Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle stage 2 kit installed....Question about exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Dreamtab
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle stage 2 kit installed....Question about exhaust?

So I just installed the Screaming Eagle stage 2 kit with cams with the tuner and the dealer mentioned to me that my V&H big radius will effect my hp since its not a 2 in 1 setup....Whats everyone's thoughts?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What's Screaming Eagle? You mean the scam sold by HD?

Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Dreamtab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
What's Screaming Eagle? You mean the scam sold by HD?
I take it that the SE is not very popular with the Harley crowd?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamtab
Quoting Dalton from Roadhouse: "Opinions vary."

Lots of folks go with the Screamin' Eagle thingies from HD, the way I see it, for a couple-few reasons...because it's more convenient for them to have the stealership undertake the engine [or whatever the product may be] modifications, because they figure that the HD stuff is designed to work the best with HD bikes, they don't have the necessary tools/skill to get that deep into wrenching, or they don't have the time or desire [or perhaps they're simply naive or unaware of the other possibilities] to fully investigate all the different possibilities out there from other sources such as Hammer Performance, NRHS Performance, and others.

Historically speaking, the SE stuff has been overpriced, and the stealerships have a way of "convincing" those who are looking to make such upgrades to have them do the work by making claims of the introduction of parts other than Harley manufactured parts will cause warrantee issues. And if you're not a well informed consumer, you may be taken for a "ride" - and it won't be on two wheels! Remember, the HD dealers are in existance for one reason alone...to make $$.

The hardcore guys will always recommend anything other than HD for the simple reason that there are better options out there that they can combine/use to cater to their very specific requirements or level of performance they desire or are looking to acheive.

=8^)

Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default …. pipes...

DreamTab; let's talk pipes. I am no expert, but here is my opinion:
I also have SE stage I (fuel mapping) and stage 2 (from 88 to 95 cu) plus a 203 cam, and stock pipes. Do I want or need more 'oomph' ? Not at all.
The combination of air intake (flow rate); cam profile (engine breathing… inhale and exhale; how long, how much, how quickly), fuel mapping (stage 1) to take full advantage of your cam profile; the pipes will be for looks or performance or leave um be. Matching air in/air out is necessary for a good burn rate, smooth power, and allows for increased rpm (more power). True, pipes can and do effect power, but do you NEED them. That depends on you and your tuner and what you are trying to accomplish, at what price. I will almost never take my bike over 90mph or race it, so high rpm power is wasted on how I ride. Sure, I could put some V&H short shots on there and get more top end power (which can be mapped by your fuel program), but I see no reason for it. Maybe you do.
As a side note: I have recognized that other people are very quick to spend my money….

Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamtab

no. just aftermarket elitists. they are usually in the right in most respects and helpful but, have a nasty habit of assailing folks that don't want what they want.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I understand, unlike the Short Shots, the Big Radius actually gives decent power gains. 2 into 1 is the best way to go for performance though.

Lots of people use SE parts and are happy. Yes there are lots of better products out there but there are worse too. If you get a good deal on SE parts, there is nothing wrong with using them IMHO. Your parts are already installed so just enjoy them now. Who cares what other people think.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

Since your dealership installed the parts its likely that if anything is wrong with the parts causing a mechanical failure they will cover it, that being said for new bikes with factory warranty's if you put an SE engine and swap out from the stock my dealership said it will void the warranty since SE parts are race oriented and not covered. You could probably argue until your blue in the face and maybe eventually convince someone to cover it but why go through all the hassle? Personally I think stage 1 is enough on any newer bike that still has a warranty just to avoid the dealer robbing you blind and complaining about any mods that you do.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Dreamtab
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys.