Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dont understand

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 PM
chriscchristoph
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont understand

So I have done some work on my bike aesthetically, but the only performance mod I have is the vance and hines big radius pipes I put on when I got the bike.

I want to slap an air cleaner on there too and I know I need to enrich the fuel to match the air intake, BUT I dont understand what I need. Can I effectively use a plug and play like DKcustoms has to offer or do I need a PC-V? Are $100 air cleaners and effective performance wise as $500 ones?

Really need some advice/knowledge on this one fellas.

I have a 2012 nightster

Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Mountain Child
Intermediate

Not familiar w/ the DKcustoms, I have used the Vance and Hines Fuelpack. It seemed to work and was relatively easy to use. There are a lot of manufactures who sell products that "piggyback" the system or some even replace the ECM (computer) altogether. You could just take it to an HD dealer and have them remap it unless you like having something to play around with or plan on doing more performance mods. I don't think you could go wrong w/ an S&S Stealth air cleaner kit (about $130) which you can use you're stock cover with or for another $100+ get one of theirs. Whatever route you take make sure you do all the mods you presently are considering before you mess w/ the fuel mapping. If you think you will be wanting for more and the money is there, you may want to put a cam in as well. Nothing radical, you may want to consult with someone to find out what would work best for you or study the Screamin' Eagle catalogue to get a basic understanding if you do not already have one. If you have any interest.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using the DK inline resistors for over a year. My bike runs great. But I'm sure it can run better and more efficiently. The resistors aren't a custom application but works well for what it does. I do plan to install a power commander v this summer and get it on the dyno. If I ever want to make a change they will redo the tune for $100. Others suggest the power vision but I was at the international motorcycle show in seattle recently. I stopped in the dynojet booth to talk about the power vision and he said the pcv is better than the pv for a sportster. Some technical jargon about refresh rates, etc.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Zack Bradley
Cruiser

Do this:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

I cut my exhaust and did the Mreed filter and have never used a fuel enhancer. Not needed, just suggested!!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscchristoph
So I have done some work on my bike aesthetically, but the only performance mod I have is the vance and hines big radius pipes I put on when I got the bike.

I want to slap an air cleaner on there too and I know I need to enrich the fuel to match the air intake, BUT I dont understand what I need. Can I effectively use a plug and play like DKcustoms has to offer or do I need a PC-V? Are $100 air cleaners and effective performance wise as $500 ones?

Really need some advice/knowledge on this one fellas.

I have a 2012 nightster
Here's a link to a product that will help your bike ride a bit smoother, cooler and accelerated better. Clicky

Here's a link to a good overview of all the options and the capabilities of each.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

The most important factors in an air cleaner is that it-

Filters the air to keep everything but air out of your throttle body
Uses external breathers vs. breathers that feed hot oily air into the throttle body and combustion chamber.

Almost every expensive air cleaner is expensive because of the cost of making it look good...and 99% feed the hot oily air into the throttle body and combustion chamber.

The DK OUTLAWS HiFlow A/C's are great A/C's, so are the NRHS and Hammer.

But you can build one of the Mr. Reed style that is just as good and will cost a bit less $ along with some of your time.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ployd4
I've been using the DK inline resistors for over a year. My bike runs great. But I'm sure it can run better and more efficiently. The resistors aren't a custom application but works well for what it does. I do plan to install a power commander v this summer and get it on the dyno. If I ever want to make a change they will redo the tune for $100. Others suggest the power vision but I was at the international motorcycle show in seattle recently. I stopped in the dynojet booth to talk about the power vision and he said the pcv is better than the pv for a sportster. Some technical jargon about refresh rates, etc.
Follow Kevin's link. Start with the xieds unless you got cash to spend on tuner. The only thing the pcv is cheaper with less tuning options. The power vision of dynojet is your choice is the best for any Delphi ecm. Plus it is not always on the bike tucked in somewhere. The power vision also saves stock tune like my tts does. As tuning seems a little confusing to you yet I would get xieds from Kevin and research your tuning options later if you feel the need.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Follow Kevin's link. Start with the xieds unless you got cash to spend on tuner. The only thing the pcv is cheaper with less tuning options. The power vision of dynojet is your choice is the best for any Delphi ecm. Plus it is not always on the bike tucked in somewhere. The power vision also saves stock tune like my tts does. As tuning seems a little confusing to you yet I would get xieds from Kevin and research your tuning options later if you feel the need.

Good advice right here. Can you run pipes and a high flow AC without any type of tune or xied's-yes-should you-NO! the stock tune is already on the lean side and when you add both the pipes and he AC it gets super lean and hot.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I've got xieds on my all stock Iron. They work as advertised. Bike runs great. I'm going to get a set for my 1200C as well. For ~$100, they give the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
misfitchris
Intermediate

I was going to message DK Customs but this thread popped up. I was wondering something like this myself. Are XiED's ok to run with an outlaw air filter from DK Customs and say....full on new pipes....or the filter and slip ons?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:43 PM
chriscchristoph
Advanced

Ive looked at the mreed air cleaner mod and that looks rad but with having to make those breather bolts I was wonder do kits like this, http://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/...mance-filters# , have those included? not needed?

Quick Reply: I dont understand