Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   DK HiFlow 587 air cleaner + Rush slip-ons (1.75 baffle) = ?? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/944485-dk-hiflow-587-air-cleaner-rush-slip-ons-1-75-baffle.html)

Peacekeeper6 02-28-2014 05:55 AM

DK HiFlow 587 air cleaner + Rush slip-ons (1.75 baffle) = ??

Right now, I'm running Rush slip-ons with 1.75" baffles on my 2009 XL883 Low. I'm going to be buying a DK HiFlow 587 air cleaner very soon.

Would it be possible to run this set-up for a couple of months until I can afford to buy a Dynojet Power Vision ??

Has anybody ever had this set-up without a tuner, and if so, how did your bike run ??

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I ran a search and didn't find anything. Pointing me to a thread or two regarding this would also be sincerely appreciated)

AWS2111 02-28-2014 06:52 AM

Mine is carb'd so I can only lend but so much advice. That said, I would never recommend anyone intentionally go around with their bike running lean. Lean bikes run even hotter and over heating is a bad thing. Would it really be so hard to wait until you have the funds?

Jester 08 Nightster 02-28-2014 08:06 AM

:icon_twocents:

When you buy the 587, pick up some Xied's to richen things up. Only $100. If you want to enhance or improve your fuel delivery down the line you can always sell the Xied's for 50 - 60 bucks and get your PV. $100 is cheap insurance and way better than nothing.

kingxirol 02-28-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 (Post 12378907)
Right now, I'm running Rush slip-ons with 1.75" baffles on my 2009 XL883 Low. I'm going to be buying a DK HiFlow 587 air cleaner very soon.

Would it be possible to run this set-up for a couple of months until I can afford to buy a Dynojet Power Vision ??

Has anybody ever had this set-up without a tuner, and if so, how did your bike run ??

Thanks in advance.

(Yes, I ran a search and didn't find anything. Pointing me to a thread or two regarding this would also be sincerely appreciated)

Higher-flow exhaust + higher-flow air intake = DynoTune/PV/PCIII/XiED are a MUST if you don't want to damage your engine that will be overheated due to extra lean AFR without any of the tuning/fuel enrichment option.

I am in similar boat (Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles and XiEDs) and plan to get a higher-flow air-cleaner sometime soon but I should be okay as I already have XiEDs (kindly confirmed by Kevin from DK Customs). So that will be my budget Stage-1 upgrade. :)

South JerseyJoe 02-28-2014 09:53 AM

Ran my 2012C with Rush 1.75" and 587 air cleaner along with xied's no problem, 5000 miles later still going strong.

kingxirol 02-28-2014 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by South JerseyJoe (Post 12379754)
Ran my 2012C with Rush 1.75" and 587 air cleaner along with xied's no problem, 5000 miles later still going strong.

There you go! I will be taking pretty much the same route as soon as figure out a way to spread out and explain the expenses on bike when wifey sees it. :)

DK Custom Products 02-28-2014 10:33 AM

As others have said, once you upgrade the pipes and Air Cleaner, you need to richen up your fuel mixture. Below is a link to a thread on forums that goes into much more depth about all the tuners.

CLICK ME

One of the Xied products would be an inexpensive and easy fix for your setup. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions. We are here to help!!

Peacekeeper6 02-28-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AWS2111 (Post 12379030)
Mine is carb'd so I can only lend but so much advice. That said, I would never recommend anyone intentionally go around with their bike running lean. Lean bikes run even hotter and over heating is a bad thing. Would it really be so hard to wait until you have the funds?

I suppose I could, but that air cleaner would really look good on my bike RIGHT NOW.

:icon_wink:

Peacekeeper6 02-28-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jester 08 Nightster (Post 12379276)
:icon_twocents:

When you buy the 587, pick up some Xied's to richen things up. Only $100. If you want to enhance or improve your fuel delivery down the line you can always sell the Xied's for 50 - 60 bucks and get your PV. $100 is cheap insurance and way better than nothing.

That's a good idea.

I'm not sure what Xied model I should buy. I do about 75% highway/25% town when I ride, and I'm about 4500 above sea level.

Any suggestions from Xied experts out there ??

Peacekeeper6 02-28-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by kingxirol (Post 12379551)
Higher-flow exhaust + higher-flow air intake = DynoTune/PV/PCIII/XiED are a MUST if you don't want to damage your engine that will be overheated due to extra lean AFR without any of the tuning/fuel enrichment option.

I am in similar boat (Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles and XiEDs) and plan to get a higher-flow air-cleaner sometime soon but I should be okay as I already have XiEDs (kindly confirmed by Kevin from DK Customs). So that will be my budget Stage-1 upgrade. :)

In the DK website, there was a quick blurb about it being ok to run the 587 with stock exhaust, iirc.

I never thought that my Rush slip-ons were "high-flow", since they are still connected to the stock headers. I've always thought the slip-ons only improved the sound, and didn't really do anything to the air coming out of the engine.

That is why I started this thread.