Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Thunder Torque Inserts w/ Xied's

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Lucky McGruff
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DK Thunder Torque Inserts w/ Xied's

So I just installed a set of DK Customs Thunder Torque inserts and a set of Xied's on my Iron. I was running open exhaust prior to the install. I have an HD heavy breather on the bike and was hoping the combination of the TTI's and Xied would get the bike running richer and cooler...

Side not: DK Customs is amazing. I order both the items from them on Thursday and they arrived in Sacramento, CA this morning. They shipped it USPS 2 day! A nice women even called me Thursday to confirm my address and let me know that my items were shipping out in about twenty minutes. Also The DK guys frequent this forum and I found out about the TTI's from them responding the a previous thread of mine. These guys kick A**!

Back to my question: The bike sounds incredible! Just for good measure I had my friend take it for a ride and when he flew by the sound and rumble blew me away. the TTI's are worth every penny! I noticed however about an hour into riding today the engine felt just as hot as it normally did with baffles in. I could feel the heat against my legs riding down the freeway doing about 90. I know that with the TTI's you can rotate them in different directions for both sound and torque, and I was wondering if anyone has found the magical angle for these guys. Currently I have them installed backwards with the cone of the 118w facing away the end of the slip on pipes. I am running 2.5 cycle shack slash cuts if that helps.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You are always going to feel some heat, its an air cooled bike. If you weren't feeling heat, the engine would be off.

What you should do, is pay attention to your oil temp, how the plugs look, and measure the head pipe temps if you have a pyrometer.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

The TTI's were designed to increase low and mid range power.

Side benefits are a little deeper tone and for some it will reduce/eliminate decel pop.

With the exhaust gases moving more quickly, theoretically, it will run a little cooler...but this is probably not noticeable to the riders leg.

As far as position of the TTI, 90% of the time the engine will produce the most power when the cupped part is closest to the end of the slip-on.

Since the TTI is designed to increase power, we have never done any experimenting with heat based on the angle/rotation of the TTI.

The XiED's should definitely have the engine running stronger and a bit cooler. Do you still have low RPM hesitation/stutter? It should be a smoother acceleration with the XiED's installed.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Lucky McGruff
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low end and mid came back just as you promised, it was night and day in the amount of low end torque the bike had! With the Xied's and the TTI's the bike sound MEAN! I had my buddy ride it and he was blown away. I was able to hear the bass and rumble of the bike from three blocks away. As far as the heat goes again I am a new harley rider and I know the air cooled engines get hot, but as a new harley owner you are never sure if something is normal or not because I lack the experience to know the difference. I am very happy with my purchase and expect to buy more mods from you guys as my cash flow allows. Thanks again for all of your help, grade A customer service. You have earned yourself another DK Customs supporter!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

DK Customs, Kevin and the girls there are a top notch organization.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:35 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky McGruff
The low end and mid came back just as you promised, it was night and day in the amount of low end torque the bike had! With the Xied's and the TTI's the bike sound MEAN! I had my buddy ride it and he was blown away. I was able to hear the bass and rumble of the bike from three blocks away. As far as the heat goes again I am a new harley rider and I know the air cooled engines get hot, but as a new harley owner you are never sure if something is normal or not because I lack the experience to know the difference. I am very happy with my purchase and expect to buy more mods from you guys as my cash flow allows. Thanks again for all of your help, grade A customer service. You have earned yourself another DK Customs supporter!
Thank you for the feedback. Good to hear! We appreciate your business.

Regarding heat, it may be worth it to get a dipstick temp gauge, then you can know if you have any heat that is beyond the norm.

Depending on outside temps and how you ride, you will probably see temps in the 200-250 range. Going much above 250, even on long high RPM runs in hot weather is when you might be looking at some sort of issue.

You may hear from others that these temps are high, but the EFI bikes run hotter (even with a good AFR) than the carbed bikes.

Originally Posted by baka1969
DK Customs, Kevin and the girls there are a top notch organization.
Thank you!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the MoCo Analog dipstick oil cap and my temps were about 215-225 on the high end.

It went down to about 205-215 on the high end after I dropped in XIEDs.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default running cooler

Originally Posted by Lucky McGruff
The way i noticed the change in temperature is before installing my Vieds, from DKCustom, on my 2013 Sportster 72 I'd burn my leg on the stock air cleaner. I had already installed Screaming Eagle slip ons. Since then I've installed a custom made air cleaner,much smaller but 360 intake surface & just pulled my baffels & installed DKCustom TTI's. I no longer burn my leg on the air cleaner. It's cold to the touch even after riding home from work. So I know the Vied made it run cooler. The air cleaner made it breath easier & the TTI's w/baffels removed made it run faster & louder. I mounted TTI's 1/2" from the end facing out. It wont be hard to switch around & try other direction to see if any difference next week
ps the Sportster runs hotter than my 2001 Softail (high idle EFI vs low idle Carb & bigger cc's)

Follow up! swapped the TTI's around 180 facing cones inward instead of outwards. Increased low end torque & lowered tone of sound (better)! I did loose a little top end speed but I don't need to be running up to 80mph before shifting into 5th. Only took 5 minutes to loosen rotate & tighten nuts on TTI's. I say get Vied or Xied from DKCustom to adjust AFR & you should notice the bike running cooler the first time out I did

Last edited by Rob Robb; 09-18-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: follow up