Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you enlighten me re the XR1200?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Can you enlighten me re the XR1200?

I started out by wanting to build a Scrambler style Sportster but then realized HD made the XR1200 that fit much of the parameters of what I wanted. On paper.

There are some for sale. One is in the next town over. One is 2 1/2 hours from here, and so on.

It was actually only manufactured in the US for a few years and was discontinued after the 2012 lineup.

What were the problems with the bike? Did they discontinue it purely because a lack of rider interest? Or did it have issues?

If I were to buy a 2009 model, does it match the ordinary Sportster configuration so that there would be ready availability of parts?

It seems that the HD bikes I'm interested in are the ones HD doesn't like. Buell Ulysses. XR1200.

BTW, I'm interested in it for cruising around town and for riding on my father in law's farm. He's got 400 acres divided into four sections. The fields are mostly smooth and level. The most significant obstacle is the cow crap. He's also got trails cut through his woods for his pickup truck and my wife's 4X4. The four sections are connected by dirt roads, gravel roads, and very poorly maintained pavement. The dirt roads, when really wet, are more like driving on sheets of soap.

Is the XR1200 at all suited for the above?

Oh, and whatever I get will have to be towed to the farm. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive and I'd be taking hunting clothes, long gun, ammo, calling devices, crossbow, etc. There's not enough room on any bike for all that. So, the bike has to be towable as well.

Last edited by Strugatsio; 05-31-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:55 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out and google for "XR1200X tank swelling".

Old 05-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain

Thanks. I just did that. This looks unnerving. However, none of the bikes for sale show any swelling in the tank.

But here's an example of some poor guy's bike. Heartbreaking.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the best Sporty they made. Handles very well, essentially its a Buell powerplant so it makes good power but tends to have he power up higher in the rpm range. Suspension and brakes are above a standard by a lot but not race quality. As always, easily improved.
There are no major issues, the tank swelling was hit and miss.
I have one I'll be selling due to health concerns and I'm going to miss it a lot.
My feeling is that it will be a future collectible in a fairly limited market and those that appreciate them will be glad to have one.
It tends to appeal to those who have some sense of interest in HD's performance history, hard to ride it and not think of yourself as Mert Lawill starting at the mile.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
Thanks. I just did that. This looks unnerving. However, none of the bikes for sale show any swelling in the tank.

But here's an example of some poor guy's bike. Heartbreaking.

If you remove the fuel and let tank dry, it goes back into shape.
Not really an option, unless you plan to have your bike sitting.
Ethanol gas and those tanks (as well as some Ducatis, Aprilias, Triumph, etc...) do swell. That's granted.
I really loved that bike, but that was total turn off, and HD was not willing to address the issue. Just keep replacing tanks till warranty expired, then you were on your own.
Ducati solved that problem in newer Monsters, with fuel cell being separated from painted skin, and with the ability for the cell, to expand and move more freely under the skins.
Now they went back to metal tanks on both new Monsters and Superbikes.

in the XR1200X it is not only a matter of look. The expanding tank might catch the upper skin and cracks it.
In the better of cases, you end up with a 1" gap, which is fugly, or you might end up with cracked tank skin.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:50 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain

If we're talking about a bike that's several years old already, and the tank has not swollen, is it safe to assume it's not going to swell?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:12 PM
HotIceHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
If we're talking about a bike that's several years old already, and the tank has not swollen, is it safe to assume it's not going to swell?
No. If I had to unload that bike, I would keep gas out of it for a while, show you that tank is not swollen, and profit.
Tank swell with gas within it, under the sun, humidity, etc... normal operating conditions.
Do yourself a favor. Do not trust me, and especially do not trust people trying to unload their bikes.
It is plenty of documentation around the net. Look for it, and make up your mind by yourself.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:20 PM
BootheatsBUGS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a different gas tank for it? Is that really the only issue with the bike?

Doesn't even seem like that big of an issue.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is an '09. There has never been an issue with the tank. At worst you might have to replace the skin but it seems pretty infrequent to me. Of all reasons one might not get an XR the tank swelling is pretty petty.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Searcher1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three HD's including an 09 XR. I love this bike. I have a ranch which is WAY out of the way. Getting to it has me riding from two lane black top to single lane blacktop, to winding bumpy blacktop to single lane gravel. The XR is comfortable, responsive and a whole lot of fun under 60mph. Over 60 mph, I have a number of other bikes I would rather be on.