Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my first maintenance this wknd. Impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Jackal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did my first maintenance this wknd. Impressions.

Got my 08 N with 1,892 mi. a few weeks ago. Supposedly not serviced since 1,000 mi. break-in, so I was very anxious to get it done, but had to settle on an oil / filter / plug first. I put 300 mi. on it with the old oil in it. Tags had expired in 2010.

Friday I decided I would go with Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w50 in crankcase and primary / trans, 30 micron HD filter, and NGK Iridium plugs. Since I was in a hurry Sat. morning to get it ready to go, I screwed up and started backing out the chain tensioner, so I now also had to deal with that as well as the belt drive since it was really loose after changing out the rear shocks. The old plugs looked alright, very slightly lean. I believe the rearward one had about .042" gap...front dead on at 40. Oil was dark, but not scary...could tell it was still sorta brown.

Everything went really well...nice and straight forward. I didn't find much of a tight spot in the primary chain, but went with was I thought was closest and set the cold tension to about 3/8" which I don't think it was much past 1/2" to begin with. Now the chain just barely sits below flush with top of inspection hole when you push up on it. I made the "tool" to inspect the rear wheel for proper tracking, and held my now removed chain guard up there to measure deflection. I didn't bother with the tool to apply 10lb. of pressure...just guessed. Set it to about 3/8" slack as well.

After taking a quick test run around the block and double checking everything, I rigged it up for 2-up and put the ol lady on the back and off we went. Immediately I noticed that the engine fired a LOT easier, and it idles a LOT smoother. Before it use to shift around pretty good in the mounts, now it hardly moves 1/4" total. I actually miss the "radical" rough idle shake and idle sound, for what now seems really mellow engine. It SEEMS to run cooler, but the temps have been pretty low here now anyway so it's hard to tell. I don't doubt it's running cooler. Shifting sounds and feels better, but now I can really hear the primary working, whereas before I didn't really notice it. I read that synthetics can make things "louder", but since I adjusted it at the same time, I'm not sure what the culprit is. Either way it's not a bad sound...just a change. Best of all, I can finally rip into it! This thing takes off like a bat outta hell with ease, which I'm very glad to have found out. I haven't even done the A/C or tuning yet, so that should help even more.

Before oil change, on the highway...even solo, I was pretty hesitant to go over 70. Yesterday 2-up we were blazing up the highway at 90+ and it was as solid as I thought possible on this bike and I haven't even done bars, riser, or forwards yet. Oh yea, on the shitty stock suspension as well! I have progressive springs for the front and chopped down RK's for the rear on the way.

Only downside to being able to push the bike somewhat now is that I'm dragging my left peg and on the right side the lower Short Shot heat shield is taking a beating. I can't wait till spring!

Last edited by Jackal; 11-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM
edgeofinsanity
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much did you need to adjust the primary chain?

I serviced my bike yesterday too, figured I'd get it out of the way before Winter. I did the the clutch adjustment and checked the chain while I was at it and noticed it was pretty close to the upper limit of the spec.

Just curious, I am at 6k miles now. I figured I'd take care of it next Spring, and since I was adjusting the clutch (which was way too tight), I didn't want to make too many changes in case I ended up with a problem.

Seems like you are kinda low on miles to be needing an adjustment, or new plugs for that matter.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Since I just got the bike used, I wanted to get these things out of the way rather than to assume they had been done right, or even done at all.

I also wanted to switch to synthetic, iridium plugs, and know where the adjustments are so I know how much they change over a certain period of time. It only makes sense...to me at least.

I didn't check the chain tension prior to dicking with it...I ended up having to adjust it because I accidentally loosened the tensioner rather than the drain plug. I do believe that it was about the same or at MOST 1/8" looser than it is now just from messing with it, but not measuring.

I do know that after adjusting the belt, then taking it out and beating on it for the first time with the confidence of a properly lubed and adjusted bike, the belt developed another 1/4" or more of slack. Not sure if this is due to stretch or not. The previous owner was a mid 50's putter who never even did the requisite burn-out, so this belt has had it easy thus far.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Brion B
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Requisite burn-out? Never heard of it being required!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Jackal
Road Master

Oh yea man, of course they are. I'm just waiting till the A/C and PC-V is on first.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jackal
The previous owner was a mid 50's putter who never even did the requisite burn-out, so this belt has had it easy thus far.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...wtf was that!?! mid 50's putter!?! Now that's just uncalled for man. I might be 50 something, and maybe I haven't done a burnout in...quite a few years...

Ok, maybe I am a putter. Damn.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Great job w/service...plugs were probably fine @ that low miles.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Jackal
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Whoa, whoa, whoa...wtf was that!?! mid 50's putter!?! Now that's just uncalled for man. I might be 50 something, and maybe I haven't done a burnout in...quite a few years...

Ok, maybe I am a putter. Damn.
LOL...I'm headed there myself man.

The copper plugs looked alright to be honest, but they needed to be tightened, anti-seized, and slightly gapped as it was...why not just make the change to NGK iridium now and be done with it for a couple years. Will also be a lot easier when I do go to change them again...I'll have the part number right there.