Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
JS,

I just completed the stage 1 and PV MAP upload last night on my Sportie. Rode to work today...and it don't feel like my bike. Much more power and SMOOTH. Yea...bike actually feels smoother at the various rpms. Guess a good MAP/FUEL mix actually makes the difference. Not that my bike ran bad before but I can feel a difference already. Seems to pull the twisties better in higher gear than before etc. Planning a few autotune sessions in the next few days to see if I can get it even better. For now I'm sold!!!

It's a great tool. Keep in mind that the adjustments it makes are limited to a +/- threshold. Depending on how far off the original tune was, running several autotunes just keeps making it better. I usually run at least 8 if I change a pipe or intake, or if I start with a canned map from somewhere.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
It's a great tool. Keep in mind that the adjustments it makes are limited to a +/- threshold. Depending on how far off the original tune was, running several autotunes just keeps making it better. I usually run at least 8 if I change a pipe or intake, or if I start with a canned map from somewhere.
That makes sense... So basically you AT, then save this new file since modified from the start MAP...and then reflash... AND repeat so you are always AT'ing from the previously AT'd MAP - or what I consider the most current you are running in the bike? Forward progress right?

Figured it'd take about 1/2 dozen or so AT's. BUT guess my point is with the upgrade so far I'm feeling a good/descent improvement. Fuel Moto provide my MAPS's based on what I told them my bikes had.

I really like the data logging feature of the PV and the advancements it can make. WISH I could get one for my Subies!

THANKS for the help/input!!!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 AM
JimmySportster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JS,

Tough looking bike! Really like the speedo location. And the wheels are KEWL too!

I just completed the stage 1 and PV MAP upload last night on my Sportie. Rode to work today...and it don't feel like my bike. Much more power and SMOOTH. Yea...bike actually feels smoother at the various rpms. Guess a good MAP/FUEL mix actually makes the difference. Not that my bike ran bad before but I can feel a difference already. Seems to pull the twisties better in higher gear than before etc. Planning a few autotune sessions in the next few days to see if I can get it even better. For now I'm sold!!!

Next up is the PV MAP upload to my UC. HOPING that it feels as good as my Sportie did this AM.
Thanks a lot! The speedo relocation bracket was only $100 and was pretty easy to do. I also bought the indicator light bracket for another $20 to keep the indicator lights over the risers.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:47 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

That makes sense... So basically you AT, then save this new file since modified from the start MAP...and then reflash... AND repeat so you are always AT'ing from the previously AT'd MAP - or what I consider the most current you are running in the bike? Forward progress right?

Figured it'd take about 1/2 dozen or so AT's. BUT guess my point is with the upgrade so far I'm feeling a good/descent improvement. Fuel Moto provide my MAPS's based on what I told them my bikes had.

I really like the data logging feature of the PV and the advancements it can make. WISH I could get one for my Subies!

THANKS for the help/input!!!

That's correct. AT, save, repeat. Of course it doesn't hurt to run some of them for long periods either. This kind of helps the balance of different air temperature and humidity from morning to night.

You can leave your bike in AT mode and still kill the ignition. When you start it back up just touch "Program Vehicle", "Autotune", and "Datalog". It takes you right where you left off.

Sometimes I run it on the way to work, continue with autotune at lunchtime, and continue again on the way home. This gives me a full 80-90 minutes of autotune action in one session without having to wait for the weekend to do longer runs. It also lets the same AT session see different environments. (It's Savannah, so muggy in the morning, hot and muggy at lunchtime, and hotter and even muggier after work!)

Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SLV
That's correct. AT, save, repeat. Of course it doesn't hurt to run some of them for long periods either. This kind of helps the balance of different air temperature and humidity from morning to night.

You can leave your bike in AT mode and still kill the ignition. When you start it back up just touch "Program Vehicle", "Autotune", and "Datalog". It takes you right where you left off.

Sometimes I run it on the way to work, continue with autotune at lunchtime, and continue again on the way home. This gives me a full 80-90 minutes of autotune action in one session without having to wait for the weekend to do longer runs. It also lets the same AT session see different environments. (It's Savannah, so muggy in the morning, hot and muggy at lunchtime, and hotter and even muggier after work!)
Makes more sense for LONGER runs/miles to get more AT data at once.

BUT are you leaving your PV connected to the bike with it off and key/off/removed? Our work parking lot is behind the building and I usually remove all handle bar items as well as remove key. So in my case the PV would be disconnected from the cord. Can I reconnect for ride home and resume the same AT? Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

This PV keeps on getting better and better. WOW what a high power device!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Makes more sense for LONGER runs/miles to get more AT data at once.

BUT are you leaving your PV connected to the bike with it off and key/off/removed? Our work parking lot is behind the building and I usually remove all handle bar items as well as remove key. So in my case the PV would be disconnected from the cord. Can I reconnect for ride home and resume the same AT? Or am I misunderstanding your meaning?

This PV keeps on getting better and better. WOW what a high power device!

Good question. I don't know if it will retain the datalog position if it is entirely disconnected. I park about 12 feet from my office door, and in secure lots once I'm on airport property. I think I could leave my wallet on the seat without a problem.

It's worth a try though. All you would lose is one ride's data collection.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:54 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

Had Pirelli Night Dragons installed today, primary chain adjusted, and clutch adjusted. Haven't had a chance to really test them out yet. Just the couple miles back to work on the bike from the shop felt great.

I figure the Michelin Scorchers did good from 0 to 16,200 miles over the last two years, but ready for some stickier rubber even if they don't last near that long.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Installed Hammer Performance Impact air cleaner, DS external crankcase breather, and nostalgia hand grips.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:23 PM
FTW.
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

New signals, home made hand shift/clutch, tinted headlight lens

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_3131.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_3139.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_3133.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_3135.jpg   What did you do to Your Sportster Today?-img_3141.jpg  

Old 07-17-2015, 02:31 PM
GMRO
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sgthwjack
Installed Hammer Performance Impact air cleaner, DS external crankcase breather, and nostalgia hand grips.

Very nice looking bike!

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?