly while stationary, it's probably not a good idea to take off without fixing or removing it first (headset locks, loose bars, sticking throttle, sticky brakes, frayed cables etc) Glad you're ok!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Holywater
Advanced

You're not coming across as a D. I've learned that lesson ... I just assumed that something had gotten in the lock. Sand, grime, whatever, and may need a blast of air and some graphite lube.

I NEVER thought it could lock up on me after being turned fully to the unlocked position and the key coming out.. I worked as a lock smith for a long time. Automotive was my favorite type of service call. I never ran into a fork lock problem before or any other bike related lock problems.

I can't help but keep mulling it over in my head. Locks, at least the kind I'm used too, don't just fail like this. It had to have been damaged during installation or improperly installed or I was just the luckiest SOB in the world that day. Because by all accounts it SHOULD have locked up on me on the way home from the dealer.

Has anyone ever heard of the forks locking like this? Where you only have half the range of motion you would normally have?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Harley should have stuck with the old style padlock fork lock. Those chintzy Jap style fork/bike locks are a POS. Sometimes simple is better. Glad you are okay, that dealer is lucky you weren't injured as well.

John

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

Yes I have heard of this on all brands of bikes. I carry a chain and padlock on my leather (shoulder) for those times I'm in the city. It doubles as a nice mace. Cheers.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM
$eventy2T
Tourer

I am not one to sue or stir the pot by nature, but if that was an HD mistake my fight wouldn't end at replacement parts.

Quick Reply: Steering lock or no steering lock; Safety Issue!