Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bassani Firepower Slip-ons For "72" part 1

Old 04-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Sweet72
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassani Firepower Slip-ons For "72" part 1

I just want to share my thoughts on the install and performance of the 3" slash down Bassani Firepower slip-ons.Like a lot of guys I am new to the HD family and i'm learning as I go.I have a Lucky Green 2013 "72" sportster.So, i'll start with the install.Here are some hints:First remove the heat shields and then loosen the bolts on the clamp that joins the muffler and head pipe and scoot the clamp up onto the head pipe and immediatly put a liberal amount of WD-40 where the muffler joins the head pipe.Hold a rag behind the area you spray so you don't douse your wheel,tire and swingarm with lube.Then go put on Neil Young's 1991 live version of "Cortez the Killer", open a beer and start loosening bolts.Start with the ones under the muffler. After that loosen the ones that connect the head pipe to the engine.Loosen them just enough to give you a little movement because you have to get the pipe off of the crossover.If you are super new to this the crossover is what the mufflers are mounted to and basically connect the two mufflers together creating a kind of two into one pipe.The Bassani Firepower does not utilize the crossover feature.Do not freak out.All you're going to do is mount the mufflers.You do not have to plug the holes because the holes were connected to the stock mufflers and since the bassani doesn't have those holes you don't have anything to plug and now the crossover is just the mounting bracket.Ignore the holes.They now have nothing to do with the exhaust.Moving on.It is imperative that you put WD-40 or something similar on the muffler/headpipe connection.If you don't you are in for a battle and all I can say is good luck.I removed the first one in about two hours and i'm still sore.I took the second one off in about 5 minutes after using WD and letting it sit for a while.Your choice.So after it sits for a while get started. Wiggle back and forth first because you have to lift it (the muffler) off of the crossover.once you get the muffler free of the crossover try to spin it towards the bike so that the crossover hole in your muffler faces the ground.I then took my socket wrench and put the handle in the hole and used it to spin and wiggle off the muffler.Be careful of your head pipe.Try to be as gentle as possible and not get it out of shape.I didn't have any issues with that, but be careful.So after you get the mufflers off get a rag and wipe down the head pipes real good and then put some anti-seize on the pipe where the new muffler will mount.They'll come off a lot easier next time you take your mufflers off.Then just reverse you steps and double check all your bolts and wipe your pipes down real good before you start.Hope this helps someone.I was lost when I started and just took my time and it turned out perfect.The fit and finish of the Bassani's is real nice.I did have to do some super gentle bending on the rear heat shield to make them fit perfect but i'm not sure that I didn't tweak them when I was taking them off.Anyway,enjoy.I'll put up another post about the sound and performance.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Sweet72
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bassani Firepower Slip-ons For "72" part 2

These mufflers are LOUD!!!They have a beautiful deep,deep rumble and just a touch of throttle will unleash hell.I absolutely love them.They are basically a 3" straight pipe with minimal baffle.If you want an obnoxiously loud pipe these will do.Don't worry about a re-map.Just put them on and go.Now,I say that,but i'm speaking about a 2013 bone stock sportster 72 in Bentonville,Ar.So my elevation and climate may be different from yours.This is strictly my experience with these pipes.Like I said they are loud.I did lose maybe a tiny bit of lower end power.Barely noticeable.Mid and Top I got some decent gains.What I notice most is the torque.I shift less because 3rd and 4th pull harder.Nail it hard in 1st and 2nd and you will tear *** and feel it.Overall I'm super happy with my choice.But to the new guys i'll say this:if you get these pipes you will have a very loud bike and that is a very cool thing.Don't be a DICK with them.I live in a small-ish town (birthplace of Wal-Mart) with an old time town square where people eat at sidewalk cafes and enjoy the fountains and walking their pets.I now have enough torque on my bike to basically idle through the square without being an ******* and rapping off my pipes,ruining peoples peaceful afternoon.Sometimes I like being a dick,say,in the wal-mart parking lot or when I pull up next to a Yamaha or a car full of girls.Its fun I get it.Just don't be a douch bag.Remember:with great power comes great responsibility.You are now a rolling chariot of thunder.
Be awesome!But don't be a douche bag.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM
HawkIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Sweet72!

I'm sure this will help me when I get around to changing my stock mufflers for the V&H HS Slip ons

Well done though

Hawk

Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Being a douche bag is not cool

Old 04-13-2014, 05:00 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

There was no reason to create two threads for this one story. I have merged them together.