Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A rather in depth question on exhaust & air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM
shadowIreaper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A rather in depth question on exhaust & air filters

I've scoured the internet and these forums and I can't seem to get a 100% straight answer, specifically for my bike, so here we go:

I have a 2013 Iron 883 with all the important stuff still stock. My project over the winter is exhaust and air cleaner. In a perfect world, I want the following: Menace Exhaust by Sik Pipes and a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather Filter. Now comes the part why I say "in a perfect world" and where the questions come in...

I've heard from a friend and a dealer that installing these requires a Screaming Eagle Pro Super Tuner. I've also heard conflicting reports, mainly from these forums, that installing an air cleaner and exhaust does NOT require a Tuner on HD models after 2007 because the Delphi closed loop ECMs recalibrates itself once the new hardware is on.
So first and most important question: Do I need a Tuner at all?

IF I DO require a Tuner, next issue: The Screaming Eagle catalog clearly states that using this will void my warranty. Same friend again says there is no way a Harley part made for Harley bikes could void a warranty.
Next question: Does a Tuner void my warranty?

IF I require a Tuner and it DOES void my warranty, last question: What options am I left with? I'm certainly not going to void a warranty on a bike that isn't even a year old, but I'm really not happy with stock. Are there any other air filter options for me besides just changing out the stock cover? What about exhaust? Can I at least get muffler slip ons? Maybe even pull the baffle and powder coat the stock equipment?

Thanks in advance for reading this mess and helping out!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You will never get a 100% in agreement answer on the issue of exhaust, intake, and the need for addition of a tuner.

However, since I am a glutten for punishment, I think I can explain.

As your stock untouched Harley sits, it is running lean [too much air]; this is to have the exhaust emitted into the atmosphere to stay within the number range that the EPA wants. This lean condition is not dangerous, but it produces excess heat and equates to a loss of performance.

Both the stock exhaust and stock intake represent a restriction in airflow; one coming in, the other going out. If you add just free flowing exhaust and leave the intake stock, there is no real measureable increase in possible airflow because of the restriction at the intake and your lean condition remains intact. And by the same process, if you change out the intake for free flowing but leave the restrictive stock exhaust, there again is no measureable increase in airflow through the engine and the lean condition will still exist. Now, if you add BOTH free flowing exhaust AND free flowing intake you have eliminated BOTH restrictions and will have added significantly to the lean condition, which will increase engine temps and exhaust temps further.

Some say there is no need to use a tuner in the case of adding exhaust & intake and that may be a debateable statement, but look at what the tuner will provide over having NO TUNER; the tuner will eliminate the lean condition, and will correct the AFR's etc., which will result in better engine performance and lower engine and exhaust temps. This can be beneficial not only from a performance standpoint but will help reduce heat generated friction on the engine's rotating mass and associated parts.

To my knowledge the Delphi ECM does not, with the factory stock MAP, have the ability to "recalibrate itself" to suit the addition of new exhaust & intake. It simply doesn't have the range to go to that which the new additions require, being hampered by a set a variables that are subjected to EPA restrictions.

How a factory HD tuner, installed by HD technicians, at a HD dealship, can void the HD warranty is beyond the scope of my understanding and sounds like a load of crappola. They sell, install, flash tune, and dyno your bike, all for a handsome sum, which to some seems excessive.

Many are fooled into thinking that everything they do to their bikes must be Harley, and that is rubbish. There are many aftermarket tuners available that will NOT void any warranty that offer less and more features according to taste and the size of your wallet.

I see you are a newcomer, welcome! Before shelling out any coin, I suggest you start on an information quest, checking out all the different tuners, how they work, what they accomplish, and why. Before long you will have a better understanding of them and your bike, and can then make an educated decision on your own as far as what to do. Get the smarts, it's fun, and knowledge is king. And don't worry about anything, ask away, there are never any stupid questions [well, the only stupid questions are the one's that aren't asked], and we all had to learn somewhere.

Cheers.

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 09-11-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM
shadowIreaper
6th Gear

I cannot thank you enough, that clears things up quite a bit. At least I know I could do one or the other safely without dealing with the tuner if push comes to shove. I'm going to do a bit more homework on the tuner though, hopefully I can find something that fits my needs. Mainly not voiding the warranty...

Honestly, I agree with you and my friend that an HD part installed by HD techs couldn't possibly void a warranty, however the Screaming Eagle 2014 Parts catalog compares the standard tuner and the super tuner together in a table of what each does. Under the category labeled "maintains engine warranty" the standard tuner says "yes" and the super tuner says "no." This is made difficult for me because the Iron can only use the super tuner. My uneducated guess is that the super tuner lets you control and tweak much, much more engine options (as shown by said table) and doing so goes outside EPA standards and HD has to void the warranty. Again, just my guess because it doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard from 1 dealer that if "YOU" change your own exhaust other than Screaming Eagle slip ons it'll void warranty. BUT if you have "DEALER" do swap they'll install whatever you want, if you purchase through them? Exhaust only wont require remap or tuner. If you do both exhaust & air cleaner you need something, like tuner or Vieds/Xieds (not from dealer). Dealer will say "their air cleaners & tuner" installed by them & anything else they'll void warranty. So bottom line is if warranty means more to you pay the big bucks for the dealer to install what they'll do without voiding it & then when the warranty ends you can get some decent after mkt stuff! You could also do your own upgrades of whatever, keep all the stock parts & if you need to take it in for warranty work spend the day swapping it all back on before you take the bike in

Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From a performance stand point that might be the worst pipe on the planet.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Lots of options out there for tuning an EFI bike.

Have fun,

John

Last edited by John Harper; 09-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
shadowIreaper
6th Gear

Rob - I'll look into my dealer's stance on work I do and work they do in terms of voiding. Also, I've been saving all my old parts anyway for no real reason, but this sounds like a hell of an idea!

Rocketman - Why is that? I'm not too concerned with increasing performance, honestly, its an 883 I ride around my area, never putting more than 100 miles on at a time, I'm mainly concerned with looks, haha!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If thats the look you want have at it Bro !

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Ill tell you MY experience. People often warned my my performance would go to crap once I did what I did. If it did change it wasnt enough to feel on my butt dyno. No it also didnt get better, most people that do a pipe, air cleaner, turner combo WILL get a noticeable increase........I didn't. I got the Sikpipes diesels, figure air cleaner and VIEDs. Shes been running fine for almost 2 years now. Could I have done better performance wise? Hell yeah, like you though, thats not what I was going for.

The following users liked this post:
myiron2014 (03-10-2016)
Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rog is that exhaust as loud as it looks?

Quick Reply: A rather in depth question on exhaust & air filters